Thoughts on Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The latest I have read is they have found a link btw diet soda drinkers and obesity by way of cravings for carbs (I believe)
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    What else would I put my rum in? (It's usually Coke Zero, actually, just because I prefer the taste.)

I'm not a huge soda drinker, but I do usually have 1 - 2 glasses of Crystal Light Iced Tea in the evenings - that was a trade out from wine, so a definite step in the right direction as far as calories go. I don't see that it's hurt me any.

The thing I have heard most often (and I don't have any research to back this up) is that the sweet taste of diet drinks triggers your body for digestion, which could make you crave food when your body finds nothing to digest. Since I usually drink my tea with dinner, I don't think this is a problem. But what do I know?
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    "They" also say that DHMO is bad for you too (and yet we have it all the time!!!!). If having Diet Coke or other diet soda's of your choice does not stall your weight loss, I don't see a problem with it.
  • evenduchess83
    evenduchess83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think that diet soda is ok in moderation. I have tried to cut out soda but my hubby is always bringing some kind of soda in the house. UGH.

I recently been hooked on the 5 calorie to go things that you can put into your water to flavor it. I find myself drinking more "water" that way.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I like Diet Coke better than Coke Zero. I also consider soda a 'sometimes treat.'

Lady Homebrewer - 3yrs
    MFP Smarty-pants and sometimes food logger
    Also, boobs.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Is there research on it or just internet myths? I believe it's harmless. The FDA believes it's harmless.

I doubt the FDA's opinion greatly on most things. It's obscene how deep the food industry has the FDA in it's pocket. I digress...

That's not to say that I believe aspartame is bad for you, but since it was discovered in a lab by some scientist being an idiot and tasting some unknown chemical and going "oooh, that tastes sweet!", I try to avoid it.
  • etrader24
    etrader24 Posts: 21
    Options
    i recently gave up all soda from my life. i havent had a sip in 3 months, and to know that is more satisfying that a coke zero. (: i have also lost more weight than i would have had i not given up soda, because i lost it more rapidly than i did before i did that.
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I only have it with rum. Yumyum
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I can't stand regular sodas! I have been drinking all kinds of diet soda and iced tea for over 30 years. Either I have a weird body chemistry, or the popular studies are very wrong. Anyway, it doesn't seem to adversely affect me in any perceivable way.

^^this, mostly. Although i've cut down considerably and drink mostly water, I will have one on occasion.

*says in Homer Simpson voice* "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......diet coke"
  • Abbygrlbff
    Abbygrlbff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Coke, but I stopped drinking all soda last year on a daily basis (I still drink it on the weekends as part of a cocktail), and I have started just drinking water instead. I feel a lot better and actually have more energy. I felt like it was making me hungry, but I think it's just a personal thing. I know many people who drink it on a daily basis and are losing weight.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I only have it with rum. Yumyum

Co-signed.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    The latest I have read is they have found a link btw diet soda drinkers and obesity by way of cravings for carbs (I believe)

There's nothing conclusive to that. There's been a lot of speculation, but no link.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-sodas-and-weight-gain-not-so-fast
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    That stuff is not good for you. It's pretty much like drinking liquid chemicals - not good for your body! There are 'soda' like drinks that are made from all natural sweetener, like zevia. You should look into those :)
    Everything you drink is a chemical (from a scientific standpoint). Now dependent on how your body reacts to it is how you gauge if it's good for you or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Seriously, why would you, as a health and fitness professional, advocate processed drinks?
    You should be encouraging people to strive for an ideal - not some chemical laced soda.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of research into aspartame and the effects on weight loss and metabolism. I do drink one can a day. I had a break for 5 years from all caffeine related products because I thought they were exasperating another condition and previous to that I did drink a lot and lost a lot of weight.

What are your thoughts on it. I drink mainly sugar free squash the rest of the time and the odd hot drink.

A. To me, Diet Coke tastes like liquified buttholes.
    B. In 20 years, aspartame will be the Agent Orange and asbestos of our generation.
    C. Cute baby.

THIS
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Every morning. And on really rough days, one in the afternoon. Im not willing to give it up and so far, I dont think it has hindered my weight loss.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot of research into aspartame and the effects on weight loss and metabolism. I do drink one can a day. I had a break for 5 years from all caffeine related products because I thought they were exasperating another condition and previous to that I did drink a lot and lost a lot of weight.

What are your thoughts on it. I drink mainly sugar free squash the rest of the time and the odd hot drink.

A. To me, Diet Coke tastes like liquified buttholes.
    B. In 20 years, aspartame will be the Agent Orange and asbestos of our generation.
    C. Cute baby.

I agree, chemical *kitten*-storm IMHO :P. Having previously worked for a pop manufacturer and seeing how it's manufactured, I'd say avoid it in your diet. Organic apple juice I've heard is really good if you're trying to cut back or cut out soda from your diet, as the tart flavor helps satiate that need for something sweet!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    drink water if you need caffeine drink unsweet tea.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I love it....but I stay clear of it!!
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I think that its made with aspartame, not splenda? My nursing instructor told us that aspartame (nutrasweet) is neurotoxic by allowing too much glutamate into the cells, which may eventually cause multiple sclerosis, parkinsons disease, alzheimers, brain lesions. She said that splenda is not as bad for you.

She also said that when you open the pop and all of the mist comes off of it, it is actually formaldehyde (embalming fluid), there is much more of it when the diet coke is at room temp.

Real pop is healthier for you than diet. You are not going to automatically die if you drink it, it happens slowly.

The embalming fluid part is AHHHHHH. I think I'll stick to my unsweet tea.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    That stuff is not good for you. It's pretty much like drinking liquid chemicals - not good for your body! There are 'soda' like drinks that are made from all natural sweetener, like zevia. You should look into those :)
    Everything you drink is a chemical (from a scientific standpoint). Now dependent on how your body reacts to it is how you gauge if it's good for you or not.

IDEA Fitness member
    Seriously, why would you, as a health and fitness professional, advocate processed drinks?
    You should be encouraging people to strive for an ideal - not some chemical laced soda.
    I advocate "healthy living". Drinking a diet soda a day isn't going to lead to an unhealthy life. Part of a healthy lifestyle is ENJOYING it and since consumption of food and drink is part of that, enjoying what you like is part of a healthy lifestyle as long as it's not over consumed.

IDEA Fitness member