WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2012

Options

Replies

• kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Everyone!

Laura80111- Love this!-Logging, Moving and Drinking will get us to our goals...LET'S GO!

To all the newbies- I'm still new too only been at it for a couple weeks but love this site and this group!

Finally got results from knee MRI-no tears or sprains-just same as x-rays no cartilage left:sad: So, good news is trying a new prescription and I can start water walking again but no more classes. Going to try to avoid surgery and just continue to lose the weight. Pretty bummed that things have gotten to this point but I always feel better after reading all your posts here. Everyone is so upbeat, positive and supportive!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Happy monday ladies,
    DH and I had a great time in Port Townsend. The rain didn't dampen our mood at all. In fact we took quite a few walks in the rain. Saturday was a good day for walking. I logged 22242 steps on the fit bit and climbed 39 flights of stairs. It help offset the wonderful food and drink I consumed. We saw a lot of deer and took lots of great pictures. It was good to get home to the Bodi boy and Ritter bit and I am glad we aren't going any where for a while.:bigsmile:

robin bodi and ritter
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening .....

Hi to the new "Newbies" ...I'm not going to say Hi "Oldies" ...'cos we're not ...are we!!!!

:smile: I can't say I've had a busy day 'cos I haven't!!

The trip to the clinic with my DIL and the twins was ...:ohwell: an anti climax really. None of the hustle and bustle I remember. A quick weigh and that was all. No toys ...or rocking horse! No real interest in the babies by the health visitors or nurses. Whether it was because motherhood is not new to my DIL I'm not sure but I do hope they show more interest for a new mum.
    :heart: It was nice to have more cuddles though and a chat and coffee when we got home.

I bit the bullet and decided to cut 4" off my new dress for the christening. I've been dithering about the length or rather being lazy!...So now it's the length it should be if I was taller ...if you know what I mean!!!:laugh: Oh to be just that little bit taller! DH quipped as he saw me with the scissors ..."Well, if you muck it up you could wear the other dress you wore for the last christening!! It's very similar.!!":noway: He of little faith!!

:glasses: We actually saw some sun today ....and as my friend from Madrid asked ...after she told me it was 40C there .....did you take a photo? And she asked if we could send some rain as they haven't had any there for months. So ...I suppose we're not so hard done by here really!

I'm off to watch some of the tennis we've recorded so ...

:drinker: BFN....hope your week goes well folks.
    Jackie
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! Had a great weekend..massage was blissful, was totally "in the zone "! I managed to vacuum the pool before we headed up to the lake. Sunday we went kayaking (even though DH had chores he wanted to do) we kayaked for 4 hours...mybest guess is we went 6 miles to see the bridge they are building across the lake (pretty cool) and then had to paddle back:noway: it was fun but we agreed we probably don't need to go that far again...DH then had to mow the lawn...and half of it has to be done with the weedwacker...poor guy, he was beat!!

I did my workout after work today...I am trying to do intervals..I did a 2 mile bike ride and then 10 minutes (3 miles) on the bike and then 10 minutes on the rower...not sure how far on the rower...the computer thing needs a new battery. Tomorrow I hope to do my weights and make up my own kettlebell routine and try some of Barbies yoga pose /lunge/row move..glad I am in the basement by myself because I might be providing too much entertainment to other people!!:laugh:

I did ok last week keeping my food within my calories allowance without counting the exercise, so will try to stay focused on that again this week....the exercise piece is starting to be easier and just part of routine..a couple of years ago the water became part of routine (I don't go anywhere without a bottle of water:drinker:)...someday I hope the food piece will be just part of the routine too!

Have a great evening, my friends, hugs and high fives all around!
    :heart:
    Jen
  • rhondawparker
    rhondawparker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh, I think this group is for me! I am way over 50 and really frustrated because I feel I am eating sensibly and haven't lost but 3 #. I know I need to add exercise, but I do not like any type of exercise and can't stand to sweat and since I live in Mississippi and it is nearly July I avoid the heat and sweating at all costs! lol

I am looking forward to reading everbody's posts!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    lizmil - welcome! Do you know when you'll be going to Disneyland?

sizzy - welcome. Any time is the best time to start.

Woke up eary this morning (not sure why) so I did an hour of yoga. It's nice that My Fitness Coach lets you determine honw long of a workout you will have. As I recalled, they just repeated things to make it longer, but that's OK. I do wish that she gave more directions. When you're in a downlward position, you can't really look at the screen to see what she's doing. But I think the people who made this are more "into" the graphics and not so much into the exercises. I must say, the background was very pretty. But when you're in a downward position, you can't see the background. Oh well, it WAS good for something different. Now off to the extremepump class. Tomorrow I'll do Jillian Michael's Extreme Shed and Shred DVD.

lamadre - welcome! You've come to a good place for support, that's for sure.

Linder - stop by very often, we'd love to get to know more about you.

Suz - so glad to hear that you're feeling better.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: SuzyQ, I'm so glad your surgery is over and you are ready to get back to exercise and being yourself again.

:flowerforyou: Jen, I figured out that my pose most resembles the yoga pose warrior 3....if you google it, you'll see pictures and directions....I love the stretch and the strengthening of my legs......it feels great on my back....I do 100 of them each day (not holding the pose for 30 seconds but for long enough to feel the stretch)....I can do them while walking the dog........this morning I was doing them and I looked up and saw one of my neighbors in his yard with his dog and he called out a greeting to me......thank goodness I'm old enough to not worry what people think :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: to all the new members, I hope you will keep coming back and become part of the family....I have been posting on this thread for more than three years and it has changed my life.....if you don't like exercise or don't know how to start, go for a walk.....if it's too hot or humid outside, then walk in place in your house while watching TV...get off the couch and away from the computer and do something....if you're moving, you're losing...if you read this thread every day, you'll find exercise and eating ideas from women who have found ways to exercise in spite of health issues and reluctance......never, never, never give up.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where the weather was nice enough for me to work on my rock project in the yard all day, but now it's raining
  • holliwood322
    holliwood322 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    awesome job, friend!!:flowerforyou:
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    Just want to thank Barbie, for all her posts and encouragement:flowerforyou: to us all ... as well as to the other 'regulars' I notice signing in. It is very insiring to us 'newbies' - I have only been here 4 months, and I am not a daily reader ... though trying harder to be ..... but really feels like 'home'. so to those of you out there thinking you might join this group ... I say go for it & good luck to all:smile:
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Just what I'm looking for, can I join you ladies please. Been counting calories and exercising steadily for about 4 months. Try to eat healthy but no longer prepared to try and be perfect!! Enjoying my strength training which I am new to and also cycle and walk. It's lovely to chat and discuss the challenges of our lifestyle with people of a similar age. Not so warm here in Bonnie Scotland!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!!!!

Hope everyone is having a good week so far drinking all your water and logging all the food, and exercising! This site has really helped me see myself differently, I love it!

Hello to all the newcomers, I am fairly new as well. This is a great place for motivation and support! I try to check in everyday, however lately its been every few days or so.

Thank you Barbie for starting this and all the encouragement you give, you are an awesome inspiration!!!

Hug to all
    DeeDee:flowerforyou:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - yep, I've already had a lot of water today. (Can you hear me sloshing?) Ha.

I am trying to take in all of your positive vibes regarding being active. That's my thorniest problem. Like everyone, I have a number of health issues and kind of broken parts. I have excellent intentions and my head wants to really hit this hard, my body lets me down most days. I have gotten to 60 minutes of activity a handful of times. I'd like to do that more often but WITHOUT causing more injury and pain. Meanwhile, I'll try to be content with whatever I can do.

So I remain.........a lady trying to live a healthier life.

Have a great day.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: it's gonna be another HOT Tuesday:glasses:

kathyszoo- so glad the MRI came back with no tears or sprains, sorry to hear that it will be a bit harder for you, glad that you have a pool that you can do the water walking in, hoping that you are able to push through this and avoid surgery.

Robin- walking in the rain always brings me fond memories of times when we have been caught in a downpour or two. A couple of years ago we were at a lacross game for the 4th of July and it just started pouring, we had our slickers and umbrellas but they really didn't do any good so we decided to leave and not wait for it to stop and see the end of the game and fireworks...hubby wound up carring me over the rushing water in the parking lot...we were so wet that all we could do was laugh because we really did look like we'd just jumped into a pool with our clothes on:laugh:

Jackie- taking the twins to the Dr for a check up and no fun or drama...I'm sure your DIL was glad for it, but I understand you wanting it to be a little more...something:wink: I totally understand the wishing for a bit taller (I'm 4'10.5" on my last measure:grumble: was 4'11" until a year ago:sad: ) I bought a dress at a shop a couple of years ago and it wasn't petite but I really loved it and decided I could shorten it...it wasn't until I got it home and really looked at it that I realized it had three layers that had to be shortened:noway: it took longer than I would have liked but it came out GREAT and I still love it:heart:

Jen- your exercise sounds fantastic, what a great workout and mixing it up:drinker: I can't say that I'm that good yet...I love what I do but am pretty much in a rut, but a rut that I love ...so I just keep telling myself if I love it it's good for me:wink:

Michele- up early and then a hour of yoga:drinker: I'm impressed...can't say that I have every done exercise when I've woken up early, maybe some day:huh:

Barbie- you continue to inspire us:flowerforyou: Thank You.:flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all you newbiew:flowerforyou: Come back often and let us get to know you, this is a great place for total encouragement.

Yesterday was another one of those record breaking days, 105 and it's supposed to be that again today...they are saying we might see some monsoons next week, which would be so wonderful as we now have 12 fires here in Colorado. It's just so hot, dry and then windy:noway: not a good combination at all.

Did my 40 min on the bike in the basement last night and then about 8 we took Peanut for a walk aka mosey...it's a good thing I don't count his walks as my exercise because it would amount to no exercise at all...poor little doggie is just getting old he'll be 13 in October.

Lots to do and never enough time. Everyone have a great day don't forget to drink plenty of water:drinker: it's very important, log your food and let's keep moving.

Laura80111:smile:
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone :happy: ,

Michelle, I’m just catching up on weekend posts. I could picture your frustration with your family and almost hear you talking! Vent here anytime! My pet peeve is when I take time & care to produce a perfectly balanced dish and DH sprays salt all over it before he takes the first bite. Come on! :grumble:

Wizzywig, I hope you made your steps on the weekend!

JB your raspberry dessert sounds too, too good. I have a pile of rhubarb on the kitchen counter, it will be jam by the end of the day.

Rose, I’m pleased to read that you are safely home. What a lovely gift from your DH :flowerforyou: a landscaped yard!

Jen, that cruise sounds like a perfect getaway, so glad to hear it was sunny and calm on the ocean.

Richmondlady, your suggestion for a “safety leash for pedometer” reminded me of how I lost my first iPod…yes, out of the back pocket and into the toilet. :noway: No one felt properly sorry for my loss once I confessed the circumstances. I ask you, what is so funny about that? :grumble: I must say it was a good lesson, I have not made that mistake twice.

SuzyQ – so glad to hear you are feeling better. Counting steps the best place to start!

Jen it sounds like you have a fully equipped gym in your basement :drinker: and you are having fun with it.

Barbie, I’ve decided that one of the best things about aging is that I really don’t worry what people think. I just quote Popeye “I am what I am and that’s all what I am” and go along my merry way.

I added weighted step-ups to my workout on Saturday & yesterday and I think it was too much for my foot, I am going to take it easy today and work on my "Teacher Of English as a Second Language" course assignments.

My weight is up a little :noway: the consequence of feeling as if I'm on holiday and relaxing the rules a bit too much. Keeping track of summer eating & drinking is going to be more of a challenge as the daily routines are different and we will be at our cabin instead of at home. I will remember the basics: drink lots of water, keep moving. Plan what I eat and eat what I plan!

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

Goals for June:
    24 hours of exercise including weight training. I’m at 20 hours 30 minutes! :drinker:
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination! Today I will tidy my office, yes I will.
    Act the way I want to feel. Be kind.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Question for you ladies? At 57 and although used to cardio, totally new to lifting weights. Following NRWLFW but at my own pace!!! Using dumbbells but find the overhead press quite challenging even with just 1 and 1/2 kgs always seem to hurt my neck muscles although I try very hard to use correct form. Also my step up height is about 9-10 ins, is that sufficient. Reading other posts you should be aiming to have your knee about hip height!!!!!! Tried that today and no way could I get up there. Just wondered how you ladies were managing?
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    had a busy weekend I am trying to get caught up on all of the post, I think I am 1/2 though the Monday post so here is what I have so far.

Rose so happy to hear Matthew is home and doing so good and also that you made it home as well. Our husbans mean well, My hubby cooks for me also and I love that he dose, sometimes I will eat part of whatever he cooks and take the other part to work the next day for lunch or give it to someone else for thier lunch, it works out better for me that way. it was so sweet of your hubby to landscape the yard for your BD and oh by the way Happy Birthday! :drinker:

Jellyfishjen : welcome back and happy to hear your cruise went well. It is hard not to eat on those ships there is food everywere and so much to do. you will be back to normal in no time at all! :wink:

katiejarr your dessert made with the muffin top and cool whip sounds good, we use to make someting like that in WW , we used chocolate gram crackers and fat free cool whip , kind of like a Ice cream samwhich, not bad. I may have to try yours. Thanks for sharing it.:wink:

AHealthierSuz : good to hear all went well and that you are on your way to a healther you. Keep us posted and we will help any way we can. :happy:

Kackie : LOL Wow looks like you had 2 showers , but a least you got your walk in and you don't have to worrie about the rain. good going!!:happy:

Laura 80111: the Renaissance Festival sounds like a lot of fun! You did pretty good , I don't know if I could have , but I guess I will find out in Aug, when we have our big state fair . :tongue:

rjadams : wow that is a lot of steps and climbing , you and your DH must be feeling good and you earned a rest.

here is a funny story , yesterday after breakfast we , my granddaughters , my niece, and husband were sitting there and the dog goes over to where one of the girls layed his chain and put his nose on it and kind of whined and then looked at us ,as if to say ok now it is time to go for a walk. it was so cute, so the girls and I took him on a long walk. he has never done that befor it was so cute.:laugh:

you all have a wonderful day , it is so busy here today . must go for now . :bigsmile:
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I too am a teacher off for the summer. I am also trying to get a good routine in place before September. I lost 70 pounds since Sept. 1st, but mostly through diet. I need to step up the exercise to lose a little more and then keep it off for life! It is such a challenge to keep exercising once school starts in the fall.I am going to try going to the gym before school at least 3 days a week. I am an early riser anyway and will "practice" this morning routine this summer- although maybe not quite so early! Good luck to you. This group is fantastic! Great motivation and lots of ideas.
    Deb
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The above post was for laniv. (Still figuring this site out!) Deb
  • grandmasally13
    Options
    Hi, I'm 50+ and joined MFP in Mar - I've lost 19 pounds so far & have more to lose. I've enjoyed reading your posts & really gain encouragement from you all! My biggest problem is sticking to my healthy eating on the weekends....... I know I just need to be strong, but it's so easy to relax on the weekends (away from the stressful job) and EAT! I'm going to put forth greater effort this coming weekend - & I wish you all the best as July approaches!
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening everyone, just stopped by to log in my food, catch up on posts, and say Hi! :smile: My Daughter is an extreme couponer and has invited me to go shopping with her tonight when she gets off work (8pm) :huh: . There is a Harris Teeter about 1/2 hour from our house and they are doubling coupons up to 2 dollars tonight only. :wink: I am staying on track with eating and exercise, I just hope that darn scale cooperates Friday:laugh: I gotta go get ready so everyone have a wonderful evening.
    :heart: Love ((((Hugs)))) and prayers, Rose :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: