What is the craziest thing you believed to be true as a kid?

Options

Replies

• cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I overheard part of an adult conversation and drew a faulty conclusion, which I believed for several years when I was really small:

I thought that smoke from a house fire was good for your furniture.
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I believed my stuffed animals protected me when I slepted. :ohwell:

AWWWWWWWWWW... so did I! Actually I still think they do... :embarassed:
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    As a very young girl my father used to tell me to eat my food and it would make me grow hair on my chest. Being little and wanting to be like him...it made me eat my food :)
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I swallowed a watermelon seed once and swore one was growing inside my stomach because every time I ate my belly got soooo big. I thought the food I ate was feeding the seed...And my mother did try to tell me any different. :noway: :noway:
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I believed that when it would thunder, God was bowling

that the Reunion Tower in Dallas was God's microphone

that there really was treasure at the end of a rainbow

that fireflies always had to charge their batteries if they wanted to travel
  • kitchensync
    kitchensync Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My Dad told me that watermelon plants would start growing out of my ears if I ate the seeds.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    After accidentally watching an episode of "Twilight Zone" I was positive my dolls were really alive and waiting for me to fall asleep so they could kill me.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I thought we (people) were toys that giants were playing with, like I was playing with my barbie.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    well, i knew fairy's were fake, but had some crackpot theory that tissues mixed with teeth overnight under a pillow, turned into money. amongst other things. kids are crazy. lol.

also that the bottom of the escalator would shred me. i was terrified of it.
    Ummm. Are you saying that it wont?
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Ho, Ho, Ho! I believed that the Jolly Green Giant from the Green Giant vegetable commercials was real. Even used to have nightmares where he was coming to get me :(
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I believed all my Barbies came alive in the basement & lived their own lives. I remember trying to sneak quietly down the stairs to catch them moving around!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    well, i knew fairy's were fake, but had some crackpot theory that tissues mixed with teeth overnight under a pillow, turned into money. amongst other things. kids are crazy. lol.

also that the bottom of the escalator would shred me. i was terrified of it.
    Ummm. Are you saying that it wont?

According to Rescue 911 (many moons ago) it's possible, if your shoelace gets stuck in it.
  • ahigg396
    ahigg396 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My mom used to tell me that if I swallowed watermelon seeds that a watermelon would grow in my stomach. Good tactic!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    When my son was about 3 he came to me and said he knew where babies came from. I said "OH? where do babies come from" And he said "The dada gives the mama a whole bunch of sunflower seeds to eat then it plants a baby in mama's tummy!"

I have NO IDEA where he got that!! But sunflower seeds are one of my favorite snacks so maybe it was wishful thinking on his part!
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I thought that when a car with loud music drove by at night that there was a parade going on outside. I was so mad my mom would put me to bed and the grown ups got to go to a parade!
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    That if I stuck my foot out of the side of my bed a monster would drag me under it and turn me into a monster.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    That if I stuck my foot out of the side of my bed a monster would drag me under it and turn me into a monster.

^^^ Thats's True! :laugh:
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I believed my parents were just talking when they were in the bedroom together, and that if I got up in the middle of the night, as long as I drank the water BEFORE I peed, I'd go ahead and pee it out too and it would be longer before I'd have to go to the bathroom again. I had that logic all worked out in my head and didn't learn for a long time that I was basically sabotaging myself because it probably made me need to go sooner! lol
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Wow! I thought the same thing!
  • emhill21
    emhill21 Posts: 130
    Options
    I used to think eggs were dairy, since they were with the milk and cheese and whatnot :laugh:

Eggs are listed under "dairy" on my grocery receipt and it drives me nuts every time I see it!

I used to think that my cat would turn into a tiger and chase me when I was home alone