A Tip for (wanting-to-be) Morning Exercisers

Options

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    There's another app - for Android, I don't know if it's on iOS - called Gentle Alarm. It's got two tricks. One I don't use is the "solve a puzzle to shut off the alarm" one - though it doesn't have the neat barcode idea, just (I think) math puzzles. But the trick I do use is that it sets off a very quiet alarm half an hour before the alarm you set. The idea is that most people, by the end of the night, are in a 30-minute cycle of deep and light sleep - so either the pre-alarm or the full alarm will go off while you're in light sleep, which makes it _much_ easier to wake up. It works less well if you're chronically sleep-deprived - but I'm a night person who barely drags herself out of bed in the mornings, and even though I've consciously heard the pre-alarm less than 10 times in the four months I've had this app as my alarm clock, I'm waking up at a decent hour almost every morning and really waking up, not just dragging myself out of bed.

It comes in a free version with full functionality EXCEPT it doesn't ring any alarms on Wednesdays. I used that one for a week, then bought it (even though the free version would have done all I needed - just set another alarm on Wednesday. But I wanted to support the developer).

You can set the volume of the alarm and the pre-alarm separately; there are lots of rings for the alarm, or you can set it to play your own music (from a playlist or a genre or a particular song or...). The main alarm fades in over a period that's also adjustable - default is 5 minutes. It's a great app. I'm going to suggest the scan-a-barcode task to him...

That sounds really cool too! I like the concept, except the math part. But I'll look at that one too. Thanks for the reference :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Apparently nothing like this in the Blackberry app store... :angry:
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump! What an awesome idea!!
  • gypsycoyote
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! WOW I am going to try out the barcode one :D That would make it easy for me to wake up in the morning. Once again, thanks! :D
  • LAYLAH17
    LAYLAH17 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    RL
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Benjamin Franklin said, "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." The key is early to bed!
  • socioles
    socioles Posts: 6
    Options
    Im with Jamotto. Was super stoked to get this app and would even suck up the $1 for it but all the features you mentioned are not on it. Plus, it only has gotten 2 star reviews.

Are we missing something? :(
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    That's such a good idea! Can you get it for Blackberries? Will have to check it out!!
  • smilingselena
    smilingselena Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i have the app as well i use the shake mode i have to literally shake my phone untill the number drops from 1000 to 0 lol
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    awesome!!!!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I found the app, and it is such a cool idea!
  • RaysfanATL
    RaysfanATL Posts: 94
    Options
    I am lucky, I usually work late morning or afternoons, so I don't have to worry about an alarm clock waking me up! I roll out of bed, and head to the gym!
  • KBienn
    KBienn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    here is how i get out of bed by 430am:

i set 1 alarm for 410am, then i take a caffeine tablet (water and pill right next to bed)

by the time my 2nd alarm goes off 4:30, the caffeine has gotten into my system and i'm wide awake!

i've been doing this for years and it works great for me! side note: the caffeine table is only caffeine and it's the same amount as in 1 cup of coffee. also, i don't drink any coffee or other caffeinated beverages so i know that i'm over doing the caffeine
  • sarah_boombah
    sarah_boombah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump! thanks, i def need this!!
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Brilliant idea. Love it. What ever works :o)
  • Daydreams406
    Daydreams406 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Im with Jamotto. Was super stoked to get this app and would even suck up the $1 for it but all the features you mentioned are not on it. Plus, it only has gotten 2 star reviews.

Are we missing something? :(

Strange....I looked it up in the app store on my phone, and it is a free app with 4 1/2 stars. So yeah, I would say you missed something.
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The only one I found for iPhone costs 99 cents, only does math problems, and apparently only has one alarm sound option. Has anyone found any others for iPhone? I was so excited! But the iPhone one doesn't sound anywhere near as cool :-(

Thats all i can find aswell :sad:
  • ssanto
    ssanto Posts: 53
    Options
    i am most definitely not a morning person and i have been wanting to start working out in the morning but haven't been to successful at it.

this seems like a great way to make me get out of bed! thanks for sharing!
  • Allison714
    Allison714 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome! I def need to check this out...thanks!