First time Jogger at 270 lbs

Options

Replies

• islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    1. Couch to 5k. Find the program here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

2. Best shoes in my opinion are the Brooks Ghost series. The newest edition is the Ghost 4, but I like the 3s best. I have both. But I would advise going to Fleet Feet or any good running specialty store and let them fit you.

Best of luck! I run, and I love it a little more every day. Even the bad days. :flowerforyou:

Hey I also run in the Brooks Ghost ... I recently switched from Saucony shoes because of my shin splints and they went away with the Ghosts!

Personally I love my Brooks Adrenaline
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When it comes to motivation....cheat yourself....well, kind of...

I found that my running/jogging was way more enjoyable and I did more when I ran outdoors - and a clear factor in that is that you are 'forced' to cover a certain distance in order to get back to your start point. To begin with I would run to a local park and do laps there, increasing the distance over time, and then run home - it's about 1km between my house and the park. But then I started running along the riverbank which is far more interesting in terms of variety of scenery, but also has the challenge that once I start my run along the river I need to go at least as far as the next bridge if I am going to be able to cross it and get home. I now have a 10k route which crosses back at one bridge and a 15k route which takes the next bridge.

You may be surprised how quickly your cardiovascular system adapts to regular running - I came back to it in January after a gap of bingeing and found I was struggling to keep jogging for 5k and it was taking me around 45mins....I'm now doing 10k in close to 45mins.

I recently started doing Bikram yoga and would recommend it as a great way to keep your muscles supple and the aches away. My experience at the local studio has been that you are equally welcomed regardless of fitness level or size...everyone gets out of it what they put in and no-one is judging.

Good luck!

I second the suggestion to run outside. I think about half the benefits I derive from running come from spending the time outside. Vitamin D FTW. I know I'll eventually have to move to the treadmill when winter comes in earnest, but I try not to think about that.

One thing I did have to get over to run outside was the embarrassment of being all sweaty and out of breath and red in the face in public, but I learned that I care way more about that than anyone else does.
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started running at 200lbs to lose weight. It was tough and I did a 'learn to run' program from weight watchers. 3.5 years later I am down 47 lbs and can run a 10min mile for 5 - 6 miles or longer if I want. Definitely do it if you want to. The runner's high and weight loss has been so worth it... I'm trying for a 1/2 marathon this fall!
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Bump - my goal is to start running at 260. Hopefully, I can see that in a few weeks!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting running! I am firmly convinced that nobody is too big to start -- just take it nice and slow.

Maybe not too big...but what about too old? I have recently started doing a little jogging behind my house. I have worked it up to 30 minutes of jogging, although I'm sure that my speed leaves a lot to be desired. When I went to a store to get fitted for real running shoes (I'm currently using New Balance walking shoes) I told them that I wanted to start jogging out on the street but had been too embarassed to do that up until then. I was basically told that I was too old to start learning how to jog or run. I was quite taken aback because that thought never entered my mind before.

What do you think...am I too old...I am 64.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I ran a mile straight for the first time in my life in November 2010. I weighed 289 pounds, and ran it on the treadmill at 4.2 mph. I thought I was going to die.

Today I weigh 123 pounds and ran 6 miles in 49:53.

Just do it!!
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    MBK - Dont even wait until you get to 260 - do it now, YOU CAN DO IT if I can :)

And Carole - I dont think you are ever too old to get into shape! You ever watch the Biggest loser?! They have older women getting really fit on there all the time, and man Jillian Michaels PUSHES them to the limit :)

And thank you everyone!

Here is another question..... LOL is doing ab work outs (crunches & sit ups) pointless before you have lost all the weight, and are at my size? Or should I start now? What are the benefits?
  • kg2run
    kg2run Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm working on becoming a jogger and I was around the same weight when I started.

My only advice is listen to your body. I've tried multiple times in the past and like you had my feet cramping up and hurting and I convinced myself that I just needed to push through the pain. Eventually I got to the point where I had to stop or risk serious injury.

This time, I'm paying more attention to my body. I started off walking and have been gradually adding more and more jogging. I'm moving at a slower pace than I'd like to, but I'm making slow and steady progress. I can run further than when I started and my jogging intervals are slowly increasing. Sure it's taking me longer than I like, but usually I would have quit by now because I'd have pushed myself too hard and have been in too much pain. Yes, my feet still do ache at times, but it's nothing that stops me like it has before. Yes I feel like I could run further, longer, faster than I do, but my body hurts too much if I do. Someday my body will catch up to my lungs...
  • FelicityEliza36
    Options
    Thank you for the advice above ^ I think I will take it slow and steady until I ( or my body ) is used to it.

I also forgot to mention that I have cystic fibrosis, which normally comes with horrible respiratory problems but I have been blessed enough to have very strong lungs :) I only have digestive issues right now.
  • veggiewoman
    Options
    Slow and steady will be my mantra too. I was told that if I do aerobic exercise only, my results will not be optimal. Does anyone agree? Why or why not?
  • LaurieLynnMiller
    Options
    I don't think of myself as a "jogger" really. But, I do jog on the treadmill (albeit slowly).
    I started at 278 lbs, doing exactly what you are doing. I would jog till I thought I was going to die, then walk until I regained my breath and jog again. I pushed myself every day to do more jogging than walking. That's what you have to do to build up your endurance. I'm at 205 now and I can jog for 40+ minutes without feeling like I'm going to die ; )
    Keep it up! You'll get to the point where you don't have to stop to walk.
  • LaurieLynnMiller
    Options
    That is awesome and very inspiring! Thanks for sharing! ; ) I started my weight loss journey with 140+ lbs to louse. I'm halfway to my goal now! Great to hear your story!
  • FelicityEliza36
    Options
    I don't think of myself as a "jogger" really. But, I do jog on the treadmill (albeit slowly).
    I started at 278 lbs, doing exactly what you are doing. I would jog till I thought I was going to die, then walk until I regained my breath and jog again. I pushed myself every day to do more jogging than walking. That's what you have to do to build up your endurance. I'm at 205 now and I can jog for 40+ minutes without feeling like I'm going to die ; )
    Keep it up! You'll get to the point where you don't have to stop to walk.

Woohoo! Thank you. I am going to keep on going... and congrats on your weightloss thats awesome to be so lose to your goal.
  • tortiz80
    tortiz80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I kept this document that another MFPer posted. I take no credit for it but I wanted to keep it on hand for myself!

PROGRAMME

Week 1: ONLY WALK

Week 2: Walk 4 minutes, jog/run 1 minute (W4;R1). In that order. Repeat for total duration of exercise. Stay with this pattern for at least 2 weeks, or as many weeks until is starts feeling easiER (not easy).

Next stage (maybe week 4, maybe later): walk 3 minutes, run 2 (W3;R2). This is the hardest jump to make, as you're effectively doubling your running time. Don't lose heart at this point. As above, do this stage for at least 2 weeks, but more than likely, more than 2 weeks.

Next stage: W2, R3 - now you're running more than walking, but by this point your body has been conditioned for running and your fitness will be much improved, so while daunting on paper, it's probably easier than W3, R2. As above, stay in this pattern for at least 2 weeks, probably more, until it feels noticeably easiER (not easy).

Penultimate stage: W1, R4 - you should be quite fit by this stage, at least relative to where you started. You need to do this, as with all stages, for at least 2 weeks, but likely much longer. You'll know you're ready to move on to just running when the 1 minute of walking is actually beginning to annoy you, and it feels more like a break in your rhythm than a relief. This will come at a different time for every person. It's a leap of faith, and only you'll know when it's time to ditch the walking entirely.

TIPS
    - moving onto the next stage is not only about your fitness, but your body conditioning. While your lungs and heart may be ready to move on, your joints and muscles may not be, and moving on too soon increases your risk of injury;

- to help your joints and shins in the early stages (shin splints are almost guaranteed in the early stages), fill some polystyrene cups with water and freeze them. Once frozen, peel away the polystyrene and ice your joints, shins and muscles with them every day after your workout.

- breathe through your mouth and nose when running

- to minimise lower back problems, keep your core engaged while running / walking

- keep your shoulders down and your hands loose. Keep your head down looking in front of you about 10 - 15 metres
    - vary your running route

- get out on the roads - a treadmill is great cardio, but it is not actually running. If you view someone on the treadmill in slow motion, the action is closer to jumping (i.e. jumping to keep from falling off) than true running.

- until you can comfortably run for an hour (comfortably means the ability to talk to someone while doing it), SPEED AND DISTANCE ARE IRRELEVANT. Do not worry about running faster or further. Focus on the time. If your run is a mere shuffle or slow jog, it doesn't matter, as long as you're able to do it for an hour. There is plenty of time later for worrying about speed.

- incorporate cross training to work other muscle groups (e.g. swimming) or strength training. Squats and lunges will do your hamstrings and quads a world of good and minimise the incidence of injury.

Good luck
    Thank you so much for this brilliant advice . Printed and in my gym bag
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Couch 25k!!! It builds your endurance and its a great program to get you 5k ready in as little as 2 months. I'm on week 2.

And if you have a smartphone, you can get a C25k app that will tell you when to walk then run then walk then run then... you get it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5k!!!!!!! Don't worry about going too fast. Go at your pace.
    don't bother with stretching. just do the warm up.

Make sure you drink enough.

Get rest days.

Runners get to have chocolate milk after your run!!! its like the best thing for you. I like silk dark chocolate almond milk.

Eventually you are going to want a pair of good shoes. Go to a running store. Go to a running store! Your going to spend about $100 on them.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I started the C25k at your exact weight. This week I am on the final week - week 9. I had to repeat each week twice - otherwise would have been too hard. I jogged along the ocean for 30 minutes yesterday ! I shock my own self ! I am only going about
    16 minute mile speed so after this week will just continue 3 times a week till I get up to 10 minute mile (if possible.)

I have not hurt anything. It got pretty hard in the last few weeks, but not too hard. I usually do it in the cool of the evening, but sometimes in the warm day. I've been losing 1 pd a week since Feb.
  • fire_fae_unwritten
    fire_fae_unwritten Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When your looking for shoes, look for cross trainers and not specifically running shoes. I know it sounds weird however I find that they cramp your feet and will begin to give you more issues than necessary. I've got Reebok zig zagz. They are super comfy.

A little bit of a side note, make sure you eat something before you run. nothing heavy but maybe a banana or half a power/protein bar. If you run on an empty stomach it will give you cramps, make you dizzy, and your body will start to eat your muscles (which you need to burn fat). You should have something small and preferably with protein before and after you work out. Your body will be looking for energy to replace what you have used and if you do not eat your body will start to eat your muscles for the glucose.

And as others have said switch between walking and running you will notice that your running span will last longer.

Much luck with everything and don't ever be discouraged. =)
  • lbcbeachbum77
    lbcbeachbum77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did not take the time to read all the replies, so if I repeat an earlier sentiment please forgive me.

I like you have ALWAYS wanted to be a jogger. I, at the weight of 266 signed up for a 5K and started the couch to 5K program. It was too much. I like you felt the drive to go go go and pushed my body too hard. I ended up with TERRIBLE shin splints, pain in my knees and was literally out of commission for months to recover. Shin splints especially are an injury you do not want.

Please, listen to your body, and never when exercising should you feel true pain. Perfectly ok to feel a good burn, out of breath, aches and soreness, but if you feel pain, please, stop. The worst thing you can do is start out gun ho and over strain your body.

Many interval programs are available, but if you follow these to the letter and do not listen to your body, it could be a disaster. What these training programs lack is the ability to account for prior activity level, age, weight, etc... Just imagine a 120 lb 18 year old vs a 250 lb 40 year old doing the same training... makes sense to expect that perhaps the older, heavier person may have different needs.

As for me... I am now consistently jogging and gradually increasing my distance. What I did different this time around was start out purely walking for a couple of months... flat, hills, you name it. I went often and gradually increased the difficulty of hills, my pace, and also increased the distance. Not only did I lose weight, but I conditioned and strengthened the muscles, ligaments, tendons and joints in preparation for jogging. When I finally started jogging, if ANYTHING was painful I would switch and walk, at first, it was just a few steps, gradually it got to be more and more. Now, it is my cardiac endurance that I am mostly working on and when I go... I have NO pain. Lots of good burn, but not pain.

I think most of us love to just jump in to things, but my experience with jogging proved to me at least, that just like with losing weight, getting to the goal is a process that takes time.

Also, another important thing... go to a local athletic store, usually a smaller non-big box type and have your gait/step analyzed. It is a free service at most places, many people pronate, or supinate which can contribute to injury. Make sure that you get a really good pair of running shoes that are made for your specific type of stride. It will cost some $$ up front but will pay off big in the long run.

Lastly, if possible, start out on a track, dirt, or other type of "soft" surface. Put some miles in off the treadmill and if possible avoid concrete/pavement when just beginning as it is much harder on your joints.

Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

~m
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!!! You are on the right track and you will get stronger and better if you keep it up. Don't go buck wild and try to increase miles right away. Keep doing what your doing for a good three weeks, then at on about another 1/2 a mile or 5 minutes, whatever you like. Give your legs time to strengthen up to reduce the possibility of too much too soon problems like shin splints!

As far as stretching goes, you can stretch before, just do a light jog before to warm the muscles and do them right. Youtube stretching for running. I have stretched before and after for long, long time and it is the reason that I have not had issues with pulls and tears, and I still have flexibility and agility at 40. The stretching was guided though by knowledgeable coaches and trainers, so I learned to do it safely. You don't HAVE to do it before. I know people who don't and have been fine.

If you can, hit up a sport shop that will giving you a fitting for your running shoes. If you don't have one of those stores, I don't here, when you put the shoes on the in store, jog up and down the shopping aisle to get a feel.

You're off to a great start just by getting going. Keep it up! It's wonderful for your overall health.