Why did you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I always had tragic self esteem, but really packed on the pounds during an intense, drawn out breakup after 4-year abusive relationship. That, combined with graduate school (which was time consuming and exhausting) really did in my body!
  • jazzmaniac
    jazzmaniac Posts: 11
    Options
    Parents were fat. Grandparents were fat. Closest sibling also fat. And not fitting at school was painful as a kid.
    Food was comforting. Food never rejected me. And I'm a bit of a pleasure addict.

Then I watched my grandmother and my parents and how their bodies have fallen apart, and decided I won't suffer that same fate.

I've replaced food addiction with a love of health-- healthy foods and lots of exercise.

I love 38 pounds last year and have kept it off for 7 months. I intend to lose 50-65 more pounds before this year ends.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    DEPO PROVERA.

40 LBS IN 3 MONTHS!
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't have any real story to why I gained a few extra pounds... I just pigged out on junk a bit too often! I've always been active, but as I got into my early to mid twenties my body just wasn't burning as fast as it used to as a kid :)

I never got to a point of obesity, and even now I've only got about 10 pounds of fat I'd like to lose. :)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Enjoying life a bit too much without moderation. Too much eating out, drinking, new partner, more sedentary job...
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I could say, "I got pregnant with my daughter, had some complications, etc," but...

Let's be honest.

Sure, that contributed. But in all honesty, I'm lazy and I like food.
  • kale_powered
    kale_powered Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Simply because I always ate whatever and whenever I wanted to, regardless of if I was hungry or not, and I never exercised. I was a lazy person.
  • HeatherGTaylor
    HeatherGTaylor Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It was my way of self-medicating emotional wounds.

Same. Lack of friends/love/hobbies didn't matter cause there was always food. Even today when I'm haing a rough time of it all I think of is must eat something super naughty because I deserve it, tough one to change.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    A new found love for baking.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Beer and potato chips
  • HelenCate
    HelenCate Posts: 12
    Options
    I think so many of us can relate to this!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I got lazy, quit riding horses, quit eating healthy, etc. It was much easier to eat and do whatever I wanted. I have always been in the thick category but not obese. Well, I had my son two years ago and proceeded to sit on my ever-growing derriere. That compounded by pcos, insulin resistance, and a barely functioning thyroid and I gained 20lbs almost over night. I went on ww and gained another 50. I finally decided to fire my dr. and get a new one. So here I am. I'm still lazy but I am eating healthy and losing weight.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Lots of reasons, including coming off a strong appetite suppressent (prescribed!). But mainly I got knocked down hard several times in a very short time period, and I finally just gave up. I gave up on the world and most of all on people. I said screw you guys, I'm done. And I was done. For years. Now I think I'm getting some fight back, though. I'm off the mat, anyway.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    So MFPers I was wondering if you're willing share why you gained weight?

For example was their a traumatic event in your life, an injury, just didn't care at the time, had kids, etc.

I gained weight because of low self-esteem. I have been kicked out of college 3 times for bad grades. The last time it happened, I hated myself. I gorged myself on comfort foods and sat around on the internet, and I never exercised.

Because food is yummy, and I had a desk job that brought me free catered food all day.... I don't have a real reason other than "food is yummy" and I LOVE to eat...
  • laurannjeffrey
    Options
    i give up smoking, and had a couple of kids. Was so busy looking after everyone else did not look after myself.:smile:
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Also, I can be physically full but still experience hunger... it's probably something wrong with me, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to diet when you're hungry whether you eat or not...
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    so many reasons
    1. health reasons I got fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and hypothyroidism. The meds caused me to gain weight. I quit exercising and over time I quit moving because of the pain.
    2. Due to the weight gain caused by the above I became depressed and started comfort eating
    3. I was so busy trying to take care of everyone else that I let myself go and just gave up
  • damatova80
    Options
    On Dec 12 my house burned down. Since them I have gained about 40lbs!! Too much stress and way too much eating.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe most of my weight gain come from emotional wounds of some serious sexual abuse I faced growing up.(later caused me an eating disorder) It might sounds strange but I felt safe with the weight. I am still very modest with my clothes and am learning that the fat doesn't keep me safe.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Combination of medications I have been on, hypothyroidism, and emotional eating. When I get anxious or depressed, I would self-medicate with food. Gaining all that weight back was an eye opening experience for me and losing it to this point has not been easy. I'm not at goal yet. The new habits I'm learning from watching my intake have helped immensely! I'm also learning new habits to replace eating when I get stressed/depressed.