The "Need" to Run

Options

Replies

• Jenvan78
    Jenvan78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running as well and agree that it gets addicting. Just watch it though and try to refrain from over doing it. I did it on week 6 and had to stop for two weeks..now I'm struggling with it again. Take it slow and steady.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Enjoy those endorphins and keep the momentum!

Welcome to the club!

:happy:
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I too have grown to love running. The PE coach couldn't threaten me with an F enough to get me to run in school... no way, no how did I run. I had to do laps, and I always walked. I just finished W4D1 of c25k today, but I've been playing with my running on the days I don't do c25k or rest from running. Yesterday, I bested my previous best with continually running for 11 minutes AND I averaged (with walking and running) a little under 11 minutes/mile, AND I ran for more than half of the entire 4.19 miles. :)

I've caught the bug too! I have a hard time making myself take rest days from running, but I know my body needs them.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You just became a runner. :D

Yep!
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's a rush! That is the beauty of running, it sparks a sense of victory in you.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! Isn't it odd and wonderful?

I started C25K a few weeks ago, but did what everyone says not to, I accelerated through the program without meaning to simply because I found more and more that I loved running. I'm now up to 5.5 miles with a couple mini walking intervals. I'm registered for two 5K's in the next month and thinking about about training for a 15k in the fall! You should do a race!!
  • Jeff0416
    Jeff0416 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Back last Oct. I was 212 lbs. I joined this site in January. Along with the resources from this site and exercising I am now down to 160 pounds and am currently maintaining. Along the way I also caught the running bug. I started out on a treadmill and 2.8 mph for 30 minutes was a great workout for me. I have now run 5 5k's. I have broken the 10 minute mile barrier :) I have bought running shoes, shorts, Garmin GPS etc. Yea I am addicted. If you like to read check out the Born to Run book. You can find it with the search on Amazon. By the way I am 56 years old and went 8 miles recently starting from my house. Hopefully I can keep this running thing going for a long while.
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have this feeling too! The desire to run, even though I'm tired and sore. Its just a great feeling..

Did the desire to run take you by surprise as well?

It surprises me! I hate it. And love it. I will put it off, but then miss it and get excited about doing it. It makes no sense to me, so I just buy cute running shoes and go with it. :)
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat a little more than a year ago, I didn't believe it myself back then. it gets very addictive to the point my personal trainer tells me not to run too much. Needless to say I have been listening to him some. Sometimes I get tattled on when his other clients say they saw me running somewhere about 3 or 4 miles away from home. He goes how was your run on Tuesday night, I say what are you talking about, he laughs, I laugh and I say who the F saw me. He's alright with it, he just doesn't want me to get burnt out. Needless to say I am thinking about a half marathon in October. Gulp.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Welcome.
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ha! Im a recent C25K grad and I had/have the same feeling. And Im not little either. I think its our bodies trying to tell us that it is happy!
    Congrats and good luck!
    Give me an add if you want. I'm continuing on to the 10k training program soon. Just working on getting my time down and distance up a bit first.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It's a rush! That is the beauty of running, it sparks a sense of victory in you.

Wow, I love that line! I will use that the next time I want to give up before the last mile I need to run
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ This!
    Way to go!!!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You are now officially an avid runner, congrats and welcome aboard!:drinker:
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you run, you're a runner! Congrats! Runners are so supportive - no matter what size, speed or how long you've been doing it, it's a very supportive community. I've been running about 6 years and have managed to avoid injury because I always take the advice that's been shared here very seriously - don't do too much too soon, increase speed or mileage very slowly over time. And listen to your body, rest when you need to and always be prepared to change your plans (time, distance, etc.) if it feels physically necessary.

You'd be amazed where running can lead. I'm training for my fifth marathon and this from the girl who always got picked last in gym!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    See? You're a member now. In good hands, and among friends!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

This. I've ran a couple of times in a day for the very same reason. Oddly enough, I get super sad, like tonight when I plan for a run and it doesn't happen. I also think there is something different about a "runner's high", endorphin wise. Happy trails!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    LOL...you are addicted...Just keep is slow, and fight the urge to overdo it in order to avoid injury....Have fun!

This^

In all seriousness though (speaking from recent experiences) read up on running, there's more to out then just putting your tennis shoes on and heading for the door (plus I found myself intrigued by the history of the sport) but I'm kind of a sports geek. Check out my recent post about my injury, you certainly don't want to end up in my shoes!

Congrats on your weight loss, and your major mind flip you did! You are a runner, embrace that and let it carry you further into your new lifestyle!
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options

I smiled when I saw this. I remember it happening to me! Congrats, and welcome to the family!
  • BellaAbrianna
    Options
    First off, a little background on me: I am a BIG guy- I am at 345+/- right now, down from 357. So can someone explain what this means?

Even though I finished Week 3 Day 3 of my 5K training regimen this morning, I ran again this evening. I have never felt the desire to run, ever. I felt it for the first time this evening. So I got up, got my running shoes on, and ran. 3.5 mph for 12 minutes and 29 seconds. It was amazing. I was tired, I was huffing and puffing at the end, but it felt WONDERFUL.

What just happened to me? Why did I feel (and still do, to some degree) this need to run? Is this common? I am pleased, but perplexed, because this is totally new territory for me.
    Dude! You just crossed over. Welcome to my world :)