Options
    amen to that :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Nope, my view is not skewed at all, it is accurate

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-60953/Why-fat-fit-save-life.html

Fat and fit is better than skinny and unfit
    Obesity may be less of a health hazard than was feared, claim scientists.

Because, even if you are fat, the key to prolonging your life seems to be how fit you are.

Researchers found that slim people who are unfit have a death rate double that of obese people who exercise regularly.

The American expert behind the study says the modern plague of inactivity may be more of a danger to health than the obesity epidemic being experienced on both sides of the Atlantic.

Professor Steven Blair said technological developments had engineered physical activity out of many people's lives and left them more likely to fall victim to life-threatening illnesses and premature death as a result.

'We don't even have to open doors any more - electricity does it for us - and there are 10,000 more examples like that,' he said.

'It isn't just the TV and computer taking over our lives - it's an insidious change in everyday activity that is robbing us of good health.'

Prof Blair and his team at the Cooper Institute in Dallas studied thousands of men and women aged from their 20s to their 80s.

The tests, conducted over several decades, show physical activity is a more important signpost to health than being overweight.

'Data from our recent study in the U.S. on 30,000 people shows that lean individuals who are unfit have a death rate that is more than double that of obese individuals who are fit. Inactivity is the key problem rather than obesity itself,' said Prof Blair.

He told a conference on obesity in London yesterday that people were checked for physical fitness using treadmill tests.

One group who improved their fitness between two such examinations a year apart had a 50 per cent drop in their death rate over the following ten years, compared with an unfit group of people who did nothing to improve activity levels.

'We found those people who lost weight and at the same time improved their fitness had a big reduction in the risk of dying. But those who lost weight and did not get fit had an increased risk of dying, ' said Prof Blair.

In the UK, three out of five adults are over-weight or obese - the level at which their health is seriously threatened - and the problem has tripled in 20 years.

Altogether, half of women and about twothirds of men are clinically overweight or obese and the problem is mirrored among children.

Recent studies show a doubling of youngsters with weight problems and almost one in ten under four is obese.

Illnesses triggered by obesity, such as diabetes, colon cancer and stroke, can reduce life expectancy by around nine years.

Prof Blair said the problem may be due to an unhealthy diet, but added: 'It is much more likely to point to the drop in energy expenditure in the last 25 years.

'I'm not talking about jogging or going to the gym but the lack of activity in everyday lives that has just crept up on everyone.'

UK statistics show people are spending longer sitting in front of computer and TV screens - watching 26 hours of television a week in the mid-1990s compared with 13 hours in the 1960s.

Barely one in three people takes part in regular exercise, almost all youngsters between seven and 18 are classified as 'inactive' and safety fears mean children are less likely to walk to school and back.
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    My journey is about me. I am finally putting myself, my health in the daily routine of my life. I would like to be at a healthy, maintainable weight for me. YEARS ago I was about 165 and I felt great. I'm sure others would cringe at that number, but for me, it might be a healthy weight once again.

Each person has their own goals, ideal weight/size.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    OP ignore all the haters!! Thats their job, to hate. But that being said i 100% agree with you. So many people are focused on being thin or skinny. I just want to live longer and be as healthy as possible. Cheers sister ! Right there with you!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I am saying regardless of weight, being FIT is better - why is that so hard to understand?

and here's another
    Steven Blair is professor of exercise science at the University of South Carolina. He describes the official focus on obesity as an "obsession ... and it's not grounded in solid data".

Blair's most fascinating study, in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2007, took 2,600 people aged 60 and above, of various degrees of fatness, and tested their fitness on the treadmill, rather than asking them to quantify it themselves. This is an unusually rigorous approach, he claims, since many rival surveys ask participants to assess their own fitness, or ignore it as a factor altogether. Proper tests, Blair suggests, demonstrate no hard and fast link between excess weight and increased mortality.

"There is an 'association' between obesity and fitness," he agrees, "but it is not perfect. If you look at the normal-weight men and women aged 60 and older, for example, about 90% are fit as demonstrated by a 'maximal exercise' test in the laboratory. This is not asking them if they're fit, or guessing that they're fit – they've proved it on the treadmill. As you progress towards overweight, class I obesity and class II obesity, the percentage of individuals who are fit does go down. But here's a shock: among class II obese individuals [with a body mass index, or BMI, of between 35 and 39.9], about 40% or 45% are still fit. You simply cannot tell by looking whether someone is fit or not."

But doesn't that only prove that some fat people can hold their own on the treadmill? Not at all, Blair says. "In all of these studies, we typically see higher rates of mortality, chronic diseases, heart attacks and the like, in people with high BMI – we see the same thing that everybody else sees. But when we look at these mortality rates in fat people who are fit, we see that the harmful effect of fat just disappears.

"If we look at individuals who are obese and just moderately fit – we're not talking about marathon runners here – their death rate during the next decade is half that of the normal weight people who are unfit. So it's a huge effect."
  • meganpowell94
    Options
    Do I want to be SKINNY?
    No thank you! I'd rather be FIT! Skinny to me could equate to illness and sickness. It doesn't always equate to healthy. There are SKINNY Aids and Cancer victims.
    Skinny people can be unhealthy and NOT fit. I think I've heard a word for that called Skinny -fat. It's very sad when I hear women say they want to be skinny. I know it may be a word and just semantics- I just cringe when I hear it. Can anyone relate? My goal is always to be fit and healthy.

Skinny doesn't always equate to beauty. I've also seen gorgeous "fat" people. I hate that women especially are so brainwashed. I am cuter when I am fit- but I also know that I could be 130lbs and still not look perfect, I will still have a longer that I'd prefer face, a bigger than I'd want nose, and bags under my eyes that unless I go under the knife, are genetic features.

Skinny doesn't equate to having a perfect life. No one has a perfect life. Your life may be easier if you are fit- but your problems still don't go away magically. If you have depression or anxiety when you are overweight, unless you get therapy, chances are the depresison/anxiety will still continue. Weight loss doesn't change that- your MIND is what makes or breaks you.

People do not love you more if you are fit. If they do, they are not the quality people you'd want in your life anyway and you'd deserve more.

If people judge you, that's their issue, but remember skinny does not equate to beauty or necessarily good physical or mental health. You have to WORK hard to be fit- even thin people have to work hard to be fit.

How do you want your life? Anyone get me? :) If so msg me, add me, always up for new friends! :)

Some people are naturally "sticks" and they can't help it. My boyfriend is one, he's 6'2" and 138-145lbs.

Personally I think you are just jealous of thinness. Or else you wouldn't be freaking out over something that does not even apply to you. When I see a skinny model that is beautiful, I don't say "Wow, she is DISGUSTINGLY THIN!" I say, "Wow, she looks really beautiful".
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    These forums are so filled with drama.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I define fitness as being sound inside and out.
    Optimal health is reflected in our outward appearance. My goals are to look good, feel great and live well.
    That means healthy BMI ie NOT obese, athletic body fat ie NOT fat and sound medical numbers related to blood work, resting heart rate and blood pressure.

It's a total package. It's not enough to be some fat guy who can swim 5 miles, bench 350 and do 40 pull ups. I was that guy already. Nope, I need to feel good about the man in the mirror.
    Just an opinion.....
  • meganpowell94
    Options
    These forums are so filled with drama.

You took the words right out of my mouth...
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be skinny and fit :)

OP, I think the first couple of lines unfortunately set the tone for the rest of your post. I don't think you meant anything bad by it. But maybe look at it this way:

My goal is to be blonde, NOT BRUNETTE!
    Do I want to be BRUNETTE?
    No thank you! I'd rather be BLONDE! Brunette to me could equate to illness and sickness.

Compared to:

My goal is to be blonde! I love the way it looks, and it's just as pretty as brunette.

I know a silly comparison but I'm short on creativity tonight :)

:flowerforyou:
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Good for you OP. My goal is to be accepting of everybody, regardless of their body type because there truly is beauty in anyone, whether they're fit/fat/sticks/overweight/any of the above. To each their own though. :cheers:
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Good idea, poor execution. Whenever we have to put another group of people down to lift someone (read ourselves) up, it is always a bad idea and will get bashed. At one time, and still in certain countries/societies, being overweight was a sign of health and affluence. Cue the fat bashing to make those "less" fortunate feel better. Here comes MFP where fat people are supposed to feel, oh I don't know, safe from society, and we commence to bashing the skinny/thin people because they're not US.

Like I said, the intent may not have been there, but the biases were clear! And I call myself the healthiest fat woman on the planet.
  • MandyZacherl79
    MandyZacherl79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can completely agree! I was once skinny then gained weight back so not worth looking like a walking skeleton..My goal now is to be fit!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Come on, Blair's already admitted that his research was limited and might not be reliable because he relied on women's self-reported activity levels, and so on. No fitness evaluation, no testing, not even a treadmill test. It's been dismissed. Look at his study yourself.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2951585/

I'm sure exercise and being "fit" will help improve the risk of obesity related problems. Great! There's just no need to bash others for being thin.
  • eyecandy1202
    Options
    Still trying to get why I should care what one persons opinion is...................................
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I say I want to be healthy, not this obese fat.
    But I´m not looking to be skinny, just be a slimmer than I´m now and feeling better with myself and look better because this fat isn´t attractive. Not skinny, I feel sorry for people who are skinny, they look often as they are ill.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    What do you say to those who are naturally skinny? Are they not beautiful because of genetics as you said yourself? Are they just like the AIDS and cancer victims you said about yourself?

You can be fit AND skinny; skinny does not always mean unhealthy.

I think you missed the point.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Skinny doesn't always mean unhealthy....
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different goals. If your goal is to be fit, not skinny, then good on you. Some people want to be skinny, some want to be fit, some just want to be healthy, some don't care, and some want to be muscular. It's good that you want to be fit, but that doesn't make being skinny a bad thing.