HAIR DRAMA: skipping workouts to avoid daily shampoos...

Options

Replies

• Kunderwood04
    Options
    Bump for later read
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    There are lots of gentle shampoos for daily use made for athletes (especially swimmers). Just ask around in a beauty shop and among friends to get a product that works for you. I sometimes use a gentle daily conditioner and skip the shampoo.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you have to spend an hour blow drying and styling you hair, it sounds like you may have the wrong style. You shouldn't have to cut it all off to get it to cooperate but your stylist should be able to suggest a style that better agrees with your hair type and lifestyle. I sweat profusely and wash my hair everyday. I told my stylist that I wanted to spend less than 10 minutes dealing with my hair and he was able to give me a fantastic cut that is wash and go.
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I profusely sweat and the worst part is that 99% of my sweat comes from my forehead...ugh! So by the time I'm done working out, my hair is drenched in sweat. I absolutely HAVE to shower and wash my hair. There is no way a dry shampoo would work for me. In addition, I also have fine hair which takes a while to fix. I've finally come to the conclusion that my health is more important than my time spent making myself beautiful. However, on my rest days, I LOVE that I don't have to wash my hair, dry it, and get all fixed up. That is a treat that I look forward to!
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It stinks for sure! I sense your frustration~! For my 50 pound weight loss I got beautiful hair extensions, my hair is very thin and blah...well as much as I loved it it was PURE bondage, I could not swim or exercise or anything, I took them after 4 months, I miss them but I am happy to be able to exercise and do more!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I shower and wash my hair every day, haven't been working out at all in months though, trying to get back tothat but it is too damn hot now!!

If i don't shower and wash my hair every day it looks like CRAP!! It gets really wavy as it is naturally curly and i flat iron it everyday, It just looks like crap when i get up it is wavy and lifeless if i don't shower and wash it. And when i did/do run i sweat ALOT. mostly from my forehead so i have no choice but to shower and wash it.
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    I've seen beautiful bald women with great bodies. Just sayin'. :tongue: It's better to shave your head and be fit than out-of-shape with fab hair? Not "exactly" my point...Just being silly. LOL

I understand your point. Don't skip workouts though. :frown:
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I read that you don't need to shampoo your hair daily even if you workout. I don't use shampoo daily. only when my hair needs it. I go through the motions of shampooing like scrubbing my scalp, but don't use shampoo. my hair gets clean and it retains the natural oils... :)
    This is what I do. I was with water and condition as needed after workouts and clean my hair when I need t. Lately, I've been experimenting with using a heavily diluted baking soda rinse followed by a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse to clean it instead of shampooing. I have to say, my hair has never been in better shape. It actually has put my scalp psoriasis into almost total remission which is pretty much a miracle. I also had good scalp results with sulfate free shampoos, but they made my hair look like dull, dry straw. I have kind of medium wavy hair that tends to be frizzy and dry if washed too often.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I have that same issue - no exercise today - bad hair day for me....
    380229_413418092032334_523363677_n.jpg
  • calliangelo
    Options
    i feel ya!
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It's so hot here, I sweat whether I'm working out or not (no a/c). For the first couple of days I was shampooing my hair every day like I normally do, but then I ended up with a rat's nest for hair. So for the past week since I can't skip washing my hair all together, I have just been conditioning it. My hair is clean, but it's also manageable, by doing this.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of putting your hair up in a towel or a clip??
    Anyone else do this?? I'm so frustrated. I WANT to workout everyday. I have time to workout everyday. I don't though, because I don't want to wash my hair everyday... it makes my hair feel & look like total straw. Yes I shower daily, but try to shampoo just every other day. I have fine/thin hair that gets greasy FAST and if I workout out, shampooing is a necessity. I've pretty much just been working out every other day, right before my shower. The other thing is how time consuming it is. Just showering= 15 to 20 minutes. Showering & washing my hair plus styling & blowdrying = an hour plus! UGH. It turns an hour work out into a 2 hour ordeal.

I tried to cut down the head sweating by putting mini fans up around my treadmill (clip on fans in the ceiling rafters downstairs!), but it doesn't really help. I've tried every brand of dry shampoo spray and/or powder, all pretty nasty IMO. I would rather have bad hair than be overweight, but I am struggling with this "excuse"...

Anyone else have hair drama?! How do you deal?

I just feel like cutting it all off today!
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair once every two weeks.. If i'm in a good mood it will get done once a week. But I don't have time to do the do. Plus where I work, I'm in a facilty that processes dirty stuff.. So who cares what my hair looks like...
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    LOL! You are an excellent specimen of hairlessness;)
    I have that same issue - no exercise today - bad hair day for me....
    380229_413418092032334_523363677_n.jpg
  • I know what you mean!! My hair is to my lower back...I have a to of it and it's thick so I feel your pain! I exercise daily but I wash every other day. In between washes I use TIGI Rockaholic Dry Shampoo - it's awesome!! It works well so there's no need for me to wash every day! If you get it make sure you shake the can well before you use it so it doesn't spray white. Great product!
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all of these posts so I don't know if someone else suggested it, but sometimes to avoid washing my hair too much I will alternate night/morning workouts. Say on Tuesday I'll work out at night leave my hair dirty and sleep with it in a braid then Wednesday I'll work out in the morning and wash it in the morning. Then Thursday I'll workout at night, leave it dirty then do my friday workout in the morning and wash it again friday. That way I'm only washing it every other day, but I'm still able to workout every day too.
  • hurricanehodz
    Options
    Total pain in the *kitten*! hate it ! Trying so hard to get diet and exercise perfect and then my mum turns round and says " you hair doesnt look in good condition, its rather greasy" . ive started washing it everyother day now and in between i wet a hairbrush and just brush it to freshen it up (learnt this one by camping alot)
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So why not just be smart about your schedule?

Monday: workout late evening and don't wash hair
    Tuesday: workout early morning and wash hair after
    (Clean hair for all of Tuesday and Wednesday)
    Wednesday: workout late evening and don't wash hair
    Thursday: workout early morning and wash hair after
    (Clean hair for all of Wednesday and Thursday)

Repeat. I don't see the problem...
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    So why not just be smart about your schedule?

Monday: workout late evening and don't wash hair
    Tuesday: workout early morning and wash hair after
    (Clean hair for all of Tuesday and Wednesday)
    Wednesday: workout late evening and don't wash hair
    Thursday: workout early morning and wash hair after
    (Clean hair for all of Wednesday and Thursday)

Repeat. I don't see the problem...

Brilliant idea!