How do I ask my Uncle if he will borrow me money?

Options
123457»

Replies

• LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    How do I ask my Uncle if he will *loan* me money?
    As the aunt who has GIVEN money to my niece and LENT money to my
    Look, y'all! We have so many smart people here! Dead. Horse.

Look! Another person who thinks proper grammar is "being a snob"!

Education is a good thing. Get some before it is too late.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Uncle, "Can you loan me $$$$, for _______________."

But really, ask the bank for a loan, or see a financial counselor to straighten out your expenses.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    How do I ask my Uncle if he will *loan* me money?
    Thank you so much. I think this has been missed too often in K-12 school systems.

As the aunt who has GIVEN money to my niece and LENT money to my sister, brother in-law, and friends, I've vowed to never lend again. It only ends badly because
    (1) borrowers rarely pay back as promised,
    (2) they resent the fact that you know about their financial problems,
    (3) you have the money to lend them so you don't have financial problems, AND
    (3) they always come back for more

I agree with the recommendations to NOT ask a relative or friend for money. If you have any type of problem, you should be able to go to your uncle for ADVICE and counsel. If you can't go to him for advice, you should never go to him for money! He may help you in money management and after hearing your situation, may offer to GIVE (or lend) you some money. You can then plan to REPAY him and it will be a pleasant surprise if you do.

I've never borrowed money from anyone. ** My parents did pay off all of my bills after I got a doctoral scholarship and couldn't take the scholarship with my financial obligations. Years later, I GAVE both of my parents double what they GAVE me.

**(This doesn't include the $5 here and there when I didn't have enough cash for tips or whatever.)
    Good advice here
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How many hours a week do you work? If it's less than 80, get a part time job.

^^^^This^^^^ And please don't use the 'I can't find a job' line. You could babysit if nothing else, assuming you are honest, reliable and dependable. If you have those qualities and have any gumption whatsoever, you'll have a clientele built up in no time and be able to make quite a killing. If you don't have those qualities, or you're waiting for the perfect job that pays great but doesn't interfere with your life or require much effort, well good luck to ya...

OP already said she's looking. In some areas it really does take a while. My young cousin has the situation where she lives in a small semi-rural town where there just aren't many jobs, and her and her family are sharing cars. Her dad was driving 2 hours each way to work for a while just to work (construction I think). If she buys a car, she could drive further for a job and have more flexibility, but to buy a car she needs money, for that she needs a job, etc. Some relative or another gave her an old clunker at one point, then something expensive broke on it, etc. I've known plenty of people looking for the lower paying/ low skill-needing jobs who have trouble getting them and getting to them and making ends meet while they do. Every time I hear it makes me very glad I'm not in that situation.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just got the second job at the grocery store.

Woohoo, congrats on the job! I'm glad you got some good news.

I don't see any harm in asking a relative to borrow money in this situation. You are obviously doing the best you can with what you have, and trying to find more work which you now did. If anything now having that second job should put you in a better position for asking him, because now you will be more secure in your ability to pay him back.

I obviously don't know you, or your Uncle, but it sounds like you are pretty young and maybe this is an older uncle? I wonder if maybe your uncle went through something like this himself at some point, and remembers what it was like to struggle and just wants to help. I can see myself doing something like that for my niece or nephews when they get older, especially if they are doing their best to be self-supporting like it sounds like you are. I don't loan people money often, but generally I figure, I should only loan what I can live with out if I don't get back, or if it's not a lot, just give it. But I don't get asked often.

As to actual advice,...figure out just what you might need, figure on a mid-case scenario (not worst case, not idea everything goes perfectly) and try to add up everything coming in and everything going out and make a realistic payment plan to present to him.That alone will likely convince him if he isn't already, I know I'd be impressed someone took the effort to think it through.

Also In my opinion it would be better to make a fairly conservative payment plan for paying him back, rather than say, tell him you will pay it all back in a check or two and end up in a worse situation...figure out what you really can afford to part with and still have the basic necessities. Obviously while paying him back you don't want to go buying a lot of extras, but I think it would be okay to set aside (if you can) a small emergency fund after the money from this job starts coming in, even if its only $50 stuffed in coffee can from $10 a check at a time, rather than giving him every spare cent and getting stuck again later. Things come up even with the thriftiest living and best plan. If he's offering he can probably spare it for a few months I'd think, just make sure you DO pay him back as promised, in whatever terms you agree on, ..otherwise yeah that's when it gets icky.

I don't get all the meanness on this thread. Crazy. You'd think people had never ever had trouble making ends meet or finding a job or knowing/remembering what it was like to be just starting out. I think some people just assumed things without knowing the whole situation. I mean, if you were making....what was it $135 in a week? And 480 or something for total rent. There is just NOT a lot of slack left there even with two people. And at that kind of rent I doubt you are living it up, that's pretty cheap at least around here. Sometimes you've already cut all the corners you can and there still isn't just isn't enough to eat, drive, and buy toothpaste with. Though the babysitting etc is a good idea and the cans.

Good luck!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Just got the second job at the grocery store.

Congratulations! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Nice to hear that things are looking up for you!

Karen
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!