Is Reading a Woman Thing?

Options

Replies

• zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I read a lot. I also write. Does that make me a woman?
  • tehdux0r
    tehdux0r Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have 6 bookshelves overflowing, and my reading queue is 13 and climbing. Then again, I'm also a writer.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    My husband loves to read. He used to read on the pooper when I first met him... then we had kids and got married, and let's face it... who has time to read on the pooper when you have kids? He reads before bed now, and usually conks out a few pages in.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I'm a woman and I have just starting reading "books"....I'm 42! I think reading is so relaxing and I totally lose myself in them. I wish I would have done this years ago!!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My 17 yo son reads. I am a huge reader. My ex, however does not read. I should have seen the sign in that! :laugh: Actually, I met him post grad school and I didn't read for fun for several years after so I didn't notice. :embarassed:

I will not make the same mistake again...I will only date/see/get involved with guys who read.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I know of a few men who read. I think it's very sexy.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I know several men that read with a wide variety of preferences. Some for entertainment (murder mysteries, classic fiction), some will pick up whatever's popular like the Hunger Games series and others just read for education (history, how to, etc).

There are several things people do that they should keep private but reading's not one of them IMHO.

ETA: I also have a few female friends who wouldn't read a book unless they had to for a class or to learn something specific.
  • pastorhudson
    pastorhudson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love to read and am in a book club. I read about a book a week mostly non fiction. Checkout http://goodreads.com/pastorhudson friend me up!
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I have several male friends that read, but I definitely know more females who enjoy it. My dad loves to read and my father-in-law reads a book every day or two. I also have male friends that read. Plus there are plenty of male writers out there, so they must be reading something as well. :) Don't be ashamed to read! I love it.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I love to read. Always have. My hubby is proud that he has never read an entire book in his life. I find that kinda sad. The idea of him curled up enjoying a good read actually turns my crank. If he ever actually did it I think I'd jump him!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Absolutly not. I hate to read books.... I start them and most of the time don't finish them. I have a nook and I use it to play games and sometimes read a magazine.
    My husband reads lots of books. Our house is filled with books he has read.
  • Grimlock69
    Grimlock69 Posts: 197
    Options
    I read all the time.
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    "Butterfly in the sky!!!"

:laugh:
  • Madmoosebaits
    Options
    I read a lot. I have a Kindle 3G and a Kindle Fire to help my addiction.
    I read fantasy, sci fi, paranormal romance (yes...really) and anything else that catches my eye.
    I also write paranormal romance, fantasy and a little bit of sci-fi.
    Geekdom rules.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And I forgot to add that my ex? boyfriend -- the guy who lives with me currently, anyway -- plays golf every week and one of his golf buddies reads on his phone (one that acts as a Kindle) between shots and we were at a cookout at his house in April and spent about an hour talking about books with him and one of the other men there.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Currently reading, "A life God Rewards", by Bruce Wilkinson with David Kopp. I quite enjoy reading, though I think I might need to go see the eye doctor soon... :(
  • mama2beau
    mama2beau Posts: 21
    Options
    Reading is a bi-gender pasttime....for fiction try stephen king...usually can't go wrong with his novels! good luck and keep reading ;-)
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend reads. He likes war history and science fiction mostly but he always has a book going.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Even guys. That said, I wouldn't be attracted to a guy who didn't read. I'm not into sports so a guy who only tead the sports pages would be weird to me.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I have read thousands of books. Quite literally. And the ones I've liked I've read repeatedly. I am an addictive reader. If it has print on it, I'll read it. Anything. Warning labels for birth control, my son's happy meal box, doesn't matter. My son is seven and has already read hundreds of books.

My wife on the other hand barely reads. It irritates me when she starts a series because I want to read it, but have to wait until she finishes the series. Once she was reading a series and I read the first, second, third, and fourth book while she was meandering through the fifth one. And then I read the fifth book while she was reading it too. That one pissed her off. Now she hides her books from me.

I only have 16 books in the "to read" stack. Might be time to hit B&N again.