Now I've Seen Everything

Options
FOSTER CITY, Calif. (CBS Sacramento) – A new fitness trend appears to be sweeping the nation – one that expressly excludes those on the more slender side of the scale.

Multiple reports have surfaced recently about gyms that cater exclusively to zaftig clients looking to lose weight in a place free of potential judgment from other, smaller patrons.

Though some all-inclusive gyms have attempted in the past to create a safe haven for anyone interested in exercising – for example, Planet Fitness, a national chain of gyms with a “judgment-free” motto and mentality – some creators of obese-only gyms feel it’s not enough.

Fitness facilities throughout the United States and Canada are adopting the obese-only idea in the hopes of removing intimidation from the exercise equation.

One such business is Downsize Fitness, with locations in Las Vegas, Chicago and Dallas. They are self-described as a gym “developed specifically with chronically overweight and obese individuals in mind.”

Chris Gowens, co-founder of Downsize Fitness, told CBS Sacramento that he formerly served as the personal trainer of the gym’s other founder, and the two talked extensively about his former client’s apprehension to go to a public gym.

“Most people can’t afford a personal trainer … and never feel comfortable going to the gym,” he said. “The idea [for Downsize Fitness] was borne out of that. We thought it would be a good idea to open a gym tailored to overweight people, to create an environment that’s more welcoming and less intimidating.”

Other gyms with the same idea include Body Exchange in Vancouver, Square One in Omaha, Neb., and Buddha Body Yoga in New York City.

Shawn Arent, an associate professor for the Department of Exercise Science and Sport Studies at Rutgers University, told CBS Sacramento that any program with the potential to motivate obese people to pursue a healthier lifestyle is a program worthy of a chance.

“Anything that gets people moving is a good idea at this point, considering what we’re dealing with in terms of an obesity epidemic,” he said, adding that those put off by the notion of judgmental work-out companions are not alone. “The barrier people are talking about here is social physique anxiety, or nervousness about what others observe and perceive about a person in a certain environment.”

He additionally noted that the business model of an obese-specific gym evokes thoughts of the women-only model employed by the Curves franchise.

Not everyone is on board, however.

Lisa Tealer, a board member for the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance in Foster City, Calif., said that she has “strong concerns” over a gym that separates overweight and obese people from people of average weights and statures.

“I [worry] about a gym that is basing its business model, services and membership on size discrimination, in this case to average size women,” Tealer, a former health club owner herself, told CBS Sacramento. “The health cub I owned was a weight neutral, body positive, health club, where women were not judged based on shape or size of their bodies. We had staff that reflected size diversity and equipment that could be adjusted to accommodate a variety of body sizes.”

In regards to other options, Gowens noted that patrons who tried to work out at home said they often found themselves in close proximity with family, friends, significant others or roommates who were sympathetic to their health goals, but ultimately not supportive due to their reluctance to alter their own habits.

And when those clients tried to go to conventional gyms, they did not fare much better.

“Some [of our clients] said that when they went to the gym, they would get to the parking lot and sit there. It was as close as they could go,” Gowens recalled. “They felt out-of-place.”

He added, “It really motivates everyone [at our gym] to see … someone else having the same experience.”

Tealer agreed that there are potential merits to such a business model, but ultimately feels that it creates a discriminatory environment aimed in the other direction.

“While I commend the attempt to create a judgment-free environment, where fat women feel comfortable, it should not be at the expense of average size women,” she said.

Arent additionally pointed out the “reverse discrimination” element of obese-only gyms.

“There’s a different societal issue there,” he said. “But if it gives [obese people] an exercise program that works for them, I see nothing wrong with that part.”

Arent also noted that the quality of the program is just as important as the environment, if not more so.

“It’ll be interesting to see where it goes. If someone is that overweight, are they people that enjoy working out in the first place?” he said. “It depends on the qualifications of the staff. It’s not just the environment, but also the quality of the programs offered

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous that they're worried about "potential judgment" from "smaller patrons." Isn't that a form of judgment itself? You assume because someone is lean and fit that they're judging you because you aren't?

What I honestly think they are doing is trying to capitalize on the fact that most "chronically overweight and obese" people are going to pay their membership fees and then stop showing up after a couple of weeks. The fewer paying members who bother to show up and use the gym, the less frequently that equipment has to be replaced, the fewer staff members they need to hire, the more new memberships that can be issued, etc.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So what happens if you are obese and then get into shape? Do you have to go to a new gym?
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous that they're worried about "potential judgment" from "smaller patrons." Isn't that a form of judgment itself? You assume because someone is lean and fit that they're judging you because you aren't?
    You must have missed the "I can't help judging fat people thread"!
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I can understand how you would feel more a sense of comradery and feeling less self conscious. But what happens when the 'fat' person gets thinner? Do they get kicked out too? :S

I can't say I dont like the idea, there are alot of things in life that cater only to thin people so hey why not, seems like a generally good idea.

*** oops didnt realize my question had already been asked! Yeah I'm really curious about that... lol :S
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Strictly from a marketing perspective this is pure genius. Overweight people don't usually go to regular gyms because of the humiliation of being around fit people who they feel will judge them. By catering to this group only they can target market these folks by offering them a "safe" environment to work out in.

I would not be surprised if this is highly successful...
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    So what happens if you are obese and then get into shape? Do you have to go to a new gym?

My thoughts exactly! They're gonna stop taking your money when you get to goal!?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Somebody starts a business you don't approve of? Great, don't go. Take your money elsewhere. End of.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I will re-iterate the OP's title.....Now I've seen everything!

What is the world coming to...
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    So because one person posts a thread on one website about judging fat people, that means everyone does?

I used to be fat. I worked my *kitten* off not to be. I don't judge anyone for going to the gym and working hard. I don't care if that person is trying to lose 10 lbs or 100+. Why should I be barred from attending a certain gym just because I was actually successful at losing weight? Sounds about like the forums here lately ... only overweight and uninformed people allowed, because if you're in shape and actually know what you're talking about, no one wants to hear what you think.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    So because one person posts a thread on one website about judging fat people, that means everyone does?

I used to be fat. I worked my *kitten* off not to be. I don't judge anyone for going to the gym and working hard. I don't care if that person is trying to lose 10 lbs or 100+. Why should I be barred from attending a certain gym just because I was actually successful at losing weight? Sounds about like the forums here lately ... only overweight and uninformed people allowed, because if you're in shape and actually know what you're talking about, no one wants to hear what you think.

Hmmm - I am not reading that though - I am reading that these gyms are starting strictly to cater to this market - not existing gyms banning fit people (which would be stupid business-wise). I see this no differently than "Curves" who caters to women who do not wish to be ogled by gym-rats and meat-heads at regular co-ed gyms...
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    That's what the article said though. They are catering to people who are uncomfortable working out with "smaller patrons" because of the "potential judgment."

Besides, as I said before, catering to "chronically overweight and obese" people is not about trying to provide a judgment-free environment. Planet Fitness is full of crap on that, as well. They're targeting people who will be excited about working out for a few weeks until they realize how much of a commitment it requires, and then they'll quit. That's why these places either charge a ridiculous initiation fee or make you agree to a minimum 1-year membership. So if you decide to stop going, they're still going to get their money.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance? wtfbbq...
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for the medium sized people to start judging the heavy ones.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Meh, there's an *kitten* for every seat. If the gym is successful, they obviously found a need and filled it.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    In some ways I do get it because a lot of obese people feel judged in a gym- which is silly because I've been 300lbs in a gym and didn't really care - plus no one ever judged me and if they did- that's their issue-
    with that being said- what happens when you have a person who was obese, loses weight and is at a lower weight? Do they get kicked out? I don't get that particular part.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

No, to counter this they'll have free pizza Tuesday and Thursday and hand out candy bars at the exit to reward people for a job well done. Planet Fitness is halfway there to doing just this. Free pizza on some Mondays and free tootsie rolls at the front desk.

Genius!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Whats next...

Whites only gym?
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

No, to counter this they'll have free pizza Tuesday and Thursday and hand out candy bars at the exit to reward people for a job well done. Planet Fitness is halfway there to doing just this. Free pizza on some Mondays and free tootsie rolls at the front desk.

Genius!

Man, you are right, they ARE geniuses! Evil geniuses!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think these are good idea if it helps motivate people to get in the gym . these type gyms might be partnered with other gyms so that once you got to fit and thin to go top one gym, maybe you could go to another they own for th same price.

i honestly would LOVE to go to a yoga studio where the instructors have larger bodies. there are several poses I just cant do well not because i dont have the flexibility but because my parts of my large body get in the way.

a few months ago, i essentially got fat shamed in a yoga class. we did the plow pose. i'm able to do it but i cant have my legs straight behind me because my chest and stomach will cut off my air supply, so i get around that by moving my leg to the side of my head. when the instructor walked around she even quietly said to me "nice modification"

right after class some old cow on almost the opposite side of the room who wasnt even the instructor called me out and said i wasnt doing it the movement right. i told her to mind her own f'ing business and let her know that if she was so busy looking at me then she would have noticed i'm fat and i'd pass out from lack of oxygen if i had all that body covering my nose and mouth. of course my f bomb after a peaceful yoga class didnt go over well but i was PISSED that she felt the need to embarrass me. :mad:
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    *headdesk*