Thoughts on Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Drink water, Green Tea or natural juice. Stay away from all that fake stuff. That includes the splenda and all of that.

Splenda is NOT fake! Its natural sugar
    If it were natural sugar, it would have the same caloric value.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I use diet coke to strip the finish off of my golf clubs (wedges). The stuff literally eats off the finish......it's better than CLR.

In terms of drinking it, see what I just said.

Lol, I love this! One of the reasons I avoid Coke and Diet Coke is because I used to use it to clean the terminals on my car battery years ago! I had a little Beetle and whenever the battery gave me a hard time I would just pour the stuff on the terminals and watch it eat away at the battery acid - figured if it would do that to battery acid, what on earth could it do to my insides!!? :laugh:
    Hydrochloric acid is in your stomach. Way stronger than the acid in diet soda. So why you still living?:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Tinnesand3
    Tinnesand3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The less you drink or eat sugary/fake sugary foods the less you will crave them. While many people dispute how bad or not so bad the fake sugar products are for you, no one is saying they are good for you! If you need that fizzy drink throughout the day try switching to flavored sparkling waters and work your way to just drinking water and teas through the day. Even sugary fruit juices are like empty calories. If you need juice try making your own and including carrot and other veggies into the fruit juice and leave the extra sugar out. Or even better... just eat an apple!

I am a former diet coke addict and I have to say that I have more energy and am less moody without all of the processed and fake sugars in my diet. I know drink mostly skim milk (with coffee), tea, and water and the best part is that I don't even crave the sugar drinks anymore!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I still have one Diet Coke a day - it's my treat. I used to drink several, but have replaced them with water and Mio. I have one Diet Coke at 2 every day - it's my mid-afternoon pick-me-up, and I enjoy every sip!
  • omearaee
    omearaee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think anything in moderation is okay. That being said I am one of those people who can't drink a lot of diet coke or pepsi. It leaves a really sweet funny taste in my mouth so for me it just doesn't work.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    LOL thanks for the laugh
    I know there is a lot of research into aspartame and the effects on weight loss and metabolism. I do drink one can a day. I had a break for 5 years from all caffeine related products because I thought they were exasperating another condition and previous to that I did drink a lot and lost a lot of weight.

What are your thoughts on it. I drink mainly sugar free squash the rest of the time and the odd hot drink.

A. To me, Diet Coke tastes like liquified buttholes.
    B. In 20 years, aspartame will be the Agent Orange and asbestos of our generation.
    C. Cute baby.
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use diet coke to strip the finish off of my golf clubs (wedges). The stuff literally eats off the finish......it's better than CLR.

In terms of drinking it, see what I just said.

Lol, I love this! One of the reasons I avoid Coke and Diet Coke is because I used to use it to clean the terminals on my car battery years ago! I had a little Beetle and whenever the battery gave me a hard time I would just pour the stuff on the terminals and watch it eat away at the battery acid - figured if it would do that to battery acid, what on earth could it do to my insides!!? :laugh:
    Hydrochloric acid is in your stomach. Way stronger than the acid in diet soda. So why you still living?:wink:

ROFL - I get that, but I am no scientist, all the 'scientific' stuff boggles my brain - all I know is that I feel way way better when I don't drink the stuff, I have learnt to listen to my body - it's taken me 48 years mind you - but I am much healthier and happier when my diet is 'clean' But, that is me - everyone is different and needs to do what suits them :smile:
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I *love* my DC, but I have cut back in the past few years. I try and have only 1 can per day. Otherwise, I drink water with Mio or Crystal Light.

Now, I look at it as if this is the one thing that will help me get through the day, then so be it. If I'm out or at a party and have had my beer or drink limit for the day, I also drink DC instead.
  • littlecove
    Options
    Hello. aspartame is really bad for your body. I was a "diet" drink junky for 20 years. About 3 years ago I started having stomach issues (cramping, pain, ect) Doctors found nothing. Test showed nothing. My mother found some information on the effects of aspartame and how it can bring out abnormal problems for your body. I was not a big believer on this until I finally dropped the drinks. After 3 months, I no longer had stomach cramping and after a year, no pain at all. I have since tried to just drink one but after a couple of sips, my stomach started cramping again. I will never drink or pick up anything that has aspartame in it again! I am a firm believer, regular sugar is better!
  • Marcum21
    Marcum21 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love Diet Coke!!! As a mother of 2, I need my caffiene to see me through the day. Plus, I get migraines and my Dr prescribed me meds for them. But he also said that I could just drink something caffienated (sp?) to help. I hate taking meds, so thats what I went with. I just try to make sure no more than 2 a day. And I usually don't finish a can anyhow. Just make sure that you are drinking enough water too!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hello. aspartame is really bad for your body. I was a "diet" drink junky for 20 years. About 3 years ago I started having stomach issues (cramping, pain, ect) Doctors found nothing. Test showed nothing. My mother found some information on the effects of aspartame and how it can bring out abnormal problems for your body. I was not a big believer on this until I finally dropped the drinks. After 3 months, I no longer had stomach cramping and after a year, no pain at all. I have since tried to just drink one but after a couple of sips, my stomach started cramping again. I will never drink or pick up anything that has aspartame in it again! I am a firm believer, regular sugar is better!
    Probably bad for "your" body. General population should have all the symptoms you have if it were that bad.

IDEA Fitness member
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    id rather drink water.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I don't like it... but that's more my personal preference than anything... I actually prefer soda made with real sugar... it tastes better to me and I don't crave another one later on.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I love it.....but I pass on it!
  • soon2bhotn40
    Options
    I have been an addict for a while!! So I try to tame it by only having 1 or 2 a week. I don't have any in the house so I buy one when I am grocery shopping or doing errands. I do notice that when I drink it, I have a bigger appetite...so that isn't good for weight loss!!!!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    As long as you aren't going through a 12-pack a day I bet you'll be fine. I hate diet Coke and diet Pepsi and only drink them when I have no other option....but i LUUUUV my Diet Dew of the Mountains. Mmmmmmmmmmm.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Coke, diet coke, dew, slice...they all equal garbage. Aspartame, high fructose corn syrup, food coloring...all sounds quite yummy. Have an unsweet tea. Or better yet Drink a beer instead!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Oh, I almost forgot: the ultimate diet soda is Diet A & W Cream Soda. It's delicious AND has caffeine. Hell yeah.
  • catherine_88
    Options
    I saw this headline and immediately clicked on it. I've been dieting since October 16, 2010 and diet coke has been my best friend throughout the weightloss. It keeps me full and it's delicious and of course, the best part, being 0 cals! I hear all bad things about it but keep it in moderation. I usually have a can for lunch and another can at dinner. I wouldn't drink a 12 pack in a day but it's nice to have to sip on.
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bottom line I decided years ago that if I was going to drink soda to save calories I would drink diet. When all the information started coming out that drinking diet soda might actually cause you to crave sugar and in fact cause weight gain I thought about it and decided in spite of all the years I had been drinking diet drinks I weighed more than ever.

I stopped drinking any diet soda and switched to unsweetened ice tea or seltzer water (if I wanted the bubbles), and I have no desire to drink diet soda any longer. I don't crave sugary junk with the intensity that I used too, and natural clean foods do taste so much sweeter now. It is just like anything, see what works best for you and keep an open mind.