WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2012

Options

Replies

• RaysfanATL
    RaysfanATL Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just turned 51 two days ago, great group! Something funny happened to me last week, well it wasn't funny at the time...I gained 5 pounds out of the blue, and sure enough didn't I get my " monthly friend" that I thought was long gone! It had been 5 months, so I thought I was for sure in peri menopause or heading towards menopause! NOPE!!! Sure enough, when it was over, I lost 6 pounds!!
  • Kppr59
    Kppr59 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, this looks like just the group I've been looking for. I am 53 and looking to lose about 65 pounds, 40 by December 2 when I go on a cruise with old friends is an in between goal. I am going to Las Vegas this month so I know I won't stay on track with my calories every day but my goal is to keep it as healthy as possible so I can get back on track as soon as I return. I've only been here a few weeks and already have learned what a difference logging in every day can make!

Goals:
    Increase water intake to 8 glasses per day
    Add 2 more days per week of exercise, I'm only doing 3 now
    Lose 3 pounds, despite trip.

Thanks for the inspiration, Ladies!
  • RaysfanATL
    Options
    I can't seem to get my ticker on my posts!
  • RaysfanATL
    Options
    HA! Got it!
  • RaysfanATL
    Options
    Looking for new friends, I log on as much as possible, and need motivation! I work for an airline, and fly a lot, usually don't take my lap top with me unless I am going to be gone for more than a few days.

In June I changed around my exercise routine, and started doing my strength training first, then my cardio. It seems to work great, I have lost another two pounds, and I just bought a new dress for a wedding, a size 12 petite! It's been YEARS since I fit in a 12 dress, and never in a petite!!

July, I am going to work out longer
    eat healthier at work
    eat healthier when flying
    work on my upper body
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hi I've recently turned 52, and am from Australia. Mother and grandmother. Best thing I've done weight wise is join MFP. It's not as easy at this age, with the change of life, but quite possible it seems to lose the weight and get fit :) The logging and accountability seem to be working.
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Lately my weight loss has been just like a yo-yo. Thanks for the support.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I lost 8.4 lbs last month so pretty happy. I hope to continue losing slowly till I get to my goal (150-160 lbs).
    I am in the middle of a flare up and having severe exhaustion and pain so I can't be on every day. It is all that I can do to exercise and keep up my food log most days. I've started using exercise resistance bands and have found some exercises good for someone who can't do lunges and such for exercise. Hope everyone is doing well.

Goals are to lose 1-2 pounds a week (hopefully)
    Exercise every day (something aerobic)
    Exercise every other day (body building/resistance)
    Eat a healthy plant based diet.

"Tria"
  • amydorscheid
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread! thanks for starting it! My goals for July? I'm on day 15 of the first month of The Skinny Rules. My goals are to stay focused, doing weights 3 x a week, walking on my lunch hour, drinking 80 oz + of water each day.
  • KauandMe
    KauandMe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, would love to join you.

I don't have any goals set for July except to continue doing what I have been doing.

I am following a whole foods plant-based lifestyle (Eat to Live) .... I just started jogging and can now run a mile without stopping :-)

~janet
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Got room for one more?
    54 and going to lose 70 pounds. Well, not all in July! lol
    goals for July - just joined a water aerobics class - enjoying that and shooting for 10 lbs this month.
    I do lots of walking - but i struggle with arthritis so sometimes thats a no go, but lately - its been good and I'm taking advantage of that.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    mimi - so glad you're back! You've been misssed! I tell you, tough choices we all need to make :)

Laura - which movie did you go see? Give us a review!

Jen - how wonderful your friend is loaning you her house. Virgin Island certainly IS better than Florida. I'd go there in a heartbeat (VI)

kackie - tell me about how hot it is! How wonderful of you to take such great care of your mother.

sahara - welcome, Come back often.

cherp - don't worry, I don't really set goals, either. I know that I just try the best I can to eat right, exercise, and stay in control. Sometimes it works -- then there are the times when I "fall off the wagon". Usually, tho, I feel so "yuk". Welcome!

Lin - take care of youself!

Did 45 minutes of yoga today. I in one sense like the yoga on My Fitness Coach (for the Wii) because you can change the time, by that I mean you can do it for 15 minutes, 1/2 hour, or whatever. They just extend the segments. However, I don't think the people who wrote the programs had someone test it before they put it on the market. Well....it's still good for a change. Then I did an hour of the extreme pump.

We took Loki to the vet today. Oh, he had another seizure last night around 11. So that's one on Wed and two on Sun. The vet gave him phenobarbitol. We're going to give him the first pill today, I don't know how he'll be taking pills. Then we need to go back to the vet in about a month for a blood test to see the phenobarb level.

Played mahjongg tonight, didn't maj even once. Boy, I had almost no jokers! Bowled 5 games this afternoon. Took the new manager a triple chocolate cheesecake. I didn't know it, but he's diabetic. But he's still a really nice guy.

Tomorrow I'll do a step DVD.

Going to Mexican Train dominoes tomorrow night. I'll take some cherries with me and I made these cheese meatballs. Before we go, tho, I'll have some soup. Gotta make Vince something anyway. He doesn't like what people bring, too "spicy". Then again, anything that isn't cardboard is too spicy to him....lol

Welcome everyone that just joined and those who are coming back!

Wish I had time to comment to everyone individually, but tonight I need to take a shower before we give Loki his medicine.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I am so excited to see so many new faces and wish I had time to respond to everyone personally.

:flowerforyou: What an amazing array of exercise everyone is doing----someone said, the best exercise is the one you'll do.....so finding what you like is a very big first step.

:flowerforyou: I did my weight training today while I watched a recording of the Olympic Gymnastics Trials----very inspiring to me to work harder. I have increased the weight on several things I do and it's very exciting.

:flowerforyou: About ten years ago when I was teaching grade one I bought some 25 pound bags of sand for the sand table in my classroom and had to have some kid at the store pick up the bags of sand for me because they were too heavy......recently I went to Costco and bought a 40 pound bag of dog food and a 35 pound container of kitty litter and got them in and out of the cart and the car with no help and no struggle.

:flowerforyou: Mimi, I am so glad you are back......I have missed you so much.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: time to go to bed so I can get up at silly o'clock to walk the dogs

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where it isn't hot.
  • Dar1356
    Dar1356 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I am BRAND NEW to this and found this group, yeah:) Need advice as to how to get started, stay motivated, all that good stuff.... was laid off so have time to really concentrate on eating properly, etc, and becoming the "new'/old me...looking forward to hearing from all of you!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,515 Member
    Options
    Good evening lovelies!

Thank you Barbie :heart: for so faithfully starting us out again.

Very uneven June with predictable results, same 3 pounds off and on again and again. So adding something new and going back to something that worked:

July goals: EVERY DAY: 3 fruits + 5 veggies, at least SOME mat work, average 10K steps, let it be. Really. And NO hooch til the weekend!

Did anyone see where Dr. OZ is now saying 9 (count 'em NINE) servings of fruits and vegetables daily? :noway: Man that is a lot! As an Alton Brown :glasses: fan, I prefer weighing to measuring food. Googled: serving size green beans found http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/month/index.html Very interesting info from the CDC. They suggest I need 1.5 "cups" of fruit and 2.5 "cups" of veggies at my age and activity level. Then they tell you what count's as a "cup". Did you know that a "cup" serving of lettuce is 56 g? 2 oz doesn't sound like much but it turns out that's a LOT of lettuce,:tongue: WAY more than a measuring cup.
    I'll stick with the grams. :laugh:

Hit my 3 fruit and 5 veggie targets 2 days running:bigsmile: and it REALLY keeps me feeling full (You were right Right RIGHT SMVQ! :love: So glad we're both back!)

Belated happy b-day Renny! :flowerforyou: Glad you're back too!

Hugs,
    animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day
    July: EVERY DAY: 3 fruits + 5 veggies, at least SOME mat work, average 10K steps, let it be. Really. and no hooch til the weekend!
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!

matminutes: 2=20 1=33
    steps: 2=12017 1=4561
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Wow, BandedTriRN,
    That is some awesome weight loss. Very inspiring for me. I have 106 lb to loss and have some limitations with my exercise. I need to have an knee replacement, but it cant be done until I lose this weight. I hope you are feeling better soon, Thanks for your post, my weight goal seems possible now! Linda
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Cold and wet in London today. I actually had to put my thicker gloves on when I went out for my walk this morning.

Despite my knee flare up, I am trying to walk as much as possible. I can't go very fast, but at least I'm not using the one, sometimes two walking sticks I had to use when I was 300 pounds plus, just over 2 years ago. I'm hovering around the 119 pounds mark now and want to stay there.

I cannot remember who it was that recommended chia seeds - but thank you! I've been adding them to my breakfast and they are helping to counteract the side effects of the painkillers I'm on.

Mimi, it is good to see you! We miss you so much when you are gone. Big hugs!

I need to get moving - no more than half an hour at one time in front of the computer is my rule when I'm at home.

Have a good day my friends.

Love to all
    Amanda x
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! It is a beautiful, sunny day here in central NY. We are headed north for a day of kayaking with some friends. Afterwards, we will be going to a local beach to spend the evening with grandchildren at their campsite.
    Last week while on vacation I wasn't as careful as usual with my eating. I did get a lot of walking in, but not enough I guess. I am up about 1.5 pounds. Back to logging daily and more exercise!

Hope everyone has a great day! Keep hydrated in this heat!
    Deb A
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Did an hour of balance games on the Wii today. Tomorrow is yoga and then the extreme pump class. On my way home, I think I'll pick up some cheddar cheese that is on sale and make these cheese meatballs for Mexican Train dominoes Tuesday. Right now I'm making a triple chocolate cheesecake for the guy who became the manager at the bowling alley. Would like to get in good with him, you never know when that'll come in handy!

Michele

These recipes sound interesting....care to share? Thanks!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,142 Member
    Options
    Another day---another 8 :drinker:

Hoping everyone has a good and successful day. Big 4th of July celebrations in my town tonight. Loads of fireworks (which is odd since it was the 8th driest June on record here). Anyway, stay safe.

Lin