Anyone here who lives their life free of alcohol?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I drank back in my younger days but after watching my dad die from cirrhosis of the liver I no longer had the desire to drink. I have health issues now that I can't drink with the meds I take but I don't miss drinking at all. I see people in bars plastered from drinking and acting so stupid and not remembering the next day what they've done. That lifestyle just isn't for me. :smile:

Drinking doesn't automatically equal being plastered, acting stupid, and not remembering anything the next day. Drinking in EXCESS does. Quite a difference in abusing alcohol and enjoying it responsibly.

No kidding! My parents let me taste alcohol probably for the first time around 3 or 4 and I was allowed to have a glass of wine or whatever every once in a while from then on, although I didn't like the taste of most alcohol, so I didn't do it much but it was kind of fun and cool when I did it at family gatherings.

As an adult, I rarely drink. I don't even have the desire, really, most of the time. I do like the taste of some alcoholic drinks and sometimes I just want something for the heck of it, or in a bar I'll have one or two at most and then I'm good. And the few times I've been drunk, I have NEVER blacked out or forgotten anything. I've had two hangovers -- first was simply a bad headache that went away. The second was pretty bad, including puking until 1 a.m. and having to go to work the next day. That was about 12 years ago and I haven't had a hangover since. One was enough.

As others have said, MOST people can and do drink responsibly and not to such excess. With alcohol as with chocolate, it's all about moderation.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I am a 27 yr. old Christian young lady and because of my faith, I have never had a drop of alcohol in my life and I strongly believe one should stay away from the stuff.

I'm trying to think here. What did Jesus turn water into? Dang it, it's on the tip of my tongue. . .

Oh right.

He turned water into WINE!

:drinker:
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Really! I thought I was the only one. Good to see that there are others who have no interest in alcohol. It makes you feel a bit weird going out with people who drink all the time. They seem to always like someone to drink with, so that's not me. My mom took me out to dinner for my 21st bd and I got really sick with just one sip. They say I have an allergy to alcohol. So I'm happy to be without it. Thank goodness, I don't drink. I would have to count a bunch of calories and it kills me enough the expense of actual good food. :noway:
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I love free alcohol. Does that count?

me to! lets be friends:heart::bigsmile:
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I hardly ever drink alcohol. On a rare occasion I will have a drink. I would assume I have the equivalent to 4 drinks a year.
    I find others that drink ... with a continuous alcohol flow... annoy the hell out of me.
    " the sound of a beer can opening is one of the most annoying sounds on the planet. "

MY HUSBAN OVERINDULGES ABOUT 3 TIMES A WEEK.

yeh i hate that sound.

Dont get me wrong..
    he's not mean or abusive in any way
    I just find drunk ppl annoying difficult and generally not nice to be around
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I am a 27 yr. old Christian young lady and because of my faith, I have never had a drop of alcohol in my life and I strongly believe one should stay away from the stuff.

Jesus didn't turn that water into grape juice, you know.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I usually don't drink. If I do, it probably amounts to a bottle of wine per year. I love wine, but I see no purpose in getting drunk or drinking it every day "just because." I think drunk people making a---s of themselves when I was in college was enough to make me sober for life.
  • fitplease
    Options
    Really! I thought I was the only one. Good to see that there are others who have no interest in alcohol. It makes you feel a bit weird going out with people who drink all the time.

Do like me and order a Shirley Temple! (It's grenadine (aka cherry-flavored sugar syrup) and soda.) The last bartender got a kick out of it. I remember getting it the first time as a kids' drink at Red Lobster.
  • fitplease
    Options

I drank some when I was a teenager but I don't anymore, we studied the chemical makeup of alcohol in chem in college and it set me off it for life, essentially alcohol is poison and being drunk is a symptom of being poisoned.

I knew a woman who was a recovering alcoholic. One day, she had aspirin poisoning, but her folks mistook it as her falling off the wagon and getting drunk again. They realized too late that she wasn't drunk after all. I believe she died in the ER.

I think she took the aspirin for some discomfort with flu, probably aches & pains or to lower fever. It's been so long I've forgotten.

Her parents were very distraught, as you can imagine.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I drank back in my younger days but after watching my dad die from cirrhosis of the liver I no longer had the desire to drink. I have health issues now that I can't drink with the meds I take but I don't miss drinking at all. I see people in bars plastered from drinking and acting so stupid and not remembering the next day what they've done. That lifestyle just isn't for me. :smile:

Drinking doesn't automatically equal being plastered, acting stupid, and not remembering anything the next day. Drinking in EXCESS does. Quite a difference in abusing alcohol and enjoying it responsibly.

No kidding! My parents let me taste alcohol probably for the first time around 3 or 4 and I was allowed to have a glass of wine or whatever every once in a while from then on, although I didn't like the taste of most alcohol, so I didn't do it much but it was kind of fun and cool when I did it at family gatherings.

As an adult, I rarely drink. I don't even have the desire, really, most of the time. I do like the taste of some alcoholic drinks and sometimes I just want something for the heck of it, or in a bar I'll have one or two at most and then I'm good. And the few times I've been drunk, I have NEVER blacked out or forgotten anything. I've had two hangovers -- first was simply a bad headache that went away. The second was pretty bad, including puking until 1 a.m. and having to go to work the next day. That was about 12 years ago and I haven't had a hangover since. One was enough.

As others have said, MOST people can and do drink responsibly and not to such excess. With alcohol as with chocolate, it's all about moderation.

First taste of beer for me was around the age of 4... I still hate the taste of beer... well most beers... and my family had a similar outlook on alcohol as yours did... I don't drink often either..... Only once have I ever been puking drunk and it's the only time I have ever had a hang over as well... both of which I will never repeat... My dad would half-jokingly say "I'm going to the liquor store, would ya like anything" of course I said no... Alcohol was anything but taboo in our house... hell, the hard stuff sat in our frig or on the kitchen counter all the time... I think I touched every once in a while to take a taste and that was it... I don't like straight rum either... blech...
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I do not drink, for religious & personal reasons.

Never wanted to drink either and am happy this way.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    No, I do not drink alcohol beverages of any kind. Coffee and Brita water are fine by me. :) I should say for religious and personal preferences too. However, I do love chocolate...just not so much anymore.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and I don't drink alcohol for any other reason except...I just never liked the taste of it. I don't mind others who drink responsibly and don't drive. I have always been the Designated Driver and that's fine. If I felt like drinking and it tasted good, I would.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I loved alcohol (and drugs) far too much. I've been clean and sober 23 months, so no... I don't drink. I work in a bar and my husband drinks fairly often. As long as people aren't driving drunk, I dont care how much they drink. In fact, I make more money when people drink ;-)
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I stayed drunk for about 3 years starting at the age of 19. Now, I drink MAYBE 2 times a year, I don't crave it or miss it.
  • SSSLLLX3
    SSSLLLX3 Posts: 22
    Options
    I don't drink and have no interest in drinking. It does not taste good.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I do not drink at all. I am a recovering heroin addict, but alcohol was never a problem for me. The main reason I do not drink is that I do not like it. Also, I do have a very addictive personality and would not want to take the chance of becoming an alcoholic. It helps that my husband never drinks as well. I find it very sexy that he doesn't.
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I both drink maybe once a year a few years ago I had went about 4 years without a drink, not that I missed it. I used to drink a lot when I was in my twenties, I grew up and grew out of wanting to drink, I also do not want to set a bad example for my children.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I drink one beer a night. Then get bored and not buy it for months, lol. I love alcohol! I have room for it in my calories and do not get drunk. I have before but it scares me so I don't anymore haha. Life's too short for me so I drink it. I don't eat meat or dairy usually though. So I guess it's a fair trade!

My husband RARELY EVER drinks. In fact he said he's going to have one of my beers and he keeps forgetting to grab one and drink it LOL! Makes me laugh. I use it to unwind from work. A 6-pack around here lasts 5-6 days :)
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't drink... thought I'm considering starting.