I am eating ALL my exercise calories, 7/7/12

Options

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i tend to eat most of mine back too. I lost a lot of weight and kept it off until jan this year due to a personal tragedy. I found that i got skinny fat and wasnt very strong- so i think i lost a lot of lean mass. Now im going at it slow to lose the last 12lbs but im leaner and smaller than i was when i was last this weight. good luck on your journey. I never net under my bmr anymore
  • SusanCotter21
    SusanCotter21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am definitely interested in seeing how this works for you. I have noticed I definitely have more energy on the days I eat all of my calories, but am always wary of eating my exercise calories as well.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I too look forward to your progress reports.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bumpity bump! This is by far, to me, the best post written on the subject. I would love to follow your progress as well. I tried eating back for 4 weeks and gained 2 lbs....exercising more with that as well. You just opened a window of opportunity to see first hand what happens.:) Praying for your success friend! :)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I did get all my exercise including my new strength trainings logged if anyone wants to see those as well:) you can see I started out pretty easy and I did them all one set. I prefer to do it that way. I just went til the burn got too much, LOL!!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I think it is really giving me a boost already, even if it's just a new attitude:) I LOVE your pup, how darling:) ttys! denise
    bumpity bump! This is by far, to me, the best post written on the subject. I would love to follow your progress as well. I tried eating back for 4 weeks and gained 2 lbs....exercising more with that as well. You just opened a window of opportunity to see first hand what happens.:) Praying for your success friend! :)
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Love this post and look forward to following your progress. Good luck :drinker:

Ditto!!!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Can't wait to see how it works for you. I have no idea what I believe about eating back exercise calories or not, because I've just honestly not researched enough. But I'll be watching you here and cheering you on!
  • Chetanpayne
    Options
    Love your post! I agree you too. I work with a nutritionist and she said to take a block of time and use it like a scientific experiment and see what works for you! She said also that it is proven that those who write down what they eat lose more and keep it off than those who do not. I am curious, what is an Ft4. Is that what you called it? Is that a heart rate monitor? If so, I use one of them on my treadmill and I do try to stay between the numbers. I also do a lot of interval training. Kathy Smith, a fitness guru, says that is one of the best way to get more bang for your workout buck. She has a audio that does a guided workout that I have used.
    Anyway, keep us posted. I love your outlook and your advice!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    wtg!! I am excited about the changes I just truly believe are going to take place. They already are as far as energy. Lastnight the last thing I had, well, not true, I had popcorn last, LOL, but anyway, I drank a protein smoothee I made from scratch. I heard it helps rebuild my poor, ole muscles, LOL:) I was worried it might keep me awake or something but I slept like a log and was glad getting up this a.m. at 6, felt great and went for my walk first thing;)

I am sorry to hear about your heartache:( I am so glad you were aware of the lean mass loss. I think that is a huge problem when people don't see the problem. Or can shrug a lack of energy off to being normal. Actually, I don't think it is normal at all. I think it is our bods telling us we need something more like fuel, rest, water I don't know, just some of my theory. Happy to meet you, Denise:)
    i tend to eat most of mine back too. I lost a lot of weight and kept it off until jan this year due to a personal tragedy. I found that i got skinny fat and wasnt very strong- so i think i lost a lot of lean mass. Now im going at it slow to lose the last 12lbs but im leaner and smaller than i was when i was last this weight. good luck on your journey. I never net under my bmr anymore
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I will try and post some here as well but I will send you a friend request so you can check in on my diaries as well!! So glad we are both here;) Denise
    Thank you for the post. I too look forward to your progress reports.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    It is scarey for me too but I don't think there is need for it. I really feel it will be worth it for me to find if it works, and I know I am not harming my bod, especially at my age. Glad we've hooked up!! I am having a great time and very excited, one day at a time;) :drinker: :flowerforyou:
    I am definitely interested in seeing how this works for you. I have noticed I definitely have more energy on the days I eat all of my calories, but am always wary of eating my exercise calories as well.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    ty finally:) Looking forward to a whole, new life-style and just life in general:) So grateful for all you that have come to MFP! denise
    Love this post and look forward to following your progress. Good luck :drinker:

Ditto!!!
  • callikelly
    callikelly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.

I was a bit confused with the whole calories thing. To lose weght MFP says I should eat 1200 calories. So I've been eating 1200 calories and then working out to Jillian DVD's and walking, which can be about 700 calories.

That's all I thought I had to do stay to 1200, and then burn off whatever and the weight would come flying off.

Last week I didn't lose anything after weeks or losing (1.5-3). So I guess my question to everyone on this thread is, Is it okay to eat those 700 calories back and not gain weight? Because I really don't want to gain the 9.5 lbs back that i've lost since May 31st.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thank you so much and I hope it helps. I will send you a friend request then you can see all my logs(food and exercise). You can also kick me if I am not keeping my commitment:laugh: :embarassed: Wow, I have given that offer to quite a few people so I best follow through :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:
    Good luck! Can't wait to see how it works for you. I have no idea what I believe about eating back exercise calories or not, because I've just honestly not researched enough. But I'll be watching you here and cheering you on!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Well darlin, there are lots of different opinions and ideas, that's why I am going to try it. I tried the other way, not eating my exercise calories and became weak and my muscles did not feel like they were becoming stronger, or, like they were rebuilding after workouts. This was just after 41 ish days. So, here I am to try the other way:) I think it's something we all have to discover for ourselves, come to believe, what is actually making us stronger and getting rid of fat stores. Thing is, like I think I mentioned, that scale doesn't separate out what kind of "weight" a person is losing. It could be fat, it could be water, and it could be lean, muscle mass.

I think listening to what each person has to say, look at results of those that have done it different ways, and there is always a good, doctors opinion as well. You can look at before and afters in Success Stories and see which you most want to resemble. Then you can friend up with them, see what they eat, what is their exercise routine, do they eat their exercise calories. Lots of input and support here on MFP:)

denise:drinker: :drinker:

I was a bit confused with the whole calories thing. To lose weght MFP says I should eat 1200 calories. So I've been eating 1200 calories and then working out to Jillian DVD's and walking, which can be about 700 calories.

That's all I thought I had to do stay to 1200, and then burn off whatever and the weight would come flying off.

Last week I didn't lose anything after weeks or losing (1.5-3). So I guess my question to everyone on this thread is, Is it okay to eat those 700 calories back and not gain weight? Because I really don't want to gain the 9.5 lbs back that i've lost since May 31st.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories ..... YES
    Eat all of them ....................... Maybe

Definitely eat exercise calories. If you dont you will struggle to have the energy to exercise. Especially if you are on a low calorie diet and exercising lots. However ..... eating all of them requires some care.

You need to ensure that you are able to ACCURATELY record all calories eaten AND all calories burned.
    Most people tend to underestimate the calories they are putting in their mouths and overestimate the calories burned (even the MFP values are usually on the high side).

If you eat all your exercise calories based on false information you could find that you are actually eating too much. There are two ways to avoid this problem:
    1) Dont eat all the exercise calories (personally I usually leave a 200-300 buffer)
    or 2) Set your weekly weight loss goal a little higher creating an extra buffer - if you set to lose 2lbs a week you have a 3500 per week calorie buffer to still lose 1lb a week.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options

:noway: omg babe, if you are not eating back your exercise cals, then you are only netting about 500 cals a day. That is seriously unhealthy. No wonder you haven't lost, your body is desperatly holding onto any fuel it can get to sustain you. Please eat back those cals, I'm worried about you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to following your progress
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good for you, it certainly worked for me.
    I just don't see the point in deprivation, that's never going to be sustainable long term!