Unhealthy people working in the healthcare field

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    i question fat nurses all the time. I just don't trust em.

Do you question your hair stylist with that JACKED Do? What about doctors with drinking problems? What about supposedly smart people who DO or Say DUMB things? What does being fat has to do with getting me meds or giving me a shot or wiping my *kitten*??? NOW, if I saw an overweight or obese Nutritionist or Trainer I'd have a problem, but maybe I would NOT because I would NOT select them for those services. Use some common sense!

wow you took that awful serious huh.
    sucks to be you.

ps: as for your attempt at insulting my hair or "jacked do". seeing as your opinion does not matter to me; guess who doesn't give two good hot forks. Good try though.

Yea, I think a lot of people took that offensive based on the replies. It is just rude. You clearly have nothing positive or any valid comments to add. I feel sorry for you. I hope you are more mature when you are answering your 911 calls. (sucks to be you?)

You may feel anyway you like for me Scubachick. You are entitled to that as I am entitled to my opinion. It does not define me nor does ONE opinion that is disagreed with.
  • naturallyflyy
    naturallyflyy Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Im a nurse as well..and I feel you on that! I like to be healthy for myself and to set an example for whom I give patient teaching to.
  • LOL..........I guess I am one of those "fat" nurses that shouldn't be trusted!! :huh: And yea, sometimes I eat a candy bar at the start of my shift b/c that is probably the ONLY thing I will eat that day b/c my "untrustable" fat but will be running around all day taking care of other people. I dont even get to pee until I get back home! And while I may not make the best choices for myself, I always make the best choices for my patients!! We are here to lose weight not judge other people, this is SOO sad. I bet if you needed someone to save your butt you would trust a "fat" nurse in a heartbeat!!!

:noway: ...............feel much better now!

Yeah this. Sometimes I often find this site to be not very supportive and full of negativity. Personally I'd rather have a competent fat nurse than an incompetent skinny one, but looking at some of the responses here, I guess the skinny nurse would be more to their liking.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

That's just rude.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

this, and it seems, in the situations where i've had to deal with nurses in my personal experience, they were all fat or on their way there. I see it as a hygiene/health red flag.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't think it affects the way people do their job, however, I think it can make them better at their job. My husband is the CEO of the local YMCA. He was overweight. Did he do his job well? Yes. Then he lost 100 + pounds... suddenly he was activly engaging the members. People felt they could be honest about their issues with weight loss and food addiction. He was making friends with the guys playing noon basketball and racquetball. He became more involved with the programs by participating in them and therefore giving his members a better experience. He understood what they were battling. I don't think being overweight hinders your job, but I think when you start to change your life and exercise and watch what you eat, you become more aware of what others are dealing with on a daily basis.
  • BNA_Mommy
    BNA_Mommy Posts: 36
    Options
    To be honest, I wont pass judgement.

I work in healthcare... The health system I work in has well over 300+ physicians of well over 30 different areas of medicine and combined medicinal therapies.

The OBGYN that delivered my daughter 19 years ago was a hispanic older gentleman who did have some pounds on him, but I didnt take that into consideration of his ability to affectively give care. The man saved my life as I was rolled into emergency surgery to have a C-section.

My PCP is a man who has known me for 22 years and knows that prior to taking me on as his patient, he knew the abuse I put up with from other PCP's who just didnt give two craps about the mysterious problems I was going through. He didnt toss me aside. The man was my mother's favorite customer - she used to serve him and his family dinner.. and the man ate some pretty unhealthy meals from time to time... I didnt care because that was done on his personal time. He helped me avoid being quarantined when my liver was failing due to extreme high doses of insulin was flooding my body right as I was about to be hospitalized.

My Dermatologist is a loving and caring individual, shares a practice with his wife. The man is unfortunately gaunt for someone 6'5", but does his best considering he too, has problems. I honor the ground the man walks on as he helped me with my hair-loss problem and made no judgement against me. I just had my last visit with him, and I cried knowing I wasnt going to be seeing him again because he was just that damn good of a doctor, but also a friend. Out of all his patients, I willingly chose to be part of a case study for women dealing with a number of medical problems like I am. He trusted me as a fellow medical professional, a patient and friend to give him the data he needed.

We are all human beings with a variety of problems going on, whether work-related, personal related, health-related, etc. What right do I have to pass judgement on them? Absolutely none whatsoever.

WELL SAID!!!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    As my mother used to say, "Do as I say, not as I do."
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm an MA, and I work with mostly overweight nurses. We just don't take care of ourselves the way we should. Part of it is the hours. Part of it is the drug reps and their tasty snacks that they bring. Part of it is just not having the time to eat what we should/exercise.

My trainer told me that people in the medical field are the worst clients she has (myself included!) and those are the excuses she hears most often.

ETA: I still get upset if I see a nurse smoking. They recently made our medical complex non-smoking. You can be fined if they find you even smoking in your car. But at this moment I can look out the window and see a gaggle of them decked out in their scrubs on the outside of the gate in a big cloud of smoke. It's sad in the winter time, or when it's raining.

Interesting that medical folks are the worst clients haha. Thanks for sharing that. Definitely agree with you about the smoking thing... that makes me really sad. I know smoking addiction, like weight issues, is a difficult problem, but I just can't imagine smoking ... regardless of my profession ... just knowing what it does to the body. Best of luck to those of them who are trying to quit.
  • BNA_Mommy
    BNA_Mommy Posts: 36
    Options
    I was a big girl for the first 7 yrs of my nursing career. I was pushing 275 lbs at times. I worked on a Spinal Cord rehabilitation unit. I was "fat" but not "lazy" (like most people in society AUTOMATICALLY think FAT people are). I was strong (as I still am now!). I could lift a deadweight 250lb quadraplegic in and out of bed/wheelchair with no help. When a doctor needed help turning a patient over, or moving them up in bed, they called on ME because of my strength. I worked alongside nurses who exercised/lifted weights on a regular basis and they couldn't come CLOSE to what I could lift/do with my patients. When someone fell and needed help off the floor, I was the one they called to help because I had strength and proper body mechanics. I struggled to lose weight, but because of health issues BEYOND MY CONTROL early in my adulthood, I was unable to lose weight.
    I think it's complete ignorance on ANYONE'S part to think that a fat person shouldn't be in the healthcare field!
  • kcox4166
    kcox4166 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Anytime a sentence begins with "I don't mean to be judgmental but..." you know the judgement is heading your way. I have been a nurse for 9 years, I have struggled with my weight for 20 years. Nurses are people too and have the same struggles as anyone else. I say feel free to pass judgement today, the day will come when you will need a nurse and then you will not care if they are overweight, underweight, smoker, non-smoker, you will just be glad they are skilled in their area of practice.
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    I just want to add to this post that just because someone is skinny, does not mean they are healthy. It does not mean they are following the advice thye are telling you. They could be eating 2500kcal of pizza and ice cream every day.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i got to thinking about this tread today, while i played at the pool with my son. while chasing him back and forth i happened to notice a very large, and young, lifeguard. i started thinking about how a lifeguard's entire job is to keep you safe. essentially, to help those that are struggling.

i was a lifeguard in HS/ college. it's not the easiest certification...... it's much easier to get CPR!!! you swim a ton, and do things like treading water with a 5 or 10 lbs brink over your head for several minutes.

here stood this HEAVY girl, in a two piece lifeguard bikini, and all i could think was how THIS is a job where your image is important!

you look at lifeguards and you notice they look fit, they appear to run a lot, and they usually look strong and heart healthy. when you're a lifeguard, your body is on display and IS your tool for helping/ saving someone. if you go to rescue someone and half way there or half way back get too tired, or short of breath..... you're screwed!!!! if you aren't strong enough to grab a person that is flailing, you're screwed.

if you guys were on here saying that heavy lifeguards worry you, i might agree. but, since i know how tough the certification process is, i feel safe assuming that she was fit enough to pass the test and is probably more than capable of doing her job. like i said, since her BODY is her TOOL, and is there for everyone to see, it would be soooo easy to pass the judgement that since she was heavy, she either doesn't care or just won't be trustworthy enough.........

it was just an interesting progression of thoughts because of this thread.......