WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Damn... lost my message somehow.

Anyway, I just got back from Tempe, AZ. I spent the week there volunteering at Ironman AZ. Then I SIGNED UP FOR NEXT YEAR!!

I'm so excited. Plus I'm getting a new bike from a friend and it shipped today. Not sure when it's suposed to arrive. I guess I better call my bike shop.

While out of town, I started out writing down all my food in a notebook I carry in my purse, but it soon got to crazy to do that. I brought my TRX straps to do workouts in the hotel. Only did one the first night. We were crashing and then getting up really early almost every day so I just didn't have time. I didn't do my PT exercises either except the first day.

But we walked a lot. Sunday, the day of the race, we walked a grand total of 16 miles! (One of us had a watch that tracks your mileage through GPS.) On Sat. we took some sweet high end bikes out for a test drive. My friends got the road bikes but I was brave and tried a triathlon bike. Man, was it wobbly! (They are notorious for their lack of stability... it's a price of their speed.) So I guess that's exercise (it was only about 2 miles of riding because we had to get the bikes back in half an hour).

I also had some chocolate, a Snickers ice cream bar, a glass of wine, another of champagne and 3 hot chocolates. But I lost 3 pounds! :laugh: Some of it is water weight. AZ is SO DRY. We all have chapped lips now. Some of it losing muscles and gaining fat due to not being able to work out so much due to my injury (or at least that's what my scale says). But maybe some of it is real. That would be nice.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Lianne- Glad to hear your recovering from your surgery. When do you get to go home?

Mary- Very happy to hear your dog is OK. That's a lucky dog.

MacMadame-Glad to hear you lost weight during your trip. It sounds like you got a lot of excercise just by volunteering.

I'm doing extra excercise everyday this long weekend whether I overeat tomorrow or not. I know I need to get more in and maybe this will get me started.

Have a nice evening,

Jeannie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Mary--

So glad to hear your dog sounds like she is going to be ok!! What an awful thing to witness, but I am glad you were there to take care of her!! My "babies" send her a big "WOOF" (translation--Feel better soon):flowerforyou:

Lianne-

I am sure you will be looking forward to being home.and I'll bet you are glad your procedure is OVER with, as well. Based on my own experience, I think you will soon be kicking up your heels rejoicing at the elimination of whatever problems were solved by your surgery. Depending on circumstances, you may be like me and wonder why you didn't do it sooner!!:laugh:

I took a tip from someone on this thread or another one and posted as much as I could for tomorrow, and decided I needed an hour on the hiking trail today, so I went at dusk and walked back on the well lit thoroughfare that parallels the trail. Got in about 3 miles, so I hope that will help a little tomorrow. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, so I didn't want to assume I could walk then.

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:

Barb
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    Had a good day calorie wise. Still need to lose 1 lb to reach my goal. Think the turkey day will probably hold me back a few days.
    Lianne95519..... glad to hear you have made it through your surgery. I am going in for my hysterectomy on Dec. 30 so stay in touch I may need some advice. Im having the surgery by robotics and they say I only need to spend one nite in hospital. What type of surgery did you have to have?
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL AND REMEMBER TO EAT SMART. Dont stuff ourselves like the turkey.
    angl (where did the smiley faces go?)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,959 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Lianne, How amazing that you have internet access in the hospital. I'm so glad to hear that you are recovering well from your surgery. It's not a great way to lose weight but every pound lost is a blessing no matter how it happens. i know your pets (and your husband) will be happy to have you home.:bigsmile:

We got up too early this morning so we're headed for bed now. it's lonely here because we boarded the dogs for two days so we wouldn't worry about them when we're gone for a long time tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    hugs:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Well, I think my bags are all packed, my lunches and snacks are all packed, breakfast is ready to go into the oven early, and I am ready to head to bed. The alarm will go off at 5am, and I am sure that I won't want to move. I am very excited about going to Texas to see my oldest daughter, though! I am not likely to be on a computer until Monday, so Happy Thanksgiving to all, and to all a good night!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    This was in our paper this morning:

May your stuffing be tasty,
    May your turkey be plump,
    May your potatoes and gravy
    Have nary a lump,
    May your yams be delicious
    And may your pies take the prize,
    May your Thanksgiving dinner
    Stay off your Thighs!!!!

Just thought I'd share

Cindy
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    The smileys are on the top right when you are typing your message. Just click add smiley and they will appear across the top of your page.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Americans. Today is just another day in paradise for us Canadians since our T day is always in October.

Enjoy yourselves and all you have to be thankful for.

Heather
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving! We have so much to be thankful for.

Remember that's nibble, nibble, nibble, not gobble, gobble, gobble!
  • jam0525
    Options
    Cindy – Thanks for sharing. That poem is great!

I got up early and have already cleaned the house and I have my second pie in the oven. I am not a big pie eater, but my hubby and kiddos are. I messed up a couple of weekends ago and cooked a turkey for Sunday dinner not realizing how close to Thanksgiving it was. We JUST finished the leftovers from it So, today we are having ham. I did get a free turkey from a store and that is in the freezer for Christmas.

I bought spumoni (which I do love) and so must do extra excercise to have the 300 calories for dessert tonight.

Happy Thanksgiving to all here in the states and a belated Happy Thanksgiving to our friends in Canada.

Jeannie
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone:flowerforyou:

Just popping in to wish all American members a very Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving:smile:

Thanks Jeannie for the belated wishes to us here in Canada that have already enjoyed our Thanksgiving in October:flowerforyou: No matter what month we celebrate this wonderful holiday, the most important aspect is the many things we have to be thankful for:heart:

Best wishes to all:flowerforyou:

Marie:heart:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hello everyone,Thanksgiving is my favorite meal of the year.
    and I am not being good today but will make up for it in exercise.
    :flowerforyou:
    May your stuffing be tasty :smokin:
    May your turkey be plump, :smile:
    May your potatoes and gravy
    Have never a lump. :wink:
    May your yams be delicious:smooched:
    And your pies take the prize, :flowerforyou:
    And may your Thanksgiving dinner
    Stay off your thighs! :laugh:
    Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
    Love and prayers for all of those with family and health issues. And for our service family I pray for Peace and safety.
    Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Rosemary,

You and Cindy must subscribe to the same newspaper!!!!:laugh: :laugh: But it is a cute poem all the same.

On another thread, where they were discussing "to log or not to log" today's dinner, another poster (arewethereyet) wrote:

"No Logging
    No Jogging
    Food eating
    Egg Nogging!!"

Cute, but I already have my food logged for today, so I could see if I had any "wiggle room" or if I need to get another walk in today, despite the rain.

Happy day to all !!:flowerforyou:

Barb
  • jam0525
    Options
    Hello everone,

I am stuffed and only 200 calories over for the day. I will do extra excercise time all this weekend to make up for it and stay on track.

How's everyone one else doing?

:smile:

Jeannie
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Hope you all had a fantastic American Thanksgiving Day!!! I am thankful for all of you.

I had my first day back at work for 1/2 day after the flu :sick: . Have not kept track of calories this last week. But things are looking up and getting better from here on! :bigsmile:

Renny
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    First time I have had to post all day. Got up early and went to gym after putting Turkey in the oven. When I got home had to go get Kenneth from work. Went to daughters new house. (they closed yesterday) for Thanksgiving dinner. Had a great time with family and grandchildren. After lunch the men pulled up carpet so they can put down new floors. We then left for our trip to Branson. We got here to Ruston, LA about 9 pm. Checked into motel and went upstairs cause girls were sleeping. I went back down to get some stuff. We had so much Kenneth would never have been able to find anything. Got back to room and he went to gym for quick workout. I heard a car alarm which made me think of my keys and started searching. Could not find them. Called him on cell and asked him to make sure car was still there. He went and found my keys sitting on the sidewalk outside of hotel. How blessed I feel. What a disaster that could have been. I did not do too badly on my eating. Try to post tomorrow.
    vicki M
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I am thankful for each and everyone of you. :flowerforyou:

Had a lovely day, dinner a home with family, small group this year, but we had a wonderful time. I did pretty well on my calories.
    Had lots of veggies, but sampled two desserts. I hope you all had a day blessed with family and friends, and a long list of things to give thanks for.

Good Night All, Alice
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,959 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday morning, We don't shop for Christmas. We just send checks to our kidsl:laugh: so we won't be in the stores today. We had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner
    we figured out that this is the first time in our 20 year marriage that we've gone to someone else's house for Thanksgiving. It was fun. I followed my own suggestion to pay more attention to the people than to the food and it made the day even better. I spent time talking to everyone at the event (I think there were 16 people plus the 5 month old baby). One guest was the 97 year old grandma/aunt who kept me occupied with stories about all the family members. Another guest was a professional Santa. I ate more than usual and went over my calories but I said no to pecan pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies bigsmile My big splurges were a fabulous cranberry sauce made with oranges and walnuts, stuffing, and a ton of turkey. I skipped the mashed potatoes and gravy. We drank Perrier and skipped the sparkling cider. Dinner started with everyone sharing what they were thankful for and that gave us a great opportunity to get to know the family even better. They've already invited us to come back next year.

Jake signed up his best friend as an associate in our business. He was blown away at how much weight we'd lost and wanted to know how we did it. By the end of the evening he was inclined to order the products and become an associate. When we got home at 10PM Jake was at the computer getting his friend signed up so I turned on my recording of the Macy's parade and walked and jogged to the music for 40 minutes before going to bed.

This morning I read "Nobody ever got obese from a single meal. It's the other 364 days you need to pay attention to" So today is one of those days and I have a light eating/heavy exercising day planned.:bigsmile:

We're taking the day of and relaxing......I'll go to line dance this morning and then we'll have the afternoon and evening together with no phone calls or business related work.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, what a scary story about your keys. I'm so glad it had a happy ending.
    hugs:heart: Barbie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello Everyone, or should I say "Gobble Gobble" which we all did to a certain degree yesterday.:laugh:

Anyway, I couldn't resist getting weighed today and I am happy to report " NO GAIN":drinker: :drinker: I had a great dinner with a friend and my parents at her house. We had pumpkin pie AND a chocolate cake with ice cream, in honor of my dad's 83rd birthday. I ate my fill, BUT, I strategically snacked on veggies during the meal prep so it didn't take as much to make me "full."

Today the rain is gone and the sun is out, so eventually, I will have to stop letting three sleeping little doggies lie and get out for a walk with them and later just me. It rained cats and dogs yesterday from about 10am on, so I didn't do my exercise walk, just 40 minutes in the morning with the doggies.

After reading other posts, sounds like everyone had a pretty good time of it, and avoided disaster. Thank goodness you noticed your keys were missing, Vicki!!! For once a car alarm going off was a positive instead of an annoying intrusion. They always seem to go off around here about 3 in the morning and then I can't go back to sleep!!:grumble: :laugh:

Barbie, your day sounded like it worked out well. Your coping strategy was successful and you had a good day, so what more can we ask for, right?:flowerforyou:

Between dinner and dessert, I got to listen to my parents reminisce about the travels they made in France and Great Britain on canal boats, a very interesting way to travel, and perfect for getting off the beaten tourist path. In one instance while in France, they were waiting to go through a navigational lock, and those in another canal boat cut in ahead of them and, thus, arrived at the moorage first. There was no point in starting a ruckus, but my dad was very annoyed. The other people took bicycles off their boat and started riding to a nearby town, ahead of my parents and the couple they were travelling with.

As they walked along the path, the female half of their traveling companions suddenly stopped and picked up a piece of paper money. :noway: As they continued to walk, they found more and more, about the equivalent of $30 US at that time,:noway: in the form of French currency. :drinker: There was no way to know for sure who it belonged to, but my mom said they took great pleasure in assuming it belonged to the "ugly Americans" that had cut in front of them in line!!!:laugh: :laugh:

My mom also told a story I hadn't heard in years about her adventure right after the end of WWII, when she got out of the Royal Canadian Air Force and she and another women hitch hiked from Vancouver BC to California--something you definitely would NOT consider doing nowadays!!

It was a good day.

I have no reason to get up in the middle of the night to shop today, so it was very amusing to see a news story that a local outlet mall about 40 miles south of me in Oregon opened up at 10 pm Thanksgiving night, and will be open continuously til 9p tonight (Friday). They actually had a traffic jam on the I-5 because of all the people waiting to get into their parking lots!!! Great for the merchants, but a bummer for anyone travelling between Salem and Portland trying to get home after too much turkey!!:laugh:

Have a good day.

Barb
  • laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I've haven't posted for a few days. Life has been very chaotic lately.
    Thanksgiving went well. We were invited to my cousins' house. They are both weight-conscious, so they had lots of vegetables, as well as turkey and salmon. They had some desserts, but I brought an apple cake that has many fewer calories than pie. We had lots of laughs and good times.

My knee (tendinitis flare-up) is feeling better, so today I exercised for the first time in a week.

Congratulations to all of you who kept to your plans over Thanksgiving. Let's support each other through the temptations of the holiday season.