To see or not to see ... Magic Mike

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I agree that in "real life" I am more interested in a good guy with a good personality than big muscles, but if I'm gonna go see a movie...why would I care about the personality of the character? Looks like fun and a good time w/my girlfriends...I'm all for it. :blushing:

I graduated with a writing degree. If the plot and writing in a movie are stupid and shallow, I kinda get pissed. So no, I wouldn't be entertained by this at all. I'd be sitting there like, "Okay, they're dancing...what's next? Oh a shirt comes off, that's nice. Seriously, do they have a backstory at all? No kids to feed? Just doing it for the money? WHERE'S THE PLOOOOT!?" I actually left in the middle of Johnny Depp's "Libertine" for similar reasons, everyone was having sex but the plot wasn't going anywhere. Blargh. *siiiiigh* >.<

Well colored me impressed... NOT.

I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I'm just saying why it's not for me. Some of us need substance in our movies and find most celebrities unattractive. *shrug*

:huh: Seriously? Geez, relax, people. To each their own. If you don't want to see it, no need to make those of us who would like to feel like we're uneducated. Just because you have an education doesn't mean everything has to be high brow. I read murder mysteries and I also read educational texts. I like some situation comedies that are completely brainless, I also like to watch the local public television station's educational programming. I can go to a hair band rock concert on a Monday night (hey, I just did last night! lol) and go to see one of Shakespeare's plays on another night, it just means I have diverse interests, I'm no better than anyone else...it's called being well-rounded. I have a BA in English and a Master's in Education, but so what? Sometimes I just want to go see a good, fun, silly movie, with some eye candy that does NOT cost me any calories, that takes my mind off the daily grind for a bit. I also like to go to the local theater and see serious, intricate plays with excellent acting.

If you don't want to see the movie, don't. But don't insult people who do. Thank you.
    It's not about being educated, it's about being a writer and not being a writer. We look at things differently. I just don't enjoy a movie that doesn't have a good story. When I was in high school, I saw Sliver with my two best friends, who are highly intelligent. They loved it for the erotica. I hated it because there was no substance. I need substance to enjoy a movie, TV show or book.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    It's not about being educated, it's about being a writer and not being a writer. We look at things differently. I just don't enjoy a movie that doesn't have a good story. When I was in high school, I saw Sliver with my two best friends, who are highly intelligent. They loved it for the erotica. I hated it because there was no substance. I need substance to enjoy a movie, TV show or book.

Thank you. This was what I was trying to get at.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I care nothing about the plot...I simply want to see Channing Tatum, Matthew McConaughey & Joe Manganiello (a.k.a. Alcide from True Blood) take it off.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Can't wait till it opens in the UK. I'm planning a girly night out with friends to see it. And who cares about the plot. Mathew Mc with his shirt off. Yes please!:love:
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Half naked men... for 2 hours...for 10$... and it's socially acceptable...and won't be frowned upon by a significant other...

where else will you ever find a deal like that? never. I'm just saying....
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to see it for the acting.

That's like buying Playboy for the articles.

This! hehe

I can't wait to see it. Yes, there is SO much more to a guy (or woman for that matter) than what they look like, but I'm ok with ogling a few fine specimens once in awhile. I mean come on...Matthew Mcconaughey.. shirtless?? I'll watch that any day (and maybe twice on Sunday!)

agreed!
  • rml_16
    Options

Thank you. This was what I was trying to get at.

I knew exactly what you were saying. :-)

My cousin graduated second in her class as a physical therapist from a VERY competitive school and is now a pharmacist. Very, very intelligent and successful woman. But she doesn't understand Shakespeare. We all have our quirks. Ours is not being able to enjoy looking at half-naked, toned men unless there's a good story to go along with it. lol
  • childofares
    childofares Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel so alone in that I do not find any of the actors in this movie attractive. Maybe I'm still on my Avengers rush where after that...every movie will suck for awhile. And I have a huge crush on RDJ.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I want to see it so bad!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    From what I am understanding is the story line is one of the stripers teaching a guy "the business" and ends up falling in love with his sister.. At least that is what it shows..

still going
  • rml_16
    Options
    From what I am understanding is the story line is one of the stripers teaching a guy "the business" and ends up falling in love with his sister.. At least that is what it shows..

still going

Yeah, the synopses aren't very informative. I decided to go, just to get out of the house, really. Having a rough week.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Got a text from a friend this morning who wants me to see Magic Mike with her this weekend! Woohooooo!! Channing Tatum, here I come! :heart:
  • Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    I'm going to see this. :love: :love:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Saw it last night... Not nearly enough stripping and too much plot!! LOL
  • rml_16
    Options

I just read the review in the local paper and it was a pretty good one. It sounds like I might actually enjoy the movie. :-) Going at 7:30 tonight.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    yummm, channing tatum.... now if i could only convince my husband to join me :noway:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I just read the review in the local paper and it was a pretty good one. It sounds like I might actually enjoy the movie. :-) Going at 7:30 tonight.

Well it was good, just not what I was hoping for. I was hoping for a light hearted love story with lots of eye candy (ladies version of Coyote Ugly) but in truth there were some dark spots that didn't get enough focus with an abrupt ending that left a lot of loose ends. But the strip sequences made it well worth the price of the ticket and parts were pretty funny.
  • jnagy9886
    jnagy9886 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    magic-mike_0-1-1.jpg

I'm not getting any action at home, so I must see this movie.....

agreed!
  • abbysmom814
    abbysmom814 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Half naked men... for 2 hours...for 10$... and it's socially acceptable...and won't be frowned upon by a significant other...

where else will you ever find a deal like that? never. I'm just saying....

AMEN!!!
  • NotAlone82
    NotAlone82 Posts: 32
    Options
    I wouldn't watch it.