Dr Oz love him or hate him?

Options
124»

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I dont like him... he has a face that says punch me, Im a moron...its true and you know it! :laugh:

I like you.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    I dont like him... he has a face that says punch me, Im a moron...its true and you know it! :laugh:

I like you.

Well thank you, I am pretty likable :glasses:
  • brazelmama
    brazelmama Posts: 25
    Options
    Well I don't hate the guy but I think he gives some really bad information. I love his explanation of medical terms/ tests/ organs in simple terms. People seem to respond to him and that is why he has his own show. I had a eye opening moment when he showed the omentum of someone who was only 20 pounds overweight! It was this HUGE sheet of fat, that shocked the heck out of me. I thought to myself heck all that fat is squeezing my organs no wonder I feel so bad. He does seem to push lots of pills and gimmicks thought which is sad.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I think at one point, when his show first began, he may have been credible. However, I believe that now his show has turned "gimicky" and can even offer unhealthy advice ie exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

YES! It's like he's a paid advertiser now. I don't believe a word he says anymore because I"m wondernig where he's getting his info. He pushes pills for just about everything... can't even watch him anymore
  • chargers8709
    chargers8709 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    His show has definitely changed. He is always pushing pills. Not as credible
    as before. I wish the old Dr. Oz would come back!
  • duckie59
    duckie59 Posts: 2
    Options
    Watch him, but take his information with a grain of salt. I've noticed the contradictory statements for a long time. Still, I check his statements out for myself. If nothing else, we have successfully given up salt (hidden salt too!) due to him. Our doctor is thrilled too!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've only caught his show in the waiting area of my physician but to me he's like a younger version of Dr Phil, only a different gimmick. He's just someone I can't take seriously. You can give out credible advice without needing a TV show.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Didn't know who he was until I looked him up online a few minutes ago - couldn't resist doing his calorie count quiz (got 70%)!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't hate him. I think he's another manufactured celebrity like Dr. Phil and the Jersey Shore cast.
    ^^This. I don't trust Dr's who push things that they are getting paid to push.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    He's a commercial pretty much. He'll promote the latest thing just for money! I don't think he really cares about health, just the money mostly since the stuff he promotes is short term.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do not like his show...I don't really learn too much from it. It seems like all they ever do on that show is discuss things like "what normal poop/pee looks/smells like" or "is it safe to wax your embarrassing *kitten* hair??". The other day they seriously had every member of the audience hold a sample of their urine in a cup for the entire episode and had the people sniffing their pee and whatnot on national TV. I will say sometimes it is hard to change the channel in the way that it's hard to look away from a train wreck!
  • ronaldmcyd
    ronaldmcyd Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Why do people compare him to Dr Phil? :huh: Dr Oz is actually a doctor, I have mixed feelings about the guy but come on Dr Phil?

Don't answer that
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I would never take antioxidant supplements, but there is good to be found in eating the antioxidant rich foods that you can grow in your own garden, meaning old fashioned fruits and vegetables, tea and nuts (if they make you feel good. We all need to eat something, lol).

The only supplements I take are vitamin D (we do not get enough sun here) and fish oil (I hate eating actual fish).
  • CajunNino
    CajunNino Posts: 269
    Options
    :indifferent:
    Indifferent towards Dr. Oz.

I believe there's already too much love and hate for people in the spotlight.
    For every 100 diet / fitness / health sites.....there are about 5 you can trust.
    Having said that.... far too many everyday people claim to know everything about weight-loss, nutrition, bodybuilding, you name it. JUST ASK THEM!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i take it as a form of entertainment,
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Dr.Oz i think is a very good informative tv show. The only thing is all the stuff he shows you for healthy eating, you can never find it it local stores! Also if you watch Dr. Oz and the also watch the Doctors they contradict each other so you dont know what is actually good or not.

The "Doctors" annoy me. I never watch them on my time, but they're always on at the dentist. They lost ALL credibility when they kept referring to the penis as "that thing down there". :huh:
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ok, this may sound crazy, but...I don't watch tv. Who is this dr. Oz fellow? Perhaps I'll google him...albeit, from what I'm reading on this thread, he won't be worth my time lol.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I have never watched his show (I dont' really watch TV) and in fact I couldn't pick the guy out of a line-up. However, after seeing multiple instances of people posting diet myths as "fact" here on MFP and citing Dr. Oz as a source, I have no respect for the man. I'll continue living in blissful ignorance of his nonsense :drinker:
  • TarynLgh
    TarynLgh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well, I'll go against most in here but I like him. I don't take to heart every little thing he says. But, for me, I hear of things I normally wouldn't that might help me. He's not MY doctor so I don't start anything without a ton of research anyway to find out if it's for me. And actually, my doctor has me on some of the supplements he talks about anyway.

See the problem is quite a few Doctors; like all people in business, have a bottom line.

My doctor recommended to me a thermogenic supplement to "boost" my metabolism. It amounted to Vitamin D (the only worthwhile thing in it, but sorry, not a fat burner), Caffeine/Green Tea, and Acai berry. In other words it was your typical snake oil "fat burner hurr durr antioxidents" supplement that people shill all the time; and it was coming from my physician who is a veteran in the field, experienced, and one of the top rated in Dallas.

When I declined and said it was crap, he just smiled and said, "Well worth a shot!"

Things like Raspberry Ketones? Acai Berry? Horsesh*t.

Raspberry Ketones is just pure "someone had to have been blackout drunk to come up with this" nonsense, especially for fat loss. Acai berry? Decent tasting berry, funny how Brazilians (where most acai berries come from) don't give near as much a **** about it as the rest of the world looking for a magical quick fix. Interesting note? Acai berry loses absurd amounts of its actual nutritional value in the various ways it is packaged and sold; not that it had much in the first place compared to many other cheaper and easily obtainable fruits. If you want Vitamin C and fruit based polyphenals eat some friggin blueberries or strawberries. I guarantee they are cheaper.

Unless you have some pre-diagnosed medical condition that warrants it, about the only things you should even consider supplementing are fish oil, vitamin d, and a multi...the only one I would even consider crucial being the vitamin d. The rest is completely optional if you are eating an even remotely balanced diet and not even every day at that.

I don't get into the fads, keytones and such. With 4 kids, I don't have time to chase that stuff down. If I can't find it quick at Kroger - forget it. My doc has me on B-Complex, D and calcium as a way to get post partum depression under control before it turned into something that actually need a rx. I just never stopped taking them. Then, I still take a prenatal vitamin too.

But he does give different ideas like different oils to use in cooking that is a little healthier and no taste difference. And I do like that he compares things and shows real body parts and fluids and stuff. Not so much for weight loss information but general things to look for that might be something of concern.