Anyone here who lives their life free of alcohol?

Options

Replies

• brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do not drink :)
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't drink or anything. I've never had an interest in it.

^^....ditto
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I love free alcohol. Does that count?
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I partied for the first 20 years of my adult life. I lived in Alaska where EVERYONE parties.. a lot. After I moved back to WA, I just couldn't stand the hangovers any longer and quit. For a while, I was sorta at a loss come the week-end. After I got over that (in about 2 months), I was SO SO glad I quit drinking. And me too; I can't stand being around people who have had too much to drink. I tried going to the bar and having "virgin" drinks, but it's just not the same. It's been about 25 years and am not sorry one bit. I NEVER miss it. Whenever I think of it, my thought is "God, I'm so glad I don't drink any more." Don't let anyone pressure you; stick to your guns!
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    NOT......at..........all....I ToTALLY agree with you:flowerforyou:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I drank back in my younger days but after watching my dad die from cirrhosis of the liver I no longer had the desire to drink. I have health issues now that I can't drink with the meds I take but I don't miss drinking at all. I see people in bars plastered from drinking and acting so stupid and not remembering the next day what they've done. That lifestyle just isn't for me. :smile:

Drinking doesn't automatically equal being plastered, acting stupid, and not remembering anything the next day. Drinking in EXCESS does. Quite a difference in abusing alcohol and enjoying it responsibly.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I love free alcohol. Does that count?

It's the best kind!!
  • chaosadnd
    chaosadnd Posts: 7
    Options
    I personally don't mind people drinking. I just don't do it. I have nothing against it, I just have too much responsibility andn ever get a "night to go out". I'm a single parent, and a responsible person who won't drink and drive so I just tend to stay away from it.
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    Truly surprised to see this, we also don't drink, well maybe once or twice a year my hubby will have a margarita and I occasionly have a glass of wine, but that;s it......can't stand being around drunks and most people drink till they are, we stay to ourselves because we can find no people in this area to be friends with at our age that don't drink, all the activies include booze, just wish there was a place to go that is alcohol free to meet other couples are age, would love to have a friend to go shopping with etc. but everyone drinks and parties with booze so we just enjoy each other.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I fulfilled my lifetime quota by the time I hit 37. Other than the taste I don't really miss it, but it really does astound me that some folks just can't grasp the concept that life can be full of joy and fun without it.

While I appreciate where you're coming from with that, not everybody drinks just to get drunk. I LOVE beer. I work for a beer distributor. I enjoy tasting new and interesting beers, and I also enjoy the taste of various wines and champagnes. I have a glass of wine with dinner a few nights a week, and a few beers on the weekends with my friends. Good, quality beer. Some people prefer cheesecake. Or pizza. Or ice cream. My "diet cheat", if you will, is beer or wine.

If your favorite food was cheesecake, wouldn't you be really sad if you never ate cheesecake again? For me, I would be pretty sad without beer and/or wine because I genuinely enjoy the flavor. I make up for the calories via exercise and clean eating, just as one would with cheesecake or pizza. Enjoying alcoholic beverages doesn't automatically mean drinking to get drunk for everyone. When people say they don't see the point, well, what's the point of eating pizza? What's the point of eating french fries? Because you ENJOY them. Same with many people and alcoholic beverages.

Indeed.

I love wine and I enjoy a glass or two on the weekends. I like to have a nice dinner with a bottle with my husband. In the summer time I like to relax out on the patio at night with a cold bottle of white wine. I like martini's and mixed drinks as well. I don't drink to get drunk I drink because I like the way it tastes.

I am not going out and getting tanked every night and I don't "need" alcohol to have fun. It's just a nice way to relax and unwind.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I do drink but only a couple times a year. I don't for many reasons the biggest 2 being the # of calories in any given drink and the cost. A daiquiri is like $8 I can eat for that !

Agreed~!
  • SCVSarah
    SCVSarah Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I don't drink at all. The last time I drank was probably 3 years ago. I've never been a big drinker and really just don't like it. I don't mind when other people drink around me though. Anyway, thanks for the post. It's nice to know there are others like me out there. I'm used to getting the 3rd degree every time I turn down a drink....
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I drank some when I was a teenager but I don't anymore, we studied the chemical makeup of alcohol in chem in college and it set me off it for life, essentially alcohol is poison and being drunk is a symptom of being poisoned, don't get me wrong if you want to drink that's up to you but that's part of my reasoning for not drinking. There are more reasons but it seems to me that if I want to be healthy and I'm going to work hard to be that way I don't want to intentionally poison myself.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I fulfilled my lifetime quota by the time I hit 37. Other than the taste I don't really miss it, but it really does astound me that some folks just can't grasp the concept that life can be full of joy and fun without it.

While I appreciate where you're coming from with that, not everybody drinks just to get drunk. I LOVE beer. I work for a beer distributor. I enjoy tasting new and interesting beers, and I also enjoy the taste of various wines and champagnes. I have a glass of wine with dinner a few nights a week, and a few beers on the weekends with my friends. Good, quality beer. Some people prefer cheesecake. Or pizza. Or ice cream. My "diet cheat", if you will, is beer or wine.

If your favorite food was cheesecake, wouldn't you be really sad if you never ate cheesecake again? For me, I would be pretty sad without beer and/or wine because I genuinely enjoy the flavor. I make up for the calories via exercise and clean eating, just as one would with cheesecake or pizza. Enjoying alcoholic beverages doesn't automatically mean drinking to get drunk for everyone. When people say they don't see the point, well, what's the point of eating pizza? What's the point of eating french fries? Because you ENJOY them. Same with many people and alcoholic beverages.

While reading most replies, this is what I would want to say.

In college, I would drink to get drunk.

Now, I love trying local brews or enjoying a beer while floating the river or sitting beside the lake. Or having a glass or wine for my dessert after dinner.

Since college, I've been buzzed a couple of time if that.
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Cheers to you!!!!! :drinker:
  • 12by311
    Options
    I drank some when I was a teenager but I don't anymore, we studied the chemical makeup of alcohol in chem in college and it set me off it for life, essentially alcohol is poison and being drunk is a symptom of being poisoned, don't get me wrong if you want to drink that's up to you but that's part of my reasoning for not drinking. There are more reasons but it seems to me that if I want to be healthy and I'm going to work hard to be that way I don't want to intentionally poison myself.

Red wine is my heart medicine :wink:
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I personally don't mind people drinking. I just don't do it. I have nothing against it, I just have too much responsibility andn ever get a "night to go out". I'm a single parent, and a responsible person who won't drink and drive so I just tend to stay away from it.

I am a single mother with a full time job, full course load at school, gym time and don't drink and drive either....... I still manage to be able to have a drink or two here and there. Responsibility does not deminish because one occassionally imbibes.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    Truly surprised to see this, we also don't drink, well maybe once or twice a year my hubby will have a margarita and I occasionly have a glass of wine, but that;s it......can't stand being around drunks and most people drink till they are, we stay to ourselves because we can find no people in this area to be friends with at our age that don't drink, all the activies include booze, just wish there was a place to go that is alcohol free to meet other couples are age, would love to have a friend to go shopping with etc. but everyone drinks and parties with booze so we just enjoy each other.

Most people drink til they're drunk? Really? The majority of my friends (along with my bf and I) drink, and rarely is it ever to the point of drunkenness. I mean honestly, I can count on one hand the # of times in recent memory we've been in a "drink to the point of being intoxicated" situation.
  • 12by311
    Options
    In the summer time I like to relax out on the patio at night with a cold bottle of white wine.

ahhhh, I'm relaxed just thinking about that!
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Something to consider.

Alcohol. If it were to be erased from time, I'm guessing 98% of us would cease to exist on the spot. Why you ask? Only because at some point, in the long lineage we all have, we had a relative that drank copious amounts of booze to procreate.

Whether it be the courage to ask the lass/lad to dance? To muster up the courage to fight for the hand another... or were so desperate to get some drank booze and set sail the morals of the time period. Why do you think it is called Liquid Courage?

*snickers*

Booze = Life.