WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2012

Options

Replies

• mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

We are revelling in a sunny day here in SE British Columbia- the second one in a row! It's been so rainy that we treasure every blue sky moment.

Thank you for re-posting the "Plateau Piece", JB. It is encouraging to know I'm not alone in the game. I need to get back to planning my meals more carefully. It's so easy to get off track when we are on holiday and out of the routine. Really, I suspect that if I controlled my wine intake as carefully as I control my food intake, I'd be just fine. :blushing:

Like many of you I have given up some of the activities that used to fill my time. I read less, and I spend very little time in my office/craft room. The early morning half hour I used to spend writing in my diary is taken up with exercise. My major project in the year has been "me" - and it's been worth it. Saying that makes me even more determined to do what I need to do to loose this last five pounds! What a waste of a year it would be if I gave up now.

Oh well, no matter what I do I can't avoid the laundry, :grumble: and there's a load in the machine waiting to be hung on the line. Then I have to water the plants on the patio, give the kitchen a good clean-up and get packed for a weekend at the cabin and a week in Kelowna. Such a life!

I'll see you all on the other side...

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • happydays2525
    happydays2525 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    wyocoke try the group called 'Women,Let's Just Do It' . I'm on there also.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi all you wonderful women over 50! :smile:

I wanted to let those of you who have joint pain know how well Cymbalta works. I have knee pain,back pain due to a work injury. My doctor suggested Cymbalta. This medication just melts the pain away!!!! It is typically used for depression,but it is working so well for pain relief that you can see the commercials on TV. This is a non-narcotic pain reliever so no grogginess,etc. I suggest you might want to give it a try.
    Hope you all are having a blessed weekend! : :flowerforyou: Linda, aka SundanceB
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all, I live in Delaware and the temp here is 102 with heat index of 111. I have my 2 and 4 year old GK today, we went "swimming" in their blow up pool for a little while (was like taking a bath, water was so warm) now we are "chillin" watching Shrek. So sorry to hear about all the knee problems. My father has had knee replacement surgery and I know a bad knee is very painful. Kids wanna eat ' gotta go fix dinner. Everyone stay cool and and drink:drinker: drink:drinker: drink:drinker: that water
    :heart: Love ((((HUGS)))) and prayers, Rose
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello everyone!

GAWD!!!! I am so tired of always going on here and NEVER having anything good or positive to say!

I am sitting here trying to come up with something positive going on in my life and I cant think of a friggin thing!!

Mimi- I am so glad you are still on here. You were the first person that ever wrote to me on here and and I have relied soooo much on your words of wisdom. I am just having the worst of times right now trying to eat good. I think what it boils down to, and I am going to be totally honest with myself, is that I am very depressed and unhappy. Because of this I am just STUFFING myself with "yummy food". Seriously, this morning I woke up late..11:30 am, it was already hot outside and had to walk the dogs. (poor Boo was huffing and puffing in the heat, and trying to walk in every little bit of shade there was to keep cool!) The whole time walking them I was drreading coming back to the apartment because I needed to change my mothers diaper, which because I woke up so late, would be a mess.... my own fault. By the time I got back I was dripping in sweat and changed mom, fed the dogs and was exhausted! So in my infinite wisdom I decided, %*#@ this, and drove down to McDonalds got a chocolate chip frappe for me and a iced latte for mom, then went to Jack in the Box and order a breakfast platter for mom, and a sourdough breakfast sandwhich for me. ....then on the way back home stopped at Winchells and bought 6 dioughnuts too!:noway: :grumble: :sad:

I was too full to eat the doughnuts ... but now 4 hours later have eaten 2 of them.

The thing is that I have tried walking to relax and enjoy the trees and etc. (Too hot or I'm in too much pain) I bought coloring books to color in too relax and "let my mind go" being around mom all day. Somewhat works, but is boring. Read books to escape. Have only gone swimming once because the friggin water is too cold to swim in and when I did that one time my joints and body were screaming in pain afterwards from the cold! (Michelle: I will look into to solar pool cover. But this place is so tight with their money that I am not counting on it. And the poor people here can barely afford their rent that I don't see them being able to chip in, and there is no board or committee to be heard of.) Still have no car, so I am limited to how often I can get out, unless it is grocery shopping. I have tried to get people here to spend some time together to play some games or something but they are usually no shows. And the topper of all toppers is that my guy friend FINALLY filed for divorce from his wife who has not been in a relationship with her in over 5 years and she is giving him such a hard time about divorcing her now. She claims she doesn't understand why he would want to divorce her after "not being a couple" in that many years. Unbelievable!! Now she is trying to find out who I am, because I OBVIOUSLY must be the reason he is leaving her. (Forget all those years before me.:noway: ) But she has been giving him such a hard time that he is actually thinking of going back to her to avoid hurting his childeren (all over age) but she has bad mouthed hiim so much that they won't speak to him. The funny thing is that they were the reason he stayed married to her all this time. He wanted to make sure that they all graduated from school and were going to college or in the service and got their life together before he left. They all knew what she was like and how she treated him. At the time they were very supportive of him, knowing that when the last child left the nest, he would leave her. They said he deserved to be happy. But she has twisted things around so badly now and has at least half of the kids not talking to him that it has hurt him very much. He doesnt want to lose his kids and feels torn...hence the reason he may go back to her. This of course flabbergasts me and hurts me very much and of course I am depressed . I am in the middle here, which of course I know that it was my choice, but I just never saw this happening. At least I know that I am not the reason he was thinking of leaving her. He had plans a long time before he met me, but family makes things hard to deal with. Wish my own husband had thought that way when he left my son and I. Different types of men I guess. At any rate I am still standing by the sidelines waiting to see what the outcome will be.

And finally, there is mom, as usual. Only she is much worse now and the dementa is getting worse and she is accusing me of so many CRAZY things, impossible things, that it almost makes me burst out laughing how she can think I would do some of the things she says I do to "mess with her". As hilarious as some of the things are, I must admit that the laughter that wants to burst out of me, is not because it so funny but because I think she is going to drive me insane and I am turniing looney because of it. The solitude here is getting to me. No outlets. Or at least the ones I have are not working. I am afraid I am losing it sometimes. At least before I had my guy friend to get my mind off of her, but lately that's not even available to me.

See what I mean??? Nothing positive. But if I don't say something to someone, (unfortunately is has to be all of you) I am truly going to lose it!!:sad:

I must admit after venting all this I feel like a lot is off my shoulders, but I am sorry you all have to listen to me complain and whine.

Oh well I do have my remaining 4 doughnuts to look forward to. Is that positve??:laugh:

Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • oldsalty1
    oldsalty1 Posts: 70
    Options
    Hey djhobs... Have a great time on St. John...my youngest daughter lives there and loves it!! She does Yoga everyday...From what I understand....You have lots of opportunity to walk...run...and dance and surf if there are storms!
    BTW...she is at "Skinny Legs"...if you need clean food she can handle it!

For my Goals....
    I am coming off of a 3-4 month plateau..so every ounce I loose is amazing...(4 lbs in the last 37 days)
    Keep up my Zumba 3-4 days a week
    Keep up my Extreme Cardio 2 days a week...(did 3 this week)
    Keep my food clean!! Trying to stay away from processed period!!
    Loose at least 8 lbs! (Will put me at 50 lbs lost in a year)
    Upping my calories and exercise in small increments to keep from plateauing again...
  • WhoShurNan
    Options
    Hello! Just starting out, my goals for July - Lose 5lbs. Walk 3 days a week. Continue to be positive (I can do this!) Very happy to have found this group, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions! Nan
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Chicklet (sorry if I spelled your handle wrong)---

I am so sorry for the way things are going. I hope you can stop punishing yourself for the things that are going wrong and are frustrating.

I've been looking after my dad for just over 4 years since he had a major stroke. He was never able to go back to either of his businesses (which I had to look after and sell), or drive, or even speak clearly. While he is in an Assisted Living Facility I end up talking to him 1 - 2 times a day, try to understand his crazy requests, take him to all his appointments, look after his acreage manage the farm etc.

I have days where I cannot cope, I think I'm gonna have a stroke. All I did was eat for over 3 1/2 years. This February I started trying to change---just a bit at a time. I figured if I failed, what did I have invested right? But it's been working. Now I take a lot of deep breaths, I listen to meditation music, once in a while I'll call a friend, and I try to find something to laugh at everyday.

I hope you can find your way to a happier life very very soon.

Lin
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread.. I am 58 and my goals for July are :
    To keep logging everyday my food and water
    Drink atleast 64oz of water everyday:drinker: :drinker:
    Exercise 3 times a week ( WII,Zumba ,Ride my stationary Bike.)
    Walk everyday outside if possible or use a Video
    Loose 10 lbs by Oct. our 29th Ann.
    Keep positive and say to myself You Can Do It!!! :happy:
    Try to get 8 hrs a sleep a night.:yawn:

I am glad I found this site..:flowerforyou: I have tried many and haven't had the support and motivation I get on here.. I am always looking for new Support buddies and hope to help others as well
    Thanks again..:love:
  • cloh72
    cloh72 Posts: 38
    Options
    Just joined MFP today. I have been enjoying going thru the different things they offer. I would like to have join here is this a group or just a posting? I am still learning my way around and hope to meet friends for motivation and support...I am 57. My goal is to lose 20 lbs by the end of the year....my July goals: Drink my water, Exercise daily. Keep up with my food journal. Make healthy choices. More fruit and vegetables...
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    well got half the room cleaned where does the junk come from? Made a recipe I found on Pinterest roasted shrimp and broccoli. Glad to have that in freezer as I have not left the house and no groceries in house, so will definalty be under goal today
  • mrsmelonmaryjane
    mrsmelonmaryjane Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    New to this forum but love the idea of goals -- thanks all for sharing!

Goals for July

Lose 5 lbs.
    Love myself no matter what
    When I have the choice, move rather than sit
    When sitting, move anyway
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    leska - barbie is our fearless leader, always with words of encouragement and great advice.

swkittrell - so sorry about your friend. The one and only time I made a lap quilt, I had so much trouble with the binding. To me, quilting isn't really relaxing. But that's just me.

heybert - don't get discouraged. I know that FOR ME if I eat (especially carbs) after around 7, I can be guaranteed of a gain the next day. Never fails for me. Now I know that some people aren't like that, but I know I should have a large lunch and small dinner. That's just me. Do you maybe eat late at night, even tho you're still within your calories? I know that I can. Just a thought.

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'llo do some of the aerobics on My Fitness Coach. Never done that, don't know how it'll be, so I'll give it a try.

Went to the farmer's market. Took two knives, two pairs of scissors, and two clippers to the guy to sharpen for me. It cost me $20. Not too bad. I got some golden beets (yum), blueberries (I'm thinking that I'll take cherries to the ballpark with me since I can freeze the blueberries but not the cherries), the guy whose corn I really like wasn't there but he'll be back next week so I got 4 ears of corn from this other guy - the one Vince likes but I'd prefer the other guy's corn. then sprayed weed killer outside, made some chocolate cupcakes for Vince (found that I need to put them in a muffin liner), cooked the corn and beets. Now I'm on here. I really didn't want those chocolate cupcakes, but they broke so instead of throwing them out, I ate them. If I could get Vince to eat them broken, I would have. Oh, also got some squash and okra. A salad of squash, okra, and tomatoes with some balsamic vinegar on it -- my mouth is watering. I got some tomoatoes from this guy at the farmers market since we needed them. I know that I can get them from a guy near me during the week.

I think after the ballgame we'll stop at one food store. If I go today or tomorrow, peaches are 88 cents. I have some recipes with peaches that I want to try.

After having those two chocolate cupcakes, I think in order to hold down on the calories (and sodium) I will need to bring the veggie burger with me. Boy, I'm bringing my dinner. As I recall, you needed to get the bottles of water before your hour was up, so I'll stock up on them. I think they had ice cream so I may have some of that.

awebster - welcome. Your goals sound real good. For some people it works to make lots of goals, but I think it works best for the majority of people if they make one small goal, achieve it, and then add another goal and so on. Good luck to you!

eshlemanc, wyocoke, happydays - welcome! You've come to a good place for motivation, that's for sure.

I enjoy doing crafts, one positive side effect is that it keeps my hands busy and I don't want to have something to eat and get what I'm working on dirty so I will forgo the snacking. Works for me!

seventeendaye, whoshurnan, dragonldy, cloh. mrsmelonmaryj - welcome!

DeeDee - you lucky person you! I went to whole Foods in W-S once and loved it! You're not far from me at all, wonderful! I'm going to keep that in mind. I buy things at the store for the soup kitchen, my criteria is that it has to be CHEAP, usually something that's on sale that I have a coupon for. My limit is I'll spend 50 cents on an item. And there have been quite a few things that I've donated. For jollies I started keeping a log of the foods I donated and how much. Two years ago was the first full year that I kept that log. By the end of the year, I had donated over $1,000 worth.

jb - you're so right, Plateau City is very much like Maintenance City. Too similar, if you ask me. Can't wait until you are there, I'd love to read what you have to write about it. Your such a wonderful writer (not like me)

connie - I'm so sorry your going thru all that stress. Whenever I'm really stressed out, exercise really does help a lot.

Kathy - we ALL fall off the wagon, not one of us doesn't. The improtant thing is to get back to healthy eating real soon. I respect your feelings about having an open diary, but on the other side of the coin, many times I get good ideas from others of things to have. Another positive for everyone else if you were to have your diary open is that we'll be able to see your progress. But in the end, you have to do what you are comfortable with. Glad your knee is better.

Vince was just saying that here in NC it's actually hotter than at our place in Florida. But then again, the humidity here isn't anywhere near what it is in Florida, which makes the heat bearable.

Talked to a lady at yoga today, she's usually in the water aerobics class. she was saying that it doesn't look like they have a regular teacher for the Wed. class and that is the one I usually went to 3 weeks of the month. Boo! Fortunately, next week I'll go on Friday when I know the gal who will be teaching it, she's good but softspoken. That's the only thing I can say against her, which isn't bad at all. It just means you can't chat as much (which you really shouldn't anyway)

megblair - I am one of the most inflexible people on the face of this earth. I kid you not. So don't let that stop you from yoga. I find that it's really good for stretching. Honestly, you don't burn as many calories as weight training or aerobics, but you need stretching too and yoga is a nice compliment to weight training. I really don't feel all the zen meditation and stuff, but I really like the stretching. It can be so gentle. I usually do hatha yoga. I don't think yoga isn't for you, maybe that teacher wasn't for you. I used to go to one gal who was more intense, she had us doing headstands and stuff. I could never do that, and I really didn't want to. But that was her style.

kackie - you're doing a lot for the wedding. Even tho its stressful for you, I'm sure the bride and groom really appreciate it.

kathy - glad to know that I'm not the only one who thought she'd lost 25lbs in one week and had to reread the post!

Nancy - as I read your post about not being able to give up the laundry, I have a load in the dryer! I do wish that our HOA would allow clotheslines. At our second house we had one, clothes that are dried in the sun have such a wonderful smell. And the sheets! You're so so lucky to hve a line. Have a good trip!

chicklet - love your honesty. Honey, you have so very much on your plate right now. Please come here and tell us all that's happening, all the time. Venting is good, get it out of your system

We just got back from the baseball game. I did wind up taking my veggie burger in with me along with some carrots. The one thing I had was an ice cream, that I didn't account for. But I did have six 16oz bottles of water. It was hot. Really, I should have stuck to the cherries instead of having the ice cream. Oh well, live and learn...and die a fool.

Going to take a shower, then get ready for bed. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Guess it didn't work!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    chicklet (and anyone else)- I just saw this on facebook and thought it was so cute. The sign says "Positive Thought for the Day" Underneath it it says "when you feel that no one loves you, nobody cares for you, everyone is ignoring you and people are jealous of you, you should really ask youself "Am I Too Sexy"

Michele
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    Good evening, lovelies!

Deedee rather have squash than tiramisu cake? :noway: Michelle, prefer vegges rather than cookies?:noway: :noway: :noway: You two amaze me!
    Kathyszoo Me I can't abide steamed veggies, but roasted, grilled or raw is great!:love:
    swkittrell any room in your plan to add some citrus or whole grains to your breakfast?:ohwell:
    Nancy the rosemary foccacia sounds delicious, please do NOT give me the recipe!:laugh:
    Amanda does the rain make your knee hurt more?:cry:
    Michelle I freeze cherries all season.:heart: Slice 'em in half, remove the pit, cut side down on saran wrapped cookie sheet, then when hard into plastic freezer containers. They go great in smoothies and with white peaches and cottage cheese, even if a bit mushy when thawed.
    Chiclet:brokenheart: You are not alone. What you're going through IS hard. Vent as often as you need to feel better to keep going. We care about you. One foot in front of the other.

For all with knee issues and access to a pool:wink:
    http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/cardio-and-strength-training-water-workout-pool?cm_mmc=Walk-Off-Weight-_-968472-_-07042012-_-Blast-300-Calories-In-Under-30-Minutes-read-more

NSV breakfast at Denny's bypassed the pecan pancakes or bnanana skillet for a moderate breakfast of ham slice, english muffin and seasonal fruit. :bigsmile:

Have "completed" my diary with what I WAS going to eat this evening,:sick: but after reading all your inspiring posts I think I'll backpedal a bit, and maybe even get down on that mat...

Hugs to all,
    animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day
    July: EVERY DAY: 3 fruits + 5 veggies, at least SOME mat work, average 10K steps, let it be. Really. and no hooch til the weekend!
    2012: dance more, bark less and CHECK IN!!!

matminutes: 7=0 6=28 5=18 4=0 3=20 2=20 1=33
    steps: 7=9391 6=9799 5=9705 4=11083 3=9913 2=12201 1=4561
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I Love it Michelle!!! And the answer is YES! WE ARE TOO SEXY!!!!! :bigsmile:
    Love Kat:heart::heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Rose, the scale at my house in the morning is the only one that gives me good news…..even so, I am a scale junkie and weigh myself whenever I see a scale.

:flowerforyou: Jb, when I lost weight, a friend told me that I had reinvented myself and I think that’s a great description of what happened.

:flowerforyou: Linda (Sundance) you are so right to start with one simple goal and take it one day at a time….later you can add another goal without overwhelming yourself

Amanda, I’m so sorry about your knee:sad:

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, sometimes when I fall asleep while reading, the book drops on Bernie, the cat, and scares him…..the only reason I get much reading done is that on the occasional night when I wake up in the middle of the night with my head racing, I move to the guest bed and read as long as it takes to get back to sleep.

:flowerforyou: Conniehv, don’t let anyone’s behavior keep you from reaching your goal…..go for a walk or meditate when the going gets tough

:bigsmile: Kathy, what great news that the water aerobics was good for your knee….I understand about keeping your food diary private…….I was thinking about someone who says “what should I do different?” but doesn’t share what she’s already doing.

:bigsmile: Sally, I love the quote

:flowerforyou: Marytallymom, welcome…….I have done Rodney Yee yoga and I love it.

:flowerforyou: Megblair1, have you tried Rodney Yee’s “Yoga for Beginners”? He says, “making the pose extreme has no importance”

:flowerforyou: Katiebug, it works better for me to not compare myself to anybody else……just make gradual improvements in your own walking and you’ll surprise yourself

:flowerforyou: M1311,good luck on your trip finding ways to exercise

:flowerforyou: Kackie, one day at a time you’ll get through the next week…..your family is so lucky to have you to help them through the stress of traveling.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, enjoy your weekend.

:flowerforyou: Chiclet , have you tried making a gratitude list in the morning before you start the day and focus on things that you have (sight, hearing, mobility----to name a few)….that helped me when my life was falling apart and I’ve been doing it ever since

:flowerforyou: Cloh72, this is a thread that has been going on for over three years……we start a new thread every month and many of us have been posting for months and years and love the support and encouragement

:flowerforyou: Michele, we grew golden beets when we had our farm…..yum yum

:laugh: I thought I could reply to everyone before I found out how many new faces there were (welcome to all of you) and how much some of you had written (thank you for all your honest and interesting sharing).

:bigsmile: The weather has been exceptional….we started the day by driving to the dump to take all the branches Jake pruned off the rhododendrons yesterday…..then I alternated working on my rock project with walking dogs and eating small meals…..finished the day by watching two of the fireworks programs we recorded on July 4.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    81824br5uyrfrsr.gif
    July resolutions:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning
    *100 Warrior III poses a day
    * planks every day
    *strength training three days a week
    *17,000 steps a day
    *act the way I want to feel
    *come from a place of love
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Spent the day with my daughter shopping- not my idea of fun, but we both had things we needed to pick up. We had lunch out and I ate more than I would like, but was able to stay within my calorie count. Just not as many veggies and fruit as I like.

I started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred today. I find any kind of jumping to be very tiring, but will keep at it. Right now I need something progressive that is very scripted. I really need to get these last 10 (or so) pounds off! I also got a series of yoga dvds for beginners. I am very inflexible. I have back problems that seem to get worse when I don't stretch enough. One of the dvds in this series concentrates on stretching. I know that if I move enough and in the right ways I can avoid the pain and stiffness.

I am so sorry to hear that so many are having pain in their knees. I spent 3 months on crutches last year due to a stress fracture and a torn tendon in my foot. I will never again take walking for granted. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for some of you to keep moving through the pain. Your perseverance motivates me. Any time I feel that something is too hard for me, I think of all you are doing.

I need to try to get some sleep. I slept very little last night- too hot. Tomorrow is day 2 of the shred and yoga dvds. I also need to get new running shoes and do laundry, chores, etc. If at all possible, I will try to sneak in a little time to work on my quilt. I agree with those who have said they have little time for things like quilting. Getting healthy is my first priority also and keeps me very busy, but I find that fitting in some time to be creative is also important for me. Of course all of my plans for tomorrow may change if the weather is good and DH wants to go kayaking. (I never say no to being on the water!)

Good night all!
    Deb A