How do you sleep?

Options

Replies

• spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It has to be quiet. For the first few years we were together, my husband "needed" the TV on to fall asleep. Even with earplugs I couldn't sleep through it. Needless to say I put a stop to that nonsense! Quiet, dark and cool. And now I've been wearing earplugs so long I can't sleep without them, even if he's not in bed yet (he snores something fierce).
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I used to need white noise (the fan, the washer or dryer, the dishwasher, the ac or heater, etc).

Now I sleep with the window open, and can kind of hear the cars on the road.

I sleep best, though, when I have my warm body pillow.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I need noise. I leave the TV on for it. I dont wanna hear the creepy sounds outside lol
  • haley98110
    haley98110 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have to fall asleep to tv on. I usually fall asleep on the couch every night, because tv in room is broken. I set an alarm to wake me up before my hubby gets up for work at 4am and then I need the fan to be on in the room when I go in there. Definitely need noise around me. In middle and high school I needed a radio to be on when I slept.
  • Devonwood
    Devonwood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Absolute silence, and either total darkness or a nightlight somewhere in the room (mainly so I don't stub my toe on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night!)

Every little sound distracts me when I'm trying to fall asleep and jerks me back into awake mode. I absolutely cannot fall asleep with the tv on, because I start paying attention to what's on tv instead of sleeping!
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I prefer running into the wall until I get it just right and it knocks me out, I always sleep well after that.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Ceiling fan.....noise and wind, gotta have it.
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I have to have something on, in the summer I run a fan, in the winter one of those natures soothing sounds machines. If it's too quiet I can't sleep.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I can sleep anywhere, with or without noise, light or dark. If I'm tired, I fall asleep and that is awesome. When I was kid I needed absolute darkness and never got it because my sister, who shared my room, needed a night light.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Usually we have some background noise going. We alternate between ocean waves, summer storms (that's what it's called), and rain on a tin roof.

Sometimes it has to be completely silent.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was a baby she shared our room for her first year (in her own bed). We found she slept better if there was a constant sound when she was napping (a white noise machine). Unfortunately, when we moved her in with our son, we needed (probably me more than my husband), a noise machine in our room as well since we'd gotten so used to it.

Last night our machine completely flipped out and would NOT stay on. Somehow it got put on a timer and would go off every 30- 60 minutes. The SECOND it turned off, I was awake since I can no longer sleep in when it's silent. Thank DOG we managed to get it working correctly so I can sleep tonight.

So, my question - can you sleep when it's quiet, or do you need noise or can you pretty much fall asleep no matter what?

There is an app for that!! at least on android and I love it!! It is called relax and sleep! I MUST have noise!!
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Soundsleeping.com it's a sound machine on the net you can adjust the sounds to your liking .... love it
  • Beana21
    Beana21 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Absolutely pitch black. No lights coming from anywhere or anything from within my room. I use a fan to make a soothing noise, plus light blankets for warmth. I've never been a person who could sleep uncovered. There's just something reassuring about having something on me as I sleep. I also take a long time to drift off, so I was jealous of my ex-boyfriends who could fall asleep almost immediately. lol
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i am a very sound sleeper and have slept through fire alarms, earthquakes and tornado sirens....i honestly cant stand when there is noise in the room when trying to fall asleep....but once i am out, im out.
  • Luxxmundi
    Luxxmundi Posts: 52
    Options
    I prefer to sleep when its silent, but my OH likes to watch a movie to fall asleep to, so most of the time I go to bed earlier, fall asleep and get woken up by loud gunfire or music. I don't mind as I can roll over and go back to sleep, but it always make me jump. My daughter is the same, she can sleep through anything as long as it doesnt make her jump.
  • Fathima0712
    Fathima0712 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i can sleep pretty much anytime..but i do need the sound of fan and my usual covers to get me to sleep..other than that..no whitenoise or darkness required..!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Normally I prefer sleeping in silence but I also fall asleep with some mellow music on. One thing that I can't stand is when the lights are turned on.
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    Seriously, I could sleep on a park bench in the middle of a crowded mall...
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    Seriously, I could sleep on a park bench in the middle of a crowded mall...
    you are lucky
  • RuthRuby
    RuthRuby Posts: 31
    Options
    My fish tank makes the right amount of noise for me to feel comfortable :]