What's your Protein/Nutritional Shake Recipe?

Options
SusuAtta
SusuAtta Posts: 56
I'm a shake newbie! They had Alive Pea Protein Nutritional Shake powder on sale at the store yesterday, and I'm getting bored of my regular breakfast. I got the chocolate flavor ^.^ I tried it this morning and I thought it was delicious! Here was my recipe:

1 frozen banana
1 scope powder
1 T PB2
1/2 C almond milk +1/2 C water

It was thick, and so filling I had to save half of it for later!
So I was wondering what you put in your shake, or if you could give me some suggestions so that I can change up my own :happy:

Replies

• sabras18
    sabras18 Posts: 24
    Options
    I love my smoothies, drink one every day for lunch!!!!! Frozen bananas is a great idea!!!!

heres my fav......

1/2 C soy milk original (more protein then almond milk)
    6oz Cho Bani Greek Yogurt (any flavor)
    1C Frozen Fruit (peaches, blueberry, mango, ect)
    1 scoop powder (Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 - Protien Powder Vanilla)
    3 ice cubes to make colder

The Cho Bani offer 14 g protein and a variety of flavors so I can always change it up........and make it really smooth!!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    It's a lot like yours, actually. I usually do them after a hardcore kickboxing workout.

1 frozen banana
    1 cup Lactaid chocolate milk (or any kind of chocolate milk)
    2 Tbsp PB2 chocolate
    1 scoop Green Foods chocolate wheat grass powder (can you see the theme? :smile:)

It's like heaven in a blender. And at 330 calories, it would make a great meal replacement. But I like it as a treat...but only after a hardcore workout. :tongue:
  • gabuhurtado
    gabuhurtado Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start mixing it up!

This is the recipe that I follow:

- 10 Tbs oats
    - 10 Tbs nonfat plain yogurt
    - 1 cup non-fat milk (or as necessary; depending how thick you like your shake)
    - 1 cup of fruit (usually peaches or strawberry)

After working out sometimes I replace the fruit with chocolate powder (2 Tbs).

It makes me feel full and energized until lunch time :o)
  • hopeandhustle
    hopeandhustle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite right now is apple pie!

2 Scoops Herbalife Formula 1 Vanilla
    1 Scoop Protein Vanilla
    1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
    1 Frozen Apple cut into chunks
    1 Cup of Skim Milk
    Dash of cinnamon
    Dash of nutmeg
    Dash of ground cloves
    Unsweetened Apple Sauce (optional)

Nutritional Analysis (with nonfat milk):
    Calories: 310
    Protein: 40 grams
    Fat: 1 gram
    Carbohydrates: 46 grams
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    1 scoop protein
    2 cups skim milk

shake well
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup 2% milk
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
    1/2 cup frozen berries
    1 scoop whey protein isolate
  • mawright1231
    Options
    My go-to right now is:

1 TB Chocolate Shakeology
    1/2 c almond milk
    1/2 c water
    1/2 c frozen cherries
    1 TB SF FF Cheesecake Pudding Mix
  • lethalnavi
    Options
    Nobody told me I can have smoothies everyday???? everybody just told me how many calories it contains and how unhealthy it is for my diet. I did not believe it but did not consume it either. Lol. I feel like a moron right now. anyways from tomorrow smoothies it is and i will post a recipe too later.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Nobody told me I can have smoothies everyday???? everybody just told me how many calories it contains and how unhealthy it is for my diet. I did not believe it but did not consume it either. Lol. I feel like a moron right now. anyways from tomorrow smoothies it is and i will post a recipe too later.

The recipe I posted has about 270 calories, and I have one for breakfast on most days. I don't know who's telling you that it's unhealthy; like any other meal, it's all about the ingredients you choose.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think people are talking about the huge fruit smoothies you'd get at a juice bar or coffee shop -- 20 ounces of pure sugar, and people think it's health food because there's fruit in it. But if you watch what goes in it, smoothies can be healthy. For me, it's about all I can stomach first thing in the morning, and getting that good fuel in early makes such a huge difference in how good I feel the rest of the day. I use:
    - Whey protein powder (from antibiotic-free, no-added-hormone cows...can't find organic here) (1 scoop = 18g protein)
    - Oikos organic greek yogurt (4 oz container = 12g protein)
    - Almond milk (if you've only tried Silk and don't like it, other brands are much less thick in consistency) (1/2 cup)
    - Organic flax oil (1 tbsp)
    - Spices (depends on the day, but usually some mixing of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom)
    - Psylium fiber (1-2 tsp)

Mine is 323 calories, but 110 of that comes from the flax oil; I'm good with that considering I won't eat fish.
  • wildflow30
    wildflow30 Posts: 27
    Options
    I do mine in the morning because I have been having issues getting all my calories in. I am just not a morning breakfast person!

I do one scoop of whey protein powder
    2 cups of ice
    then a fruit of sort

Last week I went and picked fresh strawberries and froze them in one cup portions.
    Also when I have ripe bananas no one will eat I freeze them in half portions.
    This week I used a can of peaches in 100% juice. Split it into 3 rds. Had peach for 3 days straight.

Sometimes I will add a 1/2 cup of Sunny D, coconut milk or skim milk. But I find I dont need the extra liquid and like it more frozen.

But you can Google "Protein Shakes" and come up with some really need concoctions!
  • sabras18
    Options
    My go-to right now is:

1/2 c almond milk
    1/2 c water
    1/2 c frozen cherries

have you tried the vegan yet..... im a beachbody coach and want to start the shakelogy next month
  • sabras18
    Options

The recipe I posted has about 270 calories, and I have one for breakfast on most days. I don't know who's telling you that it's unhealthy; like any other meal, it's all about the ingredients you choose.

mine has about 300 too, you can replace any meal with one and depending on your goal intake it can be your snack
  • tiki1078
    tiki1078 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my protein shakes! I try different things just to mix it. Some have proven to be not a good combo but you never know until you try it out. I agree with a earlier post that its all about what you put in it that makes it unhealthy. I have at least one a day for breakfast. You can alter the ingredients so make it a snack instead of meal.

I alternate between greek yogurt or protein powder
    Fruit of choice (usually use freeze it so I don't have to use ice)
    Water and/or milk (I just pay attention to the calories in the milk I pick)
    Natural peanut butter
    Oatmeal

My favorite is my powder, water, little milk and fruit. Toss it into single serve blender cup pulse and walk out the door.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    1 cup water
    Scoop of protein powder
    One banana
    Six frozen strawberries
    4 oz. Oikos Greek yogurt
    A few ice cubes
    Blend well and enjoy.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My current fave is Chocolate Vegan Shakeology, one scoop with 10 oz partially frozen coconut milk...bangin good and a full day's worth of veggies in a chocolate shake! Life is GOOOOOD! lol
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    My go-to right now is:

1/2 c almond milk
    1/2 c water
    1/2 c frozen cherries

have you tried the vegan yet..... im a beachbody coach and want to start the shakelogy next month
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love good fruit in my protein shakes! Generally, I've been gravitating towards:

- A banana
    - 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries
    - 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
    - 1/2 cup of 1% milk
    - Scoop of vanilla whey protein powder

Nice and sweet but healthy. The frozen fruit "thickens" the overall shake. Low fat. With a full banana and the fruit, I'm generally clocking in about 375-400 calories... which works quite well for my diet. Everything can be reduced easily though, half a banana or skim milk can drop the calories while still providing a tasty protein heavy shake.

I generally am aiming for a 2:1 carb:protein ratio in my shakes. Spiking your insulin can increase your muscle's ability to uptake protein, and if you're eating at a deficit, you don't really need to worry about insulin spikes and fat gain.
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    I've had both the Tropical Strawberry Vegan and Chocolate Vegan since I'm allergic to whey protein. LOVE 'em both and was torn whether I wanted to switch my Strawberry to Chocolate Vegan when it came out but it's YUMMMY!! My fave Tropical Strawberry was 8oz water, banana, 1 scoop Shakeology and frozen mango chunks and so far my fave Choc Vegan is simple...10 oz coconut milk (partially frozen) and one scoop Shakeo. Gonna add chocolate egg white protein to it 2day and hope it doesn't ruin the taste lol.
  • PlaceOfASkull
    Options
    8oz water.
    1 tbsp natural PB.
    1/4 cup oats.
    1 teaspoon instant coffee.
    1 teaspoon sugar free chocolate instant pudding.
    1/4 scoop body fortress chocolate whey protein.

Calories - 205
    Carbs -19
    Fat -10
    Protein - 13
    Fiber - 3