Is Reading a Woman Thing?

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
Do men read books?

I do not have a single male friend that I know of that reads books. Oh, maybe a sports book on baseball history or something, but I have never seen one of my male friends read before. I read, but I hide it because I'm embarrassed because it seems like something women do. Also, it does appear that a lot of books are geared more for women than men. I have great difficulty finding books to read. I like rock & roll history, and other weird stuff. I don't like fiction much, unless it's really funny, or really scary. But, mostly I just read weird stuff, philosophy, other worldly material, diet and exercise, etc.

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I love me some books. Always have, always will.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    don't knock the fiction . . .

it's always been my belief that a lot of men are one good erotic romance novel away from being the cat's meow . . . but that's just me.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I read.
    I read a lot.
    I love to read.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i'm reading Steve-O's autobiography- From *kitten*. haha

Steve-O-book-cover.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My father read books. My uncles read books. My ex-boyfriends read books. My grandfather read books when he still knew he was alive.

And I majored in English lit and at least half of the people in my classes and nearly all my professors were men.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I read at least one book a week, fiction and history mostly.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman but I'll chime in. Most of the guys in my group read for fun. What is suprising is that only 1 guy in the group actually cares about sports. The rest have no desire to watch a game. Perhaps you just need to expand your group a bit to include different types of people. If you are interested there is a group on MFP called "when I'm not on MFP, I'm reading" They could probably give you some advice on new books to check out.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I enjoy reading reference materials. For fiction, however, I turn to movies.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    guys that read are sexy. i'm naturally drawn to smarter/nerdy types though. i don't think i'd like a guy that doesn't read.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    i'm reading Steve-O's autobiography- From *kitten*. haha

Steve-O-book-cover.jpg

Oh, I gotta get that. He's a nut job.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    Gotta love a man who reads.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    men read books.

what men don't seem to do is organize a "book club" for a bunch of other people to come over and talk about the book they read (actually, my mother is in a book club and when she and her friends meet, i'm not sure the book is discussed at all).
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I know two men that read more than the sports section of the newspaper...lol These two men must be anomalies as they actually read books. Real books with words and stuff....

I know...shocking! LOL
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My BF reads...when its not baseball season! He does prefer non-fiction (in his mind if you are to read fiction might as well turn on the TV, same thing!) He also has been getting into memoirs and funny things like that. He just Living the Bible Literally by AJ Jacobs and loved it. He also loves books about history and conspiracy with in history. I tried to get him to read Hunger Games with me and he was like, let me know when you see the movies!!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    O_o
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I have read a lot of books of various genres: fantasy, historical fiction, realistic fiction, etc... To this day, my favorite novel is still Wuthering Heights :)
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm a voracious reader. Have always been. My reading encompasses almost all genres from Scifi, fiction, science to history etc. I have a Kindle because carrying the books around isn't practical anymore. I do however, still purchase a few here and there that I want hard copy of.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    That makes me sad! Most (if not all) of my male friends are avid readers! My husband loves to read as well; he's the kind of person that gets through War and Peace on a 6hr plane ride. Men that read are sexy and interesting!
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    "Butterfly in the sky!!!"
  • eesmetana
    eesmetana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Huge reader here - depending on life, somewhere between 50 to 100 books a year, mostly fiction (litereary, speculative, etc.). That said, I also teach writing/literature (and occasionally write fiction and sometimes nonfiction for differently places).