I give up!

Options
12346»

Replies

• JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    Out of interest, how tall are you?
    5'1, otherwise I'm pretty sure that 105 would be underweight :)

No-one here can say whether 105 would be underweight for you or not...it is on the low end however, even for your height. At your age (well, at any age) you really need to ensure that you keep a healthy body fat percentage.

Also, at 18, unless there is a medical condition, there is no way that you should not be able to lose at 1,200 calories. One of the issues with eating less is that you have to be really really careful with your diet and eat really heathily to get the approriate macro and micronutrients and from your diary, it would seem that you are not at all.
    I take a multivitamin/multimineral pill every day, if that changes anything =/ And I'm basing my idea of what a good weight should be for me of a BMI calculator.

taking off some of the quotes as it is getting long.

Its better than not taking it, but a multi-vitamin will not replace the requirements you basically can only get from food.
    What are some things you can only get from food? One of the problems I have is that no one in my house as the ability or the desire to cook. We end up eating weird meals like a sleeve of crackers and whatnot, which I imagine isn't very good for you...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No-one here can say whether 105 would be underweight for you or not...it is on the low end however, even for your height. At your age (well, at any age) you really need to ensure that you keep a healthy body fat percentage.

Also, at 18, unless there is a medical condition, there is no way that you should not be able to lose at 1,200 calories. One of the issues with eating less is that you have to be really really careful with your diet and eat really heathily to get the approriate macro and micronutrients and from your diary, it would seem that you are not at all.
    I take a multivitamin/multimineral pill every day, if that changes anything =/ And I'm basing my idea of what a good weight should be for me of a BMI calculator.

Its better than not taking it, but a multi-vitamin will not replace the requirements you basically can only get from food.
    What are some things you can only get from food? One of the problems I have is that no one in my house as the ability or the desire to cook. We end up eating weird meals like a sleeve of crackers and whatnot, which I imagine isn't very good for you...

Well, all of the macronutrients for one. I hate cooking, am terrible at it and rarely do it myself (except one fry pan meals) - and it is not really necessary most of the time. To be honest, if you are not willing to make the effort to be healthy, no one can do it for you. Taking a multi-vitamin and calling it 'job done' is not the answer. Eat a well balanced diet = fruits, vegetables, dairy and you will be halfway there. Go out and buy the things I suggested that are calorie dense also.
  • JuneBPrice
    Options

Well, all of the macronutrients for one. I hate cooking, am terrible at it and rarely do it myself (except one fry pan meals) - and it is not really necessary most of the time. To be honest, if you are not willing to make the effort to be healthy, no one can do it for you. Taking a multi-vitamin and calling it 'job done' is not the answer. Eat a well balanced diet = fruits, vegetables, dairy and you will be halfway there. Go out and buy the things I suggested that are calorie dense also.
    What is a "macronutrient?" And I'll try to get that stuff, I just have to wait until my parents go shopping again =/
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this is all you have heard, but your calories are way to low! Eat healthy foods, and keep it around 1200 calories. If you workout hard...even a little higher. Your body needs fuel to run, and your not eating enought to fuel it.

Good luck
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The process of getting healthy can be frustrating at times. I would say don't give up. Try eating more like everyone is saying...give your body good fuel to run off of. Even if you never lost a pound (which I'm sure you will) you will feel better.
    You say in your profile that you want to lose weight to be more active with your kids...are you really ready to give up on that goal?
  • LennonStarr
    Options
    I, too, will say don't give up. I've only just started on this site, but have been battling my weight for quite some time. I was doing well with losing, before I injured my back then got pregnant (two separate incidents... one didn't cause the other!) but now, I'm struggling again.

My bariatric doctor told me my goal for calorie intake was exactly 1200 calories, so don't listen to those who say it is too low without knowing your situation. You should talk to a nutritionist or dietician to get a plan specific for you and your body and goals.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary too. You're not eating enough. Eventually your body will start to shrink if you keep starving it. But that is no way to lose weight. You don't have to eat the way you have been to lose weight. I promise.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    don't give up sweetie! hard work will pay off. start eating more and stop eating in the evenings! just try it for one week!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What is a "macronutrient?" And I'll try to get that stuff, I just have to wait until my parents go shopping again =/

Macronutients are carbohydrates, fats and proteins.

On looking at your profile and reading your comment above, it seems as though you may be under 18. If you are, the comments about eating enough in general and eating enough healthy food is doubly important. You should not be looking to lose any more weight at your age. If you can however, I would suggest talking to your parents about getting healhier foods in the house (fruits, veggies etc) as well as the calorie dense foods I noted earlier.
  • jackiebebby
    jackiebebby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration! 2 weeks of watching carefully and i finally got that stupid scale to move- not even a pound but i will still take it. Hang in there. Eat 500 calories under what you burn every day and you will be good! Also, maybe your salt intake is making you retain water?
  • JuneBPrice
    Options

On looking at your profile and reading your comment above, it seems as though you may be under 18. If you are, the comments about eating enough in general and eating enough healthy food is doubly important. You should not be looking to lose any more weight at your age. If you can however, I would suggest talking to your parents about getting healhier foods in the house (fruits, veggies etc) as well as the calorie dense foods I noted earlier.
    I am 18, actually, I just can't drive if that's what made you think I'm a minor. If it's the fact that I don't know what a macronutrient is, what I can say, I never took a high school health class. I'm not sure what on my profile would make you think that I'm younger, unless you mean the one picture I have of myself. I look young. If it's just because I sound immature, it's because I am. I can't really prove my age, the closest I can come is the fact that my senior portrait is on my profile, which just proves that I've been a senior. But whatever, you win, I'm going to try to do this the healthy way for the first time in my life.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I am 18, actually, I just can't drive if that's what made you think I'm a minor. If it's the fact that I don't know what a macronutrient is, what I can say, I never took a high school health class. I'm not sure what on my profile would make you think that I'm younger, unless you mean the one picture I have of myself. I look young. If it's just because I sound immature, it's because I am. I can't really prove my age, the closest I can come is the fact that my senior portrait is on my profile, which just proves that I've been a senior. But whatever, you win, I'm going to try to do this the healthy way for the first time in my life.
    Learning how to make sensible food choices is a great skill to develop before going off to college. Eating in a college commons/cafeteria can be crazy- the ones at my school were like all-you-can-eat buffets with unlimited delicious choices. Couple that with some drinking and the freshman 15 become the freshman 30. Argh!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

It had nothing to do with whether you knew what a macronutrient was - there is no way you necessarily would be expected to. I did not actually look at the pictures on your profile.

You say on your profile "Why I Want To Get In Shape - For college :) " My understanding is that in the US you are generally 18 before you go to college (although I understand that depends on when your birthday falls - but I was not educated in the US, so the ages of when you go to college are a bit confusing to me). That combined with the comment re the parents lead my to indicate you may be under 18. There are a lot of girls who post on here and end up to be 15 or so. I did not mean to offend, I just wanted to be careful as to any advice given.

I am really glad that you have decided to do this the healthy way - good on you and good luck.
  • JuneBPrice
    Options

It had nothing to do with whether you knew what a macronutrient was - there is no way you necessarily would be expected to. I did not actually look at the pictures on your profile.

You say on your profile "Why I Want To Get In Shape - For college :) " My understanding is that in the US you are generally 18 before you go to college (although I understand that depends on when your birthday falls - but I was not educated in the US, so the ages of when you go to college are a bit confusing to me). That combined with the comment re the parents lead my to indicate you may be under 18. There are a lot of girls who post on here and end up to be 15 or so. I did not mean to offend, I just wanted to be careful as to any advice given.

I am really glad that you have decided to do this the healthy way - good on you and good luck.
    I'm not offended, I get mistaken for a 14 year old in my day to day life because I'm short and have big eyes, so I'm used to it. And thanks :)

And by "college" I mean "university," by the way...
  • JuneBPrice
    Options

Learning how to make sensible food choices is a great skill to develop before going off to college. Eating in a college commons/cafeteria can be crazy- the ones at my school were like all-you-can-eat buffets with unlimited delicious choices. Couple that with some drinking and the freshman 15 become the freshman 30. Argh!
    I'm living at home, actually, but I'll keep that in mind, thanks :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    This is certainly a good time for all of us to learn (or relearn) the basics of nutrition. I'm not a big fan of cooking either, but I can eat very well and with very little effort by steaming veggies, putting together easy stir fries, and getting most of my calories from plants, whole grains, lean meats and a little dairy. I just got back from the store. I bought whole cherries, a bag of sugar snap peas, some whole almonds, pretzels, a bag of frozen chicken breasts, yogurt, hummus, pita chips, tomatoes, string cheese, and fresh broccoli. Added to what is already in my kitchen, I think I can use up those items to make some pretty healthy meals without a lot of fuss and bother. There is a wealth of nutrition information on the Internet as well as lots of recipes.

A person who is 18 is old enough learn to take responsibility and not rely on parents to make those decisions. Yes, we are all different: in body composition, food tastes, lifestyle. But the basics of good health are pretty much the same. Cut out the empty calories; eat real, sustaining food that is high in nutritional value. You want the biggest bang for your nutritional buck, especially when you are shooting for 1200 calories.