Grammar Is Dead, Long Live Grammar Nerds

Options

Replies

• losingitincollege
    losingitincollege Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nice article. I, too, am a grammar nerd. Actually, I just know how to write and speak in my native language (English). So, if that makes me a nerd, then so be it.

^^^
    This!

Wonderfully put, my friend. *nods* Wonderfully put.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Truth. As a hiring manager, if the candidate couldn't use proper grammar or spell basic words correctly on a resume or job application (one of the reasons I like handwritten applications,) that candidate doesn't even get considered.

Then those who the system has failed, will never get a job according to you.

It isn't their fault the education system in this country sucks.

Sorry, I have a friend who the system did fail him... he graduated High School, in 2003, not knowing how to read or write. And according to every single one here,, that says it is all important, he shouldn't even be allowed to do anything.
    If a school passed someone who couldn't read or write, it failed. However, a person not learning to read or write can only blame themselves for it. And yes, if a person can't be bothered to educate themselves, regardless of how effective their schooling was, then they don't deserve consideration for jobs over people who do possess those basic life skills.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Truth. As a hiring manager, if the candidate couldn't use proper grammar or spell basic words correctly on a resume or job application (one of the reasons I like handwritten applications,) that candidate doesn't even get considered.

Sorry, I have a friend who the system did fail him... he graduated High School, in 2003, not knowing how to read or write. And according to every single one here,, that says it is all important, he shouldn't even be allowed to do anything.
    If a school passed someone who couldn't read or write, it failed. However, a person not learning to read or write can only blame themselves for it. And yes, if a person can't be bothered to educate themselves, regardless of how effective their schooling was, then they don't deserve consideration for jobs over people who do possess those basic life skills.
    It is just something else someone, can hold over his head. Congrats
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

Welcome to the real world. Have a look around. We judge people in many ways. Plain and simple, even though the "system" failed them, that means they are ill equipped for the job they are apply for.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

You have a good point but . . . you should have used "whom" instead of "who" and you have an extraneous comma.
    Then those whom the system has failed will never get a job according to you.

Carry on!
  • p_e_wright
    p_e_wright Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is my question. What is the correct way to type y'all's? As in, y'all's stuff came in today. Two apostrophes just doesn't seem right somehow. :wink:

Yes, I live in, but I'm not from, the south.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Merriam-Webster spells the noun y'all (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yall).

I'd assume that the possessive is therefore y'all's.

Y'all's mileage may vary.

I just ran across this:

United States Constitution, Article I, Section 10, Clause 2: No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.

I don't know whether that's a mistake or whether usage has changed since 1787. The constitution's use of commas and capital letters does seem strange by today's standards.
  • ALittleLikeHell
    Options

We feel for your friend, we really do. I say this coming from a (Third World) country where the education system is absolutely awful, with only a 62% pass rate in Grade 12, quite a few University 1st Years having a Grade 3 reading level apparently, and all public school students in one province STILL waiting for their textbooks even though the school year started in January. Its disgusting, unfair and very sad.

However that is not always, or even most of the time, the way it plays. I went to a pretty good public school, so the system did not fail me, nor any of my classmates. I would even concede that some of my classmates, while having equal opportunity at school, may have been extremely disadvantaged at home - therefore what I'm about to say I only say about people I actually know personally, who have had almost all things being equal to my own circumstance. Some people were not 'failed by the system', they simply don't care and are too useless to bother with proper grammar/spelling. That is all. They post their stupidity all over Facebook, their bad grammar/spelling only outdone by the absolute garbage that is the content of their posts. While I am by no means grammar perfect, and I'm sure quite a few people could point out a laundry list of mistakes in my above post, I CARE and I TRY. I also at the very least know the difference between your and you're, quite and quiet, and I know there's no such word as 'wierd'.

One more thing, I also tutor a few Private school-going privileged brats (er, I mean kids), and they have wonderful opportunities and an excellent 'education system' at hand - but they are as bad as the rest of my generation. So before you get all worked up about the injustice of the World, I should introduce you to a few people...
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    226376318739349650_zJI6htle_c.jpg
  • treetop57
    Options
    oxford-comma.jpg

The classic example is of course: "I dedicate this book to my parents, Ayn Rand and God."

I always use the serial comma, but to be fair to those who don't, it can create ambiguity itself:

"I dedicate this book to my mother, Ayn Rand and God" is clearly talking about three entities, whereas "I dedicate this book to my mother, Ayn Rand, and God" could be talking about two or three. (I.e. "Ayn Rand" may be an appositive modifying "my mother.")
  • rstathis
    rstathis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Grammar nerds will LOVE Grammar Gallery -- www.grammargallery.org
  • Sewvixen
    Sewvixen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have to tell a story. A first grade student of my ran up to me on a Monday morning very excited and said, 'Guess what I did this weekend? Me and Jacob..."
    I interupted him and said, 'Jacob and I."
    He looked a me for a really long time, then he said slowly, "No... it wasn't you and Jacob, it was ME and Jacob."
    LOL!
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yay for grammar nerds! :)
  • aligatorwww
    aligatorwww Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What's with the misuse of the "elipsis"? It's three, count 'em, three dots people!!!!! Even some "so-called" grammar nerds on this post. Makes me want to...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/06/grammar-dead-long-live-grammar-nerds/53749/

I know, I know. Leave us alone you say. The people who care about grammar will be the ones who read this. The people who do not will go back to their browsing of icanhascheezburger.com.
    Admittedly, when I am on my phone, I am not as stringent in my proofreading. I tend to skip words and fail to double check what my phone has automatically inserted.
    But in a business setting, my grammar will be impeccable.

"But in a business setting, my grammar will be impeccable."

:explode:

Grammar isn't just about spelling. It's also about sentence structure. Good to read that you only give a **** when someone pays you.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    long live correct grammer!!!!!!!!!!
    ..and speling...LOL
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    226376318739349650_zJI6htle_c.jpg

I love you for this!! Making my appointment with a tattoo artist to have this forever embedded into my flesh :wink: This will make it so much easier to just flash at the grammar disabled rather than a lengthy explanation on my part. :bigsmile:
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Grammer and spelling, for all intensive purposes, are important life skills with no acceptions to the rule, even though we are here to loose alot of weight we should still take it into consternation.

Funny! "For all intensive purposes" is one of my pet peeves, along with "should of"/"could of." What do those even mean?
    :laugh: Intents and Purposes

Personally, one of my biggest pet peeves is "irregardless" It makes my eye twitch!

LOL I actually heard a story about my grandad yelling at someone for saying "irregardless". It makes me laugh every time!

My mother uses irregardless all the time, and I've always done my best to be polite when I correct her. My sister sent me this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

I don't believe much truth comes from wiki, just thought you all ought to know :)

ETA: Spelling >.<
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Sigh...I'm pretty sure we're not that far from its and it's becoming interchangeable, and apostrophes denoting plurals as well as possession...language adapts to the masses.