How long were you with your SO before you got engaged?

Options

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Six years. Then it was another few years until we got married.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    6 months
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    two years
  • Wouga
    Wouga Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We got engaged 6 days after our first date, married exactly one year after that, and this October we'll celebrate 11 happily married years together. Our friends and family thought we were crazy, but we knew.

Oh, and I should probably also tell ya, we had been friends for about a year and a half before that first date happened...so it wasn't like we were perfect strangers. ;)
  • egarcia83
    egarcia83 Posts: 11
    Options
    We were together for 7 years before we got engaged. We already had a 5 year old and had bought a house together. We were 25 and 26 when we finally got married and now have 3 children. We waited so long because we were so young when we met and were not ready to get married. I know that in a sense we were married since we were living together and had a child together, but taking that next step was a big step for us. Every situation is different and you will know when you are ready. I finally told my husband one day that I deserved the happily ever after and wanted to get married and he proposed to me that night, we got married a year later.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend 6 1/2 years now, even though we are younger (about to be 22 and 23) I really feel like it's time to take next steps in our relationship. We're planning to buy a house within the next year and I'd really like to either be engaged or married by then. I find that everyday more of my friends are engaged or moving in with their boyfriend/girlfriends I just hate that we aren't at the next step yet.

Welcome to my life, you sound JUST LIKE ME!

My bf and I are 23 years old, we've also been together for 6 1/2 years. We bought our first house when we were 20. Still no engagement ring on my finger, and it looks like everyone else I know is tying the knot... :grumble:
    Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!
  • brewface811
    brewface811 Posts: 106
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend 6 1/2 years now, even though we are younger (about to be 22 and 23) I really feel like it's time to take next steps in our relationship. We're planning to buy a house within the next year and I'd really like to either be engaged or married by then. I find that everyday more of my friends are engaged or moving in with their boyfriend/girlfriends I just hate that we aren't at the next step yet.

My bf and I are 23 years old, we've also been together for 6 1/2 years. We bought our first house when we were 20. Still no engagement ring on my finger, and it looks like everyone else I know is tying the knot... :grumble:

Thank god I'm not alone! Good luck on tying the knot! Hopefully it will happen for you soon :)
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Thank god I'm not alone! Good luck on tying the knot! Hopefully it will happen for you soon :)

Thanks, and best of luck to you as well! :)
    The time will come when you're both ready. I also have a very unique relationship with my bf, we're not traditional in any sense!

And ETA: We've been living together for the past 5 1/2 years. Aside from the fact that I don't legally have his last name, we pretty much have been acting like a married couple since we were 17, and my family seems to think we got hitched years ago LOL
  • AngieWood611
    AngieWood611 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    5 years, then 2 years engaged (in that time we bought a house). I thought he would never ask, i even complained to him the week before he proposed saying "Where is the relationship going?"
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Almost 9 years! Our 9 year "anniversary" is coming up on Friday and we got engaged in OCtober! I never once questioned where the relationship was going. I knew and know he is crazy about me!
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I knew my husband 5 weeks when we got engaged and about 6 weeks when we got married. We remarried in the church later that year. We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary (the 1st one) in May.
  • Beccatink
    Beccatink Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We got engaged after 4 years and already had 2 kids together. It's been a long engagement and we are finally getting married on our 10th anniversary of being together next year.
  • Tranquil_Miche
    Options
    7 years and we married a year later. We lived together the entire time, so we acted as though we were married prior to the paper. We waited so long because we started dating at ages 18 & 19, and just weren't ready. We finally married at 26 & 27 After the wedding for some reason times became A LOT tougher. Many times I didn't think our relationship would survive, but now I think we have even more of an appreciation for one another. We've been married almost three years now.
  • mrsknash
    mrsknash Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    We were engaged within 3 weeks of meeting, we'd bought our first home within 3 weeks of the engagement and married 8 months after that. We'll have been married for 8 years next month, and we now have 3 beautiful children aged 4 years, 2 years and 3 months.
    When the time is right, you'll know it!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    We'd been together 4 years and I was 28, got married last August and have now been together 6 years and are heading towards our first anniversary. :)
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    we knew each other in high school but never dated (graduated 20 yrs ago). we reconnected in July 2008 and had our first date Sept 2008. We moved in together in Feb 2009 and got engaged Nov 2009. Married Nov 2010. He had always said he was never going to get married, and people still tease him about this. But he says he just hadn't gotten together with me yet :love:
  • disneydreamer61605
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend 6 1/2 years now, even though we are younger (about to be 22 and 23) I really feel like it's time to take next steps in our relationship. We're planning to buy a house within the next year and I'd really like to either be engaged or married by then. I find that everyday more of my friends are engaged or moving in with their boyfriend/girlfriends I just hate that we aren't at the next step yet. **Edited to include that this is merely an observation, not that I think we should be at the same point or compare our relationships to other people. I know that ours is much different than others and I respect that I just feel like it is time for us to be taking next steps.

So, how long were you with your SO before getting engaged?

I am 23 my Husband 24 We got engaged when I was 21 he was 22 engaged for a year got married we were together 5 yrs at engagement 6 at our wedding I felt like you did Even though your young thats a long time and age doesnt matter!
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    7 years. I was 16 and he was 17 when we started dating, we got married when I was 23. That was 12 years ago :-)
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I was browsing profiles one night in july 2006 and wrote to him. He wrote me back the next day. We added eachother on our instant messengers so it would be easier to talk. We eventually started talking on the phone when he asked me to marry him in April 2007. We met first met eachother in person in July 2007 (a year after we met online) and before I had to go back home he gave me a copy of his dog tags and gas money (he lived in Indiana and I lived in Arkansas). We continued to talk on the phone when his sister-in-law was telling me lies so I broke up with him for a day til he called me and we talked things over. I went to Indiana in November 2007 and we got married in a court house. We barely knew eachother in person and didn't have much so we didn't give eachother rings. I almost ran out of the court house cause I was petrified being a wife to this man I hardly knew but he was holding really tightly to my hands so I went stayed and married him. Our 5 year wedding anniversary will be in November. We have been together for 6 years next month :heart:
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    6 months