Anyone here who lives their life free of alcohol?

Options

Replies

• Darcyclementine
    Darcyclementine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love wine, gin and cider - not all at once, and not all that often! I'm too old now to go out partying and drinking.. :sad:
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Haven't touched a drink in over 3 years and that last time was back in university days.

I did have a sip of a drink once last year on a night out, and I actually forgot I was suppose to drive everyone home...oops. However, a lot of my friends pressurise me into having a drink because they want to see me drunk; I don't why they're so fascinated about seeing me drunk! I go to the pub, but I always have J2O or fruit juice
  • surimurphy
    surimurphy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I drank on occasion when I was in my early 20s, but after my husband's alcohol addiction I had no need for it. For a long time I would actually get physically sick if I could smell alcohol on someone. Thank goodness my husband has been sober for almost 9 years.
  • mandi_2007_b
    Options
    I use to drink, age of 18 thru around 23yrs, I'm now 30yrs old and i haven't had any for 7yrs, giving my thanks to God for it too!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Hahahah, no. I cannot.
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have been sober since April 18, 1982 and I have not smoked since September 8, 2005. Life is good without both.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    While I most certianly could... I honestly don't want to... with that said, I go months (sometimes years) without having a drink... but there are sometimes where I want one to relax... whether I am with friends or family. So while I easily could, I just choose not to... and to each their own.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hell no! Can't wait to get home tonight and crack a cold one ;):drinker:
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to drink. It was more fun before I was legal age. However, about 5 years ago, something happened and now even 1 drink makes me vomit. I think I must have developed an allergy or something. I would LOVE to be able to drink a few drinks now and again, however, not for me anymore :(
  • ADM1979
    ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    No drinks for me for two reasons:

1. I am a diabetic and it throws my numbers all over the place.

2. Alcoholism runs in my family. I do not have a need or desire to touch it. I will cook with it but that is it.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    gave up drinking about two years ago. i was making very bad descisions.

only one beer in the last two years.
  • brendarios
    brendarios Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't drink and don't want to. I stay away from it too. I've seen to many people act foolish because of being impaired by alcohol. For example, kick in doors, start fights, some people drink and cheat on their significant other, some get depressed, others get locked up and don't even remember what they did to get there. There is nothing cool about any of those things. Every day is precious so I'd rather wake up every morning and remember what I did last night ;O)
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I did. I had to join AA at the age of 17, by force from the NYPD truincy force. Saved my life. Also, saves me a ton of cash when I got out to eat.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I don't partake in alcoholic beverages. The smell even bothers me. My hubby made his own Root Beer and even the like 1% or whatever alcohol in that turns my stomach (its like that yeasty smell).
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    rank alot as a teenager.. but since about 17.. I've probably drank like 5 times, and only one of those did I have more then one drink.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I fulfilled my lifetime quota by the time I hit 37. Other than the taste I don't really miss it, but it really does astound me that some folks just can't grasp the concept that life can be full of joy and fun without it.

While I appreciate where you're coming from with that, not everybody drinks just to get drunk. I LOVE beer. I work for a beer distributor. I enjoy tasting new and interesting beers, and I also enjoy the taste of various wines and champagnes. I have a glass of wine with dinner a few nights a week, and a few beers on the weekends with my friends. Good, quality beer. Some people prefer cheesecake. Or pizza. Or ice cream. My "diet cheat", if you will, is beer or wine.

If your favorite food was cheesecake, wouldn't you be really sad if you never ate cheesecake again? For me, I would be pretty sad without beer and/or wine because I genuinely enjoy the flavor. I make up for the calories via exercise and clean eating, just as one would with cheesecake or pizza. Enjoying alcoholic beverages doesn't automatically mean drinking to get drunk for everyone. When people say they don't see the point, well, what's the point of eating pizza? What's the point of eating french fries? Because you ENJOY them. Same with many people and alcoholic beverages.
  • xoxobollywood1991
    Options
    Yup, I've been non-alchoholic or alcohol free all my life. Because it's normal in my culture. And it's simply the best i've ever beeeen!!!
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nope, not a drinker. =^)
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i will have a few drinks on the weekends, and special occasions.
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Growing up with an alcholic step father kept me from ever getting into drinking!

When i was only thirteen i had to help my mom drag him up a flight of stairs and help clean him up because his friends thought it was a good idea and bring home and put him in his car instead of knocking on the door....he threw up all over himself...luckily he didnt choke on it and die!

Happy to say he has been alcohol free for about twenty years now!!!