What is the craziest thing you believed to be true as a kid?

Options

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    That it took 7 years to digest gum if I swallowed it.

I know some adults who still swear this is true.
    that freckles meant you were dying :(

I would've died VERY young! :laugh:
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I thought that when people were talking about televisions and they say they didnt invent color until 1960whatever, that the whole world was in black and white, not just the tv picture :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it was believing that a fat man was going to come down our chimney and deliver gifts once a year. Or was it the one about the little winged fairly lady with a tooth fetish? Or was it the one about some magical rabbit leaving baskets of goodies in the living room and laying colored eggs all over the lawn?

I can't believe I actually believed any of it. It's a wonder I wasn't an atheist by the age of 11, given that the source for these crazy delusions were also the source of my religious training.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    1. That I was dropped from the space Needle into my mothers stomach
    2. My real mother was either Princess Di or Oprah, and they would show up in limo any day

sadly., none of this is a joke.
  • cochico
    cochico Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I believed absolutely everything I was told. I guess the craziest thing I believed was that no one had reasons to lie. ever.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I thought because my name was Angel, that I could fly but just hadn't figured out how. I jumped off EVERYTHING in and around our home. I do not know how I never got hurt. I tried standing up in the swing while swinging real high and jumping out of the swing. I tried over and over untilI I did a belly flop and ate dirt. I was 32. I gave up.:cry:
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Well...... I used to watch Sally Fields in "The Flying Nun" Show on TV..... So she said.... Haaa ... She weighed 90-something lbs, & had her Nun Hat.... So I weighed about 90-something pounds at the time... and I made myself a Hat that looked like hers, and waited for the wind to be just right.... So I had the wind, the home-made Nun Hat, I weighed 90-something, and I jumped off the brick in front of our house... Did I fly? Nooooooooo. But I thought I could, if everything was just like her... How dissapointing... :ohwell:
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was told that pregnancy occurred when husbands and wives "slept together." So, I though the marriage ceremony was a magic spell that allowed the couple to make babies by sleeping side by side.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My mum told me that humans could fly so I'd spend hours jumping off the edge of the sofa flapping my arms like a retard in hopes that one day I would sore off into the sky... or ceiling.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I thought if I walked barefoot on gravel, I would build up my tolerance to pain, and childbirth would be easier for me. Boy, was I wrong!
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    That if you're in the tub while it's draining it's extremely possible for you to get sucked down the drain.
  • MehiraDeOro
    MehiraDeOro Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lots of salt would cool my food down faster than blowing on it--this is something that all of my siblings and I thought was true O_o

No idea why or even where this idea came from???
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    my mom and dad told us that Famous Amos cookies contained alcohol and were therefore only known as "adult" cookies.... apparently this was a tactic they used to keep us from eating "their" cookies. It worked, too. And, oddly enough, I believed it up until I was an adult. Yea, wow...

When my kids were little and I wanted to enjoy a rum and Diet Coke without them pestering for sips, I would put it in a coffee cup and tell them it was "fire water" and very hot.:laugh:
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    I used to think my dad's car was really clever because, wherever we wanted to go, it would take us there without us even telling it.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I thought you could get pregnant from taking a bath, I would always hear people say "it's in the water" so I just assumed that water could make you pregnant, I also figured I wouldn't know until a baby actually popped out, so everytime my tummy hurt, I was sure I was about to have a baby, lol
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My third grade teacher told me that if I chewed my nails, it would cause worms to grow in my stomach. To this day, I can't bite my nails..

If you bite your nails, worms CAN grow in ur stomach, pinworms lay eggs in the dirt, and if u have dirt under ur nails, there is a chance u can swallow the eggs and worms will live in ur colon. It happens
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk came from brown cows...
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    if you flush the toilet with pee in it and the shower is on pee will come out of the shower head.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    well, i knew fairy's were fake, but had some crackpot theory that tissues mixed with teeth overnight under a pillow, turned into money. amongst other things. kids are crazy. lol.

also that the bottom of the escalator would shred me. i was terrified of it.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I believed all women could have a baby if they wanted one hard enough, and that the doctor had to cut a slit by your hip to pull it out... hahaha.