A stranger's harsh words

Options
I'm normally quite a strong person and don't really let anyone who says anything affect me, but on Friday, that all changed..!

I was out with friends for a long brunch (my "cheat" meal for the month) and some random (albeit drunk) man was walking around with his girlfriend and said to her 'let's get away from here because that woman is fat".. in ear shot!!! I asked him what he said and he repeated it, looking directly at me, "what, you are really fat"... my only response was that I couldn't help it if he was an "a'hole"... but the damage was done, I was devastated, still am. I held myself together, until I got in a taxi and then bawled my eyes out for an hour until I fell asleep... how does he not know what affect this could have on someone, what if they weren't as strong as I am??

How can anyone be that cruel..! It is clearly up to you what you think, but why would you say something so offensive to someone your walking past, whether you know them or not..!

I used to be "less cuddly" but through a year of ups and downs and stress and tragedy, I've gained around 60 pounds... I started work on finding myself again at the beginning of June and shed 9 of them so far. My journey's only just beginning but people like that don't help... although I woke up the next morning and went for a 5km walk in searing heat - so I guess, sucks to be him (probably cuddling a toilet bowl somewhere) because what he did, made me get up the next morning to ensure I got my exercise in..! I'm a "shrinking healthily" 226 pound woman with feelings, damn it!

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Good God, some people really should have their mouths stapled shut. I'm so sorry you were the victim of a true blue moron. I know it's easier said than done, but try to dismiss his comments and consider the source.....a loser. Try to turn it into motivation in your mind. You can change your lifestyle, he sure can't. Big hugs to you. You ARE strong, we all have our vulnerable moments. What I'd give to meet up with him with a sledgehammer. :flowerforyou:
  • BigMomma742
    BigMomma742 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry that happened to you. People can be so flipping mean and can think they're so funny when they're drunk, and HE better watch it cause WE all know alcohol has a LOT of calories! I have an elderly friend who thinks it's okay to talk about my weight every time I see her. When she met my regular-sized sister, she pouted, "awww, you got the fat gene." I just said, "Hey, thanks for that!" What irritates me as bad is getting called "sir!" I am big-boned, around 5'10" and before I grew my hair out would get called sir about every 6 months. At first it didn't bother me until it kept happening. After a while I would thank them sir/ma'am right back purposely mixing up the gender :) I hope you have a great day, and you sound like a strong and very nice person and that's what really counts. YOu have to wonder what HE was really insecure about....
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude! I've had a couple of episodes like this....standing on a street corner while pushing stroller and waiting for a car to turn the corner n a girl leans out n says walk fatso! I didn't know wat to say but too late nyway. I didn't go home n cry but I had a lump in my throat for days...joined a weightloss group n lost 40lbs (put it back on later after more babies). There are really stupid people out there that know it's wrong but in order to make themselves feel superior, they will find the easiest way to make u feel small and unfortunately, how we look in shallow world makes us an easy target. Good on u for your walk next day. Keep going...however long it takes...just get there and trust me, even 1/2 way you feel powerful and strong and no one will b able to make u feel this way again! (although you r obviously smart n put the episode in it's place)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hi Tas3980, I'm sorry to hear what you have experienced with that man. He was immature and had self hatred. Don't give him your power or anyone else your power. If someone think you are fat, so be. I have been told by a family member that I was fat and I told that person that yes, I'm fat. I'm not going to let words get to me. I"m not trying to lose body fat for anyone but myself. I'm beautiful no matter what size I am and so are you. Ugly people will always be ugly. They will say anything to people, because of their self hatred. A lot of people believe they have to be a certain weight in order to be accepted and that's not true. You have to be happy, you don't make others happy.
  • hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!

About 10 years ago I was at a bar with my sister. I had just lost some weight and thought I looked pretty good. A drunk guy walked past me and said to his friend "don't let me get drunk enough to go home with something like that."

Some people are just jerks!

Your dong a great job, keep going!!
  • dnunny
    dnunny Posts: 125
    Options
    Oh sweetie, you have to consider the source. Some random drunk guy. He is nobody in your life. He doesn't matter. You matter! Focus on the positive changes YOU are making! You have done amazing! 9lbs--GONE FOREVER!! Focus your energy on that.

My journey is just beginning. I feel very, very self conscious when I swim. One of the classes is at night and outside. I feel like everyone at the pool is looking at me. I feel like all eyes are on my thighs, butt, legs, arms, gut. Once I get the warm-up done I think to myself-Hey, I might be fat-but I'm doing something about it! It helps, a little.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I try to keep things like that in perspective and it sounds like you did a good job doing that! His ignorance and bad manners is his problem (and his girlfriend's - too bad for her!). I weighed 228 when I started last year and I am now at 175! I prayed for YEARS that I could lose weight and nothing stuck. I do not know why I can do it now - maybe because my kids are older and I have the time to work on myself. I work out 7 - 8 hours every week and try to work out for an hour every day. I set small goals and those led to bigger ones. I got rid of the food in my house that would lead to overeating. I go on date night with my husband every Sat night and I wear something that makes me feel good. I applaud your ability to get up the next morning and keep going! You WILL MEET YOUR GOALS and try to feel good about who you are NOW. Buy yourself something that makes you feel pretty, or that makes a personal asset shine - new make up - high heels, pretty sun dress. Don't let anyone tell you that you are not worthy of respect at ANY weight. Good luck and God bless!!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Hi Tas3980, I'm sorry to hear what you have experienced with that man. He was immature and had self hatred. Don't give him your power or anyone else your power. If someone think you are fat, so be. I have been told by a family member that I was fat and I told that person that yes, I'm fat. I'm not going to let words get to me. I"m not trying to lose body fat for anyone but myself. I'm beautiful no matter what size I am and so are you. Ugly people will always be ugly. They will say anything to people, because of their self hatred. A lot of people believe they have to be a certain weight in order to be accepted and that's not true. You have to be happy, you don't make others happy.

I was going to post - but this is perfect. ! He will always be an unhappy, mean spirited man. Whether he's fat, skinny, whatever - he will always be mean spirited and unhappy. You are beautiful for MANY reasons. You will always have the qualities that make you a special person. Stay strong! :flowerforyou:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I would have coughed on him and said, "I have TB, too."

But that is why my friends can't take me anywhere.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hurt less that the words are from a drunk (but it should).
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Dear girl please don't let a drunk's words get to you. He is obviously a loser! And a careless skuzz! I have nothing against a drink but to blast his mouth off at someone he doesn't know tells me he is a coward too. Let those words pass and know you are here doing what you need to do to get healthy. We all start from somewhere we don't want to be, me included. That's why we use MFP, to better ourselves! Friend me if you want to. And continue on this journey to a long healthy life!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    People are such a s s holes I truly wish those people would have the things they feel uncomfortable about pointed out. It hurts like hell. I was told I was fat by other kids almost daily when I was younger, how can their parents not have taught them not to say stuff like that???

Keep your head up he obviously lives a less than mediocre life and is a piece of crap. You're doing better for yourself and he was probably I some sick way trying to impress that girl, and if she was any girl worth I impressing she would have turned him down for such comments.

Man if I were you I would have told him he had girl hands!!!!

I wanted to add you are a very beautiful young lady with a gorgeous smile! I bet he was just trying to make himself feel better for not having you is tead of that girl! He really ment to say " we need to move her beauty outshines my ego."
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    Don't ever let someone's words have such an impact on you...you are, by your actions, who you are. The steps you are taking now to change your life say much more to you than some random idiots statement. Keep your head held high and continue your journey...that is behind you now and when and if it rears it's ugly head again...pay it no mind...you are better, stronger and more intelligent than that!!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

Snort!!!

Seriously sorry that happened to you. Good for you for getting up the next day and making it fuel for your fire!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Guys (or women( like) lack that filter that says they are a civilized species. Ah well, seems to be part of a general lack of intelligent thought before opening mouth, lol. I am so glad that you handled it so well and it just fueled your desire to continue your weight loss journey instead of consoling yourself with food. That was a tough call for me at first, upset me, I'll go find some comfort food, So many of us from the older generation were programmed by our parents to believe that food was a way to solve an owie of any sort.

Carry on beautiful lady in your pursuit of a healthier person.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You should have punched him in the bean bag.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    You took it, you cried and you got over it. ummm Maam You are WINNING
  • Jenmoller
    Jenmoller Posts: 1
    Options

@Mara - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love that!

@Tas - I find that wantonly cruel people are usually quite unintelligent as well. If people who have never struggled with their weight or self esteem KNEW how tough it is, they'd keep their mouths shut and have a lot more respect for people who struggle to maintain a healthy weight. I love Jon Gabriel for this message - he says that people who are overweight are in constant struggle with their own bodies and that 'controlling' the urge to overeat is as impossible as controlling the urge to breathe. Losing weight isn't about willpower or control - it's about learning why you are overweight and changing whatever needs to be changed.

Good luck - chin up and ignore the ***holes. Not worth the tears.
  • vonne06
    vonne06 Posts: 42
    Options
    So sorry that you were treated like that. You are beautiful. Keep your chin up and press on with your dreams. Let his sorry *kitten* drink his troubles away.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Fat people are fair targets in a cruel world.
    And don't ever delude yourself; the world is cruel. Look no further than how kids can treat one another. And when it comes to mean comments about a person's looks, those too nice to say it are usually thinking it.
    It could be weight, hair, age - whatever. People like the one making comments abound.
    And this guy has to live with the miserable person that he is. That's his punishment.
    Don't be angry at him but pity him.
    Anybody so toxic and eaten up with the dismals is one to feel sorry for. Remember, when people act out, it's really nothing more than a cry for help.
    Just let it go and keep working toward your goals.
    All Is Possible :flowerforyou: