Fat Clothes - Toss or Pack Away?

Options

Replies

• funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I keep any tshirts, because I like to wear them as pjs. I've also kept a pair of size 26 jeans just so I can look back and see how far I've come.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Donate em!! I use my old t shirts and stuff as workout clothes and the looser and looser they get the more obvious it is of how far I've come :flowerforyou: So it is a little extra motivation. Plus saves some mula!! OR you could try and tailor some of your stuff so you can keep wearing it, although if you can't sew it might cost you as much as it would to get new clothes. If you've got realllly nice clothes sell them to like platos closet or that kind of store or on craigslist :flowerforyou:
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 30 pounds so far and would like to lose 10 more. I have TONS of size 8 to 12 clothes in my closet. I am now a size 6-8. I want to go through my closet and weed out the old but I am not sure what to do with it. I am a teacher and I have so many great work clothes. I have spent a lot on those clothes and I will probably fit in those sizes someday as I get older. Am I making excuses? Should I really toss all those great clothes?
    You can send them to me!!! I'm heading into that size range now! I got rid of all my size 16 (biggest size I ever was and refuse to be ever again) to charity. My size 14s are getting ready to leave me soon too! I donated to the Big Brothers/Big Sisters last week! Got rid of a garbage bag of sweaters and another bag of pants, shorts, work out clothes, etc. :drinker:
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have one t shirt and one pair of trousers from when I was at my biggest. Everything else I get rid of once it no longer fits, because I don't want to to back there, so I'm not making it an option.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If they can be taken in so they fit, keep them. If not, donate. Don't keep them around for a "what if." Chances are, if that what if happens, the clothes will be outdated and you'll want new clothes.

And besides, it's not as though weight gain is unavoidable. If you can lose it now, you can keep it off OR lose it again in the future.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 30 pounds so far and would like to lose 10 more. I have TONS of size 8 to 12 clothes in my closet. I am now a size 6-8. I want to go through my closet and weed out the old but I am not sure what to do with it. I am a teacher and I have so many great work clothes. I have spent a lot on those clothes and I will probably fit in those sizes someday as I get older. Am I making excuses? Should I really toss all those great clothes?

I kept two pairs of my big jeans because I wanted a visual reminder to never go back into them again. :)
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I agree with several of the previous posters, tailor your favorite pairs, perhaps keep the 8's, and donate the rest of them to charity. I have lost a few sizes myself and have been packing them away today. I plan to take them to a clothing exchange soon for military spouses. Any of the remaining will go to the local women's shelter.
  • loseweightjames
    Options

um, i'd say since you're not that far off, you're a size 6-8, and you have 8-12 clothes to toss, I would save them, put them in a box with the year on it and come back to it one day.

CLOSET ORGANIZING TIP - Are You Trying To Figure Out What Clothes To Get Rid Of? Here's A Tip: once a year, reverse all of your hangers, put them in backwards, as if someone was on the other side of the closet had put them in. Then as you use the items put the hangers back in the correct way. Whatever clothes are still backwards at the end of a year means you can probably get rid of the item since you haven't needed it for an entire year.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Same here! I'm a teacher and I was a size 10/12 just 6 months ago and now a size 4/6. I sold and gave away all my size 10+. I kept a few of the size 8's that I really liked just in case and some of my favorite pants that I may try to resize. I have been a 4/6 before (I had kids and now I'm done having kids), so I had a lot of clothes that I was able to get out of storage. The thing I keep telling myself is that even if I was to gain weight for some reason (car accident/ serious illness), most of the clothes would be out of style. It does kind of stink that I really liked a lot of the clothes I gave away, but I tried to give them to friends/family that would appreciate some nice work clothes. I did keep one or two items just to remember how big I was. It motivates me to see how far I've come.
    Congrats and keep up the great work!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I would toss, just think to yourself "do I ever want to be that size again?" If the answer is no then you don't need them!
  • Toomestwin
    Toomestwin Posts: 40
    Options
    I donated the good ones to charity and threw the rest away. This was an easy decision for me.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you keep them, you will eventually fit back into them... Donate them to Goodwill for someone else to enjoy (hopefully on their own trip down as well).
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    As others have said, give them away or donate them to Goodwill.
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am hoping in the near future to do a clothes swap. If you don't know what that is, anyone can bring in clothes to swap, any size, any type (no undies please! lol), and when they do they get a ticket. On the day of the swap, you bring your ticket, you get a bag and you can fill your bag up with whatever you want. Great way to find new awesome clothes, and get rid of the stuff you can't or never want to wear again, for whatever reason.

I also agree with the gal who said to have them tailored.
  • Rockontoothpicks
    Options
    I donated a ton of my old stuff....but I keep a few pair of pants that I put on just to see how much weight I have lost...IT IS AWESOME FOR THE EGO :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • jinni1941
    jinni1941 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Expensive clothing, I would look into having the altered but I would not keep them as is. If I can't alter something, I give it away or take it to consignment because I don't want an excuse that I have so much money invested. Then I try to find really good sales on great clothing to replace them.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    No matter what, don't make yourself a plan to weight back. For me, I donate clothes that I'm not married to, get the clothes I really love altered, and I keep 2 or 3 basics in only one size larger so that if I do get a touch a heavier, I don't have to be uncomfortable or naked while I reign it back in.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Donate &/or give away! Such a good feeling!
  • saritaeliz86
    saritaeliz86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I donated mine the last time I lost weight.. I stopped working out as hard and the new clothes started to get tight.. which was my cue to start working out. Donate or sell to plato's closet, ebay, or on craigslist--use the profits to buy new clothes. Nothing is more important than your health, clothes and styles change, don't hold on to your former self. You have come along way to turn back.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Sell them on Ebay and use the profit to buy stuff in your current size. Simples.

Yup!!!!! And often there are also charity programs that help women who are trying to get jobs and become self sufficient (away from abusers, off of welfare, etc) but just don't have the clothing to allow it....if you can find something like that!? Awesome!