Proof Lifting heavy doesn't bulk up females - PICS

Options

Replies

• LittleButMightyOne
    Options
    Me too....almost looks anorexic
    Anorexia is a DISEASE not a SIZE
    Someone can be a size 30, and still be anorexic.
    Keep your ignorance to yourself please.

Although a disease, there are clinical criteria. At a size 30, you would NOT be diagnosed as "anorexic" even with restrictive tendencies. You might be diagnosed instead as "EDNOS [Eating Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified] with restrictive tendencies." One of the clinical criterion for anorexia is a BMI of 17.5 or below, which, by the way, the OP does not appear to be. Thus it IS possible for a body size to be classified as anorexic, even if not due to an eating disorder. This is actually what is technically correct. The reason doctors do not tend to use this term in the cases of wasting diseases is that it *indicates* that the patient is eating-disordered. But, for the sake of argument, if the OP did get to a BMI of below 17.5 due to eating/exercise she actually could be considered "anorexic," by both the technical and popular definitions. Other diagnostic criteria include amennorrhea for 3+ months, intense fear of gaining weight, or dysmorphic view of one's body.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    She didnt ASK if she looked better, she was stating that lifting HEAVY doesnt make you BULKY, and judging by the responses her point was made. None of you know what her plan is next...she did a great job reducing her body fat, and maybe she intends to continue lifting heavy and build muscle from there.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I feel like you looked great in the black photos, very lean, and muscular, but you're defiantly a woman... This is for you to be proud of something you've worked for, don't listen to anyone who says "you looked better before". I think you look awesome now, and if someone has a rude comment, they can keep it to themselves. This is not a bashing board! But either way, you look sexy, and confident, and I love it!!!!

Aside from one or two comments, the majority of the people saying they prefer to before pictures were not "bashing" her, just giving their honest opinion in a respectful way IMO. I personally prefer the before pics, however there may be a few reasons why most people are gravitating toward them. In the first picture she is wearing a cuter swimsuit where as the second one just looks like panties and a sports bra, she's paler in the second one and despite it not being great for you most people associate tan with healthy and her hair looks more done in the first one, and in a ponytail in the second. All of these things could subconsciously guide more people into thinking the first pics look better.

I do not think the muscle tone is bad at all (good for you, that's awesome work) however I do agree the OP is slightly too thin in the second pics but again that could be more attributed to the differences in clothing, lighting, etc. Regardless, if the OP is healthy and happy, then that's all that matters.
  • noweightfisherj
    noweightfisherj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nice work. Looking good.
  • Badd3st
    Badd3st Posts: 28
    Options
    You look great sweetie! Please ignore the negativity. You can definitely see that your body contour is much more defined. I can see the tightness in your arms, abs and thighs. All of this in 30 days??! Keep up the great work! You're doing awesome!!!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I didn't think putting pics up to show 'lifting heavy' doesn't bulk up women,as she has written in her post, actually means she's asked for our opinions and whether we think she's too thin or looks anorexic?!

I will never post pics in these forums, God forbid I would feel destroyed to hear such comments.....and so would most of you.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, before AND after!
    Great job, girl :flowerforyou:

I'd KILL to even have the body you have in your "before" picture... Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as offing someone. I've got to get my lifting on!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    She didnt ASK if she looked better, she was stating that lifting HEAVY doesnt make you BULKY, and judging by the responses her point was made. None of you know what her plan is next...she did a great job reducing her body fat, and maybe she intends to continue lifting heavy and build muscle from there.

Yep.
  • NoChub4Me
    NoChub4Me Posts: 27
    Options
    Please dont take this the wrong way, but i think you looked better before, more womanly. However i applaud your hard work :-)

Agreed
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Most people do seem to think that females don't suit muscle.

And I disagree! ;-)
    I think you look great, congrats for your hard work. You look great before as well, you have a nice figure but I prefer the 'after'. But then again, I love muscles on a woman.

There will always be someone who will not like your physique; that is why we must do this for ourselves. At the end, we're the one we have to please. I've had some people tell me the same thing; it doesn't bother me anymore. Love muscles!

Good job and keep lifting :)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    People can be so.. nasty, jealous, I don't know what it is but anyway.. :noway:

You look great, before and after! Great progress :smile:
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I didn't think putting pics up to show 'lifting heavy' doesn't bulk up women,as she has written in her post, actually means she's asked for our opinions and whether we think she's too thin or looks anorexic?!

I will never post pics in these forums, God forbid I would feel destroyed to hear such comments.....and so would most of you.

This.

She didn't ASK for opinions. She said lifting doesn't make women look like The Hulk. She was providing pictures to show her point. Her point was right.

You all need to think about how YOU would feel if you put in A LOT of hard work (and I mean A LOT) and then everyone went "Ewwwww you looked better BEFORE" all without prompting! It would make you feel like crap. It really would.
  • KStambulic
    KStambulic Posts: 131
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has always been "skinny" (in other people's eyes) I find it just as offensive when someone tells me I'm too skinny as if I'd told them they were too fat. I also find it insulting when other women insinuate (or blatently say) that somehow my smaller curves are not as "womanly" as their big hooters. Each woman is different; beautiful in their own way, and lean muscle mass is never a bad thing, imo. I think of my ex-BIL who does iron man competions and even though he is "skinnier" than most men I know, no one would ever consider him anorexic.

OP, I think you look great! Keep up the hard work.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i think you look better in the first one too, but i know how hard it is to get as small as you are so i applaud your hard work
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Please dont take this the wrong way, but i think you looked better before, more womanly. However i applaud your hard work :-)

:O(
    I agree with this too.
    I applaud your commitment but I am a little worried about you.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's sad that when a woman puts up photos of herself, people feel that's an invitation to immediately give their opinions on how she looks and what will or wont make her look like a "proper woman".

This was a picture set to prove to other ladies that lifting heavy does not bulk up the average woman, and it illustrated that quite clearly! Well done on your strength gains!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I guess people can call me rude or negative or whatever they want, but I am far from it. I don't think your after pic looks like you have been lifting at all, but just cutting calories. It does not look like you have built any muscle (which is true since you haven't been eating enough to build any.) From the picture it does look like you are an unhealthy weight. That's my opinion. I could be wrong. I am sorry if it offends you. I just hope you are being healthy. I don't know why you would be eating under maintenance, as you are already very thin. Wishing you the best. I hope you continue on to a healthy journey to achieve healthy goals.

ETA: I am the last person you will ever see on here, shaming any woman's body. That's not what I'm trying to do to you either. I am speaking out of genuine concern for your health.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    In my honest opinion, I think the main reasons she looked "better" before is because of two things: 1, her bikini (or underwear, whichever) seemed to fit her properly and flatter her body. And two, she looked a little tan, so she had a healthy glow about her.

Let's be honest, her body shape is sexy anyway, so that's not the problem.

The problem is the white, (slightly loose in the top) bra and panties that do nothing to flatter her lovely, pale skin. Then, pair that with a very thin, but also very fit body, and the lines blur.

You look lovely, and I hope you get to your fitness goals. However, I couldn't help but notice that you're still looking to lose a few pounds on your ticker? If you're building muscle, as thin as you are now, you're probably only going to gain a few pounds. Don't let those discourage you, however. You look great, and you have some lovely muscle curves beginning to show on your tummy. :)
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose extra fat AND build muscle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFhOisbtvZY
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!