Cardio makes you fat: "Women: Running into Trouble"

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Alan Aragon and Lyle McDonald both say that cardio is pretty much pointless for normal weight loss scenarios, and they are two of the most knowledgeable fitness experts on the planet. You can accomplish the exact same thing with a larger caloric deficit, and get the same cardiovascular benefits from metabolic weight training, along with superior preservation of lean body mass.

If you want to do cardio for endurance or sport-specific training, then awesome.
    If you wan to do LISS in conjunction with a strength training regiment for weight loss, then props to you.
    If you want to use cardio as your primary exercise for weight loss, then enjoy losing tons of lean body mass and lowering your metabolism. (I'm sure that one will get me flamed, but hey, the truth hurts sometimes)

I read McDonald say something like that recently. He was talking about "untrained" people, though. In other words, if you're totally sedentary and you start running you can't go very far or very fast and you won't burn many calories. Once you've been running for a while, though, you can easily burn 1000 calories during a run. What would be better for your metabolism, eating 1600 calories or eating 2600 and running? If you're creating a deficit through diet, you're eating a lot less food than if you're creating the same deficit through exercise. Of course, if I go burn those 1000 calories and then come home and eat a large pizza I won't be losing weight. I do think resistance training is important for retaining lean mass (and so is protein, right?), but I'm not sure why you think that weight training can give you the same benefit as cardio. I lifted for years with little to no cardio and saw no improvement in my resting heart rate (an indicator of cardiovascular fitness). Running for one summer got it down into the low 40s (from the 90s).

If you read more closely, no one said that strength training gives you the "same benefit" as cardio. What has been stated is that there is cardio benefit from strength training that will show cardio fitness improvement compared to the sedentary or untrained. For cardio fitness as an objective, cardio exercise is best. That is not being disputed by anyone as far as I can tell. As you've pointed out, each type of exercise has a fitness and health benefit. They are comlimentary to in opposition to each other.
  • MsBrdlv
    MsBrdlv Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Whatever. I'm still doing Couch to 5K because it makes me feel good.

^^^This!! I feel so much better (and have more energy) on the days I run. And I've already lost inches from my waist and hips from the program and watching what I eat.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Jynus, do you run? how far, and how often?
    Depends on context. I used to play competitive sports. At my peak I played national level Ultimate and trained/played about 20hours a week with craptons of cardio as the sport is just pure running. Did that for 2 years, and a good few before that with a few hours a week playing other cardio based sports like soccer. I never ran for fun or for time, or competed with running. it was always for training so I honestly have no idea how far, or what my times would be then. It was always ok, 20 min jog, go, and just do that before moving onto other training.

Now my last year of Ulti, I started doing weight training. I found a jump training template that had strength components and hit the gym to improve my performance. After I retired from Ulti to have time for life, I kept going to the gym to remain active. I went much more frequently and exercised a lot more intensely as I had the time and rest for it since I didn't want to bother with sports anymore. End result was after cutting out 20 hours of cardio a week and replacing it with about 6 hours of weight training, I shed a crapton of fat and recomped my body to the point where I just looked drastically different. I always looked athletic before, but had a much more olympic sprinter like look to me afterwards and had a 6pack for first time ever. That was a wakeup call for me about training methodologies and results from them. (assuming diet is in check)

I did spend a couple years actually doing personal training too, and have all my basic certs. And with my sports background and training as a profession, for study I would honestly say I've spent hundreds of hours reading studies and articles on fitness and health, and spent thousands of hours working with people on forums much like this, or in real life training with people. So I do have a bit of a background.

Interesting timing on your question however. I can say this though, I've always wanted to make the point where I do what I say, and made it a point to not do ANY cardio in my training, and have held true to that for the last 2 years. I wanted to show that you can gain and lose, faster and better, all without cardio. However over last weekend, a friend wanted to go for a jog and I said why the hell not. We didn't time it, but it was 3km. And I got through it without any trouble, 1 1min walking break or so though. my freaking legs were itchy as hell though, lol. 2 years not doing cardio prob has a few bugs to work out. I actually plan on taking 1 day a week now just for running. My son is 4, and loves to be outside, and is always wanting to race and do active things. I'll make it a father/son thing to go for a lil jog as much as we can and be active together doing whatever.

k, theres your essay on my background. :D

edit: the post right above mine is basically a mirror image of my experiences, but in reverse. the link does seem to be excessive/competitive cardio. Might be something to that rather than joe average just doing a few hours a week on the treadmill trying to drop a few pounds.

So, in short, no, you don't run....

That's really all you had to say, Jynus.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Alan Aragon and Lyle McDonald both say that cardio is pretty much pointless for normal weight loss scenarios, and they are two of the most knowledgeable fitness experts on the planet. You can accomplish the exact same thing with a larger caloric deficit, and get the same cardiovascular benefits from metabolic weight training, along with superior preservation of lean body mass.

If you want to do cardio for endurance or sport-specific training, then awesome.
    If you wan to do LISS in conjunction with a strength training regiment for weight loss, then props to you.
    If you want to use cardio as your primary exercise for weight loss, then enjoy losing tons of lean body mass and lowering your metabolism. (I'm sure that one will get me flamed, but hey, the truth hurts sometimes)

I read McDonald say something like that recently. He was talking about "untrained" people, though. In other words, if you're totally sedentary and you start running you can't go very far or very fast and you won't burn many calories. Once you've been running for a while, though, you can easily burn 1000 calories during a run. What would be better for your metabolism, eating 1600 calories or eating 2600 and running? If you're creating a deficit through diet, you're eating a lot less food than if you're creating the same deficit through exercise. Of course, if I go burn those 1000 calories and then come home and eat a large pizza I won't be losing weight. I do think resistance training is important for retaining lean mass (and so is protein, right?), but I'm not sure why you think that weight training can give you the same benefit as cardio. I lifted for years with little to no cardio and saw no improvement in my resting heart rate (an indicator of cardiovascular fitness). Running for one summer got it down into the low 40s (from the 90s).

If you read more closely, no one said that strength training gives you the "same benefit" as cardio. What has been stated is that there is cardio benefit from strength training that will show cardio fitness improvement compared to the sedentary or untrained. For cardio fitness as an objective, cardio exercise is best. That is not being disputed by anyone as far as I can tell. As you've pointed out, each type of exercise has a fitness and health benefit. They are comlimentary to in opposition to each other.

Actually, if you look above my post at what I quoted, you'll see: "get the same cardiovascular benefits from metabolic weight training." So, I actually just looked "metabolic weight training" up and it seems to be cardio with weights. If you're using smaller weights so that you can do more reps and keep your heart rate up, then you're doing cardio. I think that's a great way to exercise. What I like to do is circuit training on a greenway that has exercise stations periodically. That way, my cardio is my "rest period" while I run to the next strength exercise (chin-ups, dips, etc.). Now, you can say that this "metabolic weight training" is superior to jogging or elliptical or whatever in terms of weight loss and I'm not going to argue with that. If you try to contrast it with "cardio," then you have a problem, because that's what it is. If you're getting cardiovascular benefit, you're doing cardio.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

I currently only lift (career+family+newborn+side projects = can't spare more than 3 hrs/week to work out), and am around 50 rhr now. You may not be lifting enough to see the benefits. My overweight power lifter former boss has a rhr in the 40's and was told he has the heart of a 20 year-old. You need to lift enough that you hit 100% HRM, which is way easier than it sounds.
    I also agree that for someone whose goal is general fitness, an who has a lot of time, cardio can be great (you can really only lift for maybe 6 hours/week tops).
    I am not anti-cardio, I just think that it's a waste of time for fat, out of shape people.
    Also LISS is highly underrated.
  • aliciagudino
    aliciagudino Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure she said she hadn't JOGGED for 20 years. Being active and jogging can be different things, ya know.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Depends on context. I used to play competitive sports. At my peak I played national level Ultimate and trained/played about 20hours a week with craptons of cardio as the sport is just pure running. Did that for 2 years, and a good few before that with a few hours a week playing other cardio based sports like soccer. I never ran for fun or for time, or competed with running. it was always for training so I honestly have no idea how far, or what my times would be then. It was always ok, 20 min jog, go, and just do that before moving onto other training.

Now my last year of Ulti, I started doing weight training. I found a jump training template that had strength components and hit the gym to improve my performance. After I retired from Ulti to have time for life, I kept going to the gym to remain active. I went much more frequently and exercised a lot more intensely as I had the time and rest for it since I didn't want to bother with sports anymore. End result was after cutting out 20 hours of cardio a week and replacing it with about 6 hours of weight training, I shed a crapton of fat and recomped my body to the point where I just looked drastically different. I always looked athletic before, but had a much more olympic sprinter like look to me afterwards and had a 6pack for first time ever. That was a wakeup call for me about training methodologies and results from them. (assuming diet is in check)

I did spend a couple years actually doing personal training too, and have all my basic certs. And with my sports background and training as a profession, for study I would honestly say I've spent hundreds of hours reading studies and articles on fitness and health, and spent thousands of hours working with people on forums much like this, or in real life training with people. So I do have a bit of a background.

Interesting timing on your question however. I can say this though, I've always wanted to make the point where I do what I say, and made it a point to not do ANY cardio in my training, and have held true to that for the last 2 years. I wanted to show that you can gain and lose, faster and better, all without cardio. However over last weekend, a friend wanted to go for a jog and I said why the hell not. We didn't time it, but it was 3km. And I got through it without any trouble, 1 1min walking break or so though. my freaking legs were itchy as hell though, lol. 2 years not doing cardio prob has a few bugs to work out. I actually plan on taking 1 day a week now just for running. My son is 4, and loves to be outside, and is always wanting to race and do active things. I'll make it a father/son thing to go for a lil jog as much as we can and be active together doing whatever.

edit: the post right above mine is basically a mirror image of my experiences, but in reverse. the link does seem to be excessive/competitive cardio. Might be something to that rather than joe average just doing a few hours a week on the treadmill trying to drop a few pounds.

What a pathetically rude...not to mention unnecessary comment.
  • tappae
    Options
    ... You may not be lifting enough to see the benefits.... You need to lift enough that you hit 100% HRM, which is way easier than it sounds.

You may be right. I never wore a HRM while lifting, so I don't know what it was doing to my heart rate. I lifted for 7 years, working all major muscle groups with as heavy of weights as I could. I didn't see any real strength gains until I started overeating, too. Then, I gained a good bit of fat as well. I lost the fat with a summer of heavy running and no lifting (and only slight diet modifications). I lost a bit of strength as well, but not too much. I haven't lifted in 15 years. Now, I'm doing mostly running with some body weight exercises. My main goal right now is training for my first marathon and I'm starting to see that this might make it harder to lose as much weight as I would like. Once I eat enough carbs to fuel my running and enough protein to help to keep from losing lean mass there's not much room left to stay in a deficit. Also, I've read that large amounts of carb intake can inhibit fat loss.
  • mmapags
    Options

Actually, if you look above my post at what I quoted, you'll see: "get the same cardiovascular benefits from metabolic weight training." So, I actually just looked "metabolic weight training" up and it seems to be cardio with weights. If you're using smaller weights so that you can do more reps and keep your heart rate up, then you're doing cardio. I think that's a great way to exercise. What I like to do is circuit training on a greenway that has exercise stations periodically. That way, my cardio is my "rest period" while I run to the next strength exercise (chin-ups, dips, etc.). Now, you can say that this "metabolic weight training" is superior to jogging or elliptical or whatever in terms of weight loss and I'm not going to argue with that. If you try to contrast it with "cardio," then you have a problem, because that's what it is. If you're getting cardiovascular benefit, you're doing cardio.

I agree with both thier statement and your conclusion. Metabolic weight training is essentially "cardio" in nature. This "weight training can give you the same benefit as cardio." in what you wrote is what I was responding to. Thanks for pointing out what you meant. I appreciate it.
  • mmapags
    Options

I currently only lift (career+family+newborn+side projects = can't spare more than 3 hrs/week to work out), and am around 50 rhr now. You may not be lifting enough to see the benefits. My overweight power lifter former boss has a rhr in the 40's and was told he has the heart of a 20 year-old. You need to lift enough that you hit 100% HRM, which is way easier than it sounds.
    I also agree that for someone whose goal is general fitness, an who has a lot of time, cardio can be great (you can really only lift for maybe 6 hours/week tops).
    I am not anti-cardio, I just think that it's a waste of time for fat, out of shape people.
    Also LISS is highly underrated.

Excellent post. I completely agree!
  • tappae
    Options
    I agree with both thier statement and your conclusion. Metabolic weight training is essentially "cardio" in nature. This "weight training can give you the same benefit as cardio." in what you wrote is what I was responding to. Thanks for pointing out what you meant. I appreciate it.

No problem. I should have looked "metabolic weight training" up before my first post. On the other hand, Wackyfunster has posted again and does seem to be saying that they get cardiovascular benefit from weight training:

Maybe Wackyfunster can elaborate? Can you get the same cardiovascular benefit from doing basically anaerobic lifting or are you doing a type of lifting that involves more of a cardiovascular workout?
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Actually I stopped cardio altogether. It just wasn't working for me. Last time I logged into myfitness pal I was 133.4..and totally depressed. I think cardio for me just increases my appetite too much. Not like I was doing anything that intense- 20-30 min. Still it was too much. I decided to just concentrate on weights. WOW. Sure, the weight took 2 months to come off. But back in May I was 133.4. Today I am 120.4.

I don't think it was just the strength training that did it. It just was me not doing any compensatory overeating on the cardio. I am much less hungry now and feel I can control my appetite better without cardio.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    HAHA... "yes/ no machine" and "running and going no where" thats what happens on a treadmill... you run and go now where.

I stopped after that, my eyes glazed over and ADD kicked in... hahaha "yes/no machine"
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about moderation... 20 hours of one activity is the problem. If you do a balanced approach (BALANCE people), then you should be fine - some weights, some cardio...

Just because cardio is good, doesn't mean you need to do 20 hours a week and ONLY do that. Just because weights are good, doesn't mean you need to lift for 3 hours a day every day and never do cardio.

but that's my figuring. :)

yep yep
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Total BS. Running has millions of benefits for your body. Making sure to take adequate rest days is also an important part of a running routine... Actually any workout routine for that matter. Sooo... I believe this article is way off base.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Well, yes, it was a bit rude of him to go on at length like that, and not simply answer my quite succinctly framed question. But I didn't want to comment on it. I'm nice like that, you see.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I used to be a marathon coach so I was one of those cardio people! So definately not prejudiced against it. It's just that it stopped working for me. It increased my appetite too much. I actually gained weight during my 2nd marathon. I started realizing (for me) that longer doesn't always mean better. When I did a half marathon I lost weight. Appetite was greatly reduced as opposed to training for a full marathon.

But lately running hasn't done much for me. I think I am just too efficient at it. And I hated that whenever I stopped running I would gain the weight back quickly. My goal before was to run a marathon and get better at running but soon, subconsciously it was to run off calories. Now that I don't have running as my backup..and only do strength training, I am very aware of what I put in my mouth.

Although now that I am totally inefficient at running(yeah! this former cardio queen is now not so fast) I will throw it in before a holiday getogether or right after...and it works really well. No weight gain. Go figure! I only do strength training but will keep cardio in the bank to be withdrawn in case of emergency..i.e. a 4th of July bbq!
  • mmapags
    Options

No problem. I should have looked "metabolic weight training" up before my first post. On the other hand, Wackyfunster has posted again and does seem to be saying that they get cardiovascular benefit from weight training:

Maybe Wackyfunster can elaborate? Can you get the same cardiovascular benefit from doing basically anaerobic lifting or are you doing a type of lifting that involves more of a cardiovascular workout?

My buddy Whacky can answer for himself but I'd say no. You get slight cardio benefit from traditional strength training. You can, and do, elevate your heart rate to 90% - 100% if you are working a good progressive plan. It's for short periods of time so it has some benefit but is limited compared to metabolic weight training or running, biking etc. that elevates heart rate for extended periods of time. It is a vast improvement over being sedentary and will be beneficial for overall health though. There is also a performance gain from traditional strength training that applies to cardio cross training. For example, my squats have done wonders for my biking. I'm strengthening the same muscle group so that would follow. Metabolic weight training gives some of the best cardio benefit and best EPOC benefit according to most research. A major factor is fat loss is your goal.
  • shelleybelly35
    shelleybelly35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 108 pounds. At least 60-70 of those pounds were lost doing mainly cardio, daily. I didn't start adding serious muscle training in until I was a lot smaller. I am at a normal weight now, and I do cardio: plyo, HIIT, running and weight trainig: circuits, lifting, body weight resistance training.
    I think the author here is assuming: a) women are doing nothing but "steady state" cardio. Many of us use intervals, or at least that is what I did; b) we will eat more calories when we do nothing but cardio. Many of us who lose weight doing cardio stick to a strict calorie count; c) we try to offset not losing weight by doing more and more cardio. I only ever did 1-1/2 hours of cardio a day, 6 days a week. The author mention 20 hours of cardio. Geez. Who does that, except on the biggest loser?
    Yes, you should do a combination of cardio and weights, but not when you are too heavy. I started around 230 pounds. My mom used to be a fitness trainer, and she said in her business they often try to promote heavy weight training--circuit training. She said only do a little weight training because many of the super heavy people who weight train intensely have a lot of saggy skin. She showed me some clients pictures to prove it to me. So I worked with 1-3 pound weights two days a week for 20 minutes to counteract muscle loss and did cardio the rest of the time. I dropped 60-70 pounds in about 8 months. I started circuit and lost the rest. I am now toned, cut, and thin. I owe much of that to cardio.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Well, yes, it was a bit rude of him to go on at length like that, and not simply answer my quite succinctly framed question. But I didn't want to comment on it. I'm nice like that, you see.
    well now im curious.. could u enlighten me as to why the hundreds of hours i spent running for sports dont count as running?