Thoughts on Subway? Other 'healthy' food places?

Options

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Subway is awesome if you make smart choices. The grilled chicken breast is wonderful.

TIP: Ask to have your bread scooped!! They will scoop out the inner parts of the bread leaving you with a shell and a ton less calories and carbs. They post nutri info for scooped sandwiches, too! Love me some Subway!!!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    My opinion of Subway went way down when I saw the ingredient list for the thing they sell as a chicken breast. I naively thought it was a hunk of chicken breast, not a shaped, colored, chemical concoction with some chicken breast meat in it.
    The chicken breast patty comes from rib meat, and also contains water, corn syrup, vinegar powder, corn starch, tapioca, brown sugar, salt, dextrose, garlic powder, onion powder and chicken-type flavor made from corn gluten, yeast extract and preservatives.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/346382-subway-grilled-chicken-nutrition/#ixzz204swNZIM

My favorite ingredient is "chicken-type flavor made from corn gluten"!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    The only sandwiches i get from Subway are the tuna, or the Veggie Delight. But since i'm in the process of losing weight, i'll stick with the latter choice.
  • kelleymj
    kelleymj Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I occasionally eat at Subway....Veggie delite sub on oat honey 9 grain roll (4 grams of fiber)...veggies include cucumber, spinach, tomatoe, onion, green peppers, jalapeno, red peppers!!!! Yummy! According to Subway for a 6" Veggie delite sub....230 calories, if you add cheese and a dressing it is more. I usually get honey mustard dressing...lower calorie!
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat and I get a footlong cheese and veggie sub- it fills me up all day because I split it up for lunch and dinner. I think its great.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    NATURE'S TABLE= sneaky place. Great food, gives the fresh whole food healthy image... but holy cow!! some of their meals have a ton of calories... although I usually see high sodium as the major offender too.. honestly, that the problem with most places... too much sodium- and sometimes you can't even taste it!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    As far as a fast food type food place it ranks fairly high for me. I can ask for gluten free and still enjoy a sandwich. The quality of calories is better than having a hamburger and fries in my opinion.

I also like to go to Taco Time and get a Baja Taco its only 180 calories.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have to eat out often. If I do subway, I like the turkey salad with fat free sweet onion dressing. Salads at any restaruant will do . IHOP has menu items under 500 calories, Applebees has menu items under 600 calories. If the restaurant does not have low calories, I go with low carb and that helps.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    lunch meat = high sodium
    honestly better off making your own hoagie with low salt lunch meats
    and any place that has a good salad works for me

Agree!!!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I think if it comes between a choice of going and getting a whopper and onion rings, or a bucket of chicken and pretend mashed potatoes, or a nacho bell grande with extra sides of cheese and or a few tacos... You should go to Subway!
    I don't see why people always have a problem with them... sodium? Okay, well I'm not a person that cares that much about sodium right now- I have great blood pressure and I'm not worried about the extra .8 of a pound this week.
    I'm more worried about the cholesterol, grease, lard, overly processed , fat and calories. The ones that probably contributed to the 40 lbs I'm trying to lose!
    I think Subway is a great alternative to a quick meal on the go... with fresher items, more veggies and healthier options. And if you need to throw a little salt in the meat, than so be it. :tongue:
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Subway is not healthy. That's a massive amount of bread you would be consuming.

It's called moderation. And nobody is forcing you to order a foot long.
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options

exactly. RARE do I get a footlong, almost ALWAYS get a 6" and throw away the end hunk when the meat is gone.
  • SilverLuma
    SilverLuma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been fighting my weight my whole life. When I was about 14 I was able to lose like 50 lbs and get down to 120 lbs. I think I was16 when I started working at subway as a part-time job. For the first 6 months or so I ate veggie salads with oil and vinegar, the veggie delight with no cheese and low fat dressing, or the turkey sandwich with oil/vinegar. I didn't gain any weight and I ate those things like 5 times a week. However, when I started eating their other sandwiches I began to put on pounds very quickly. I think by the time I was done working there I had gained back 25 of the 50 I had originally lost. Stick with wheat bread if you are going to get a sandwich. And stick with turkey if you want to get meat. All in all though, for fast food it has some options that aren't as bad as other fast food places. Would a sandwich you made at home be better for you, and possibly taste better? Probably. But that's not always an option. I say all in all it's not too bad.
  • girlonfire15
    girlonfire15 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think any kind of fast food place can basically be as healthy as you make it. It's a lot easier to get something healthy at Subway, but that doesn't mean everything you get there will be healthy.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    I eat Subway when we have no idea what to have for dinner or when my boyfriend is over and there isn't anything in to make, we get subs for lunch. A new one just opened up not long ago, a walk away from me. I either get turkey on 6" whole wheat, light mayo, honey mustard, Swiss, lettuce and onions or chicken with a soup if it's for dinner. Lunch is just a 6".

If you're sodium sensitive, it's a bad choice. But if you're fine with sodium, enjoy it! Live a little, people. It is a better choice if you want to eat out. Or you could go for McDonald's or Burger King. You're choice when eating out.

Also, nobody is forcing you to eat a full sub. Get a soup with a 6" or a salad with a soup.
  • alexbusnello
    Options

exactly. RARE do I get a footlong, almost ALWAYS get a 6" and throw away the end hunk when the meat is gone.

I throw away the hunk of bread at the end sometimes, too. Lol
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I've always really like subway!! If you are out and hungry, and want fast food.. Subway is alright! You just really have to watch your choices.
  • cherisekntz
    cherisekntz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I got online and found the nutrition info for all of the fast food places around and printed them out. that way you will know what you can have that keeps you in your limits :) When I go to mc donalds I get the grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo (you could replace the mayo with mustard if you want) and a fruit and walnut salad and that comes out to be 510 and you get great nutrition from it. You could also lose the bun and the sandwich goes from 300 to 130. That to tal would then be 340!
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am on the road a bunch for work, so Subway has been where I have went quite a bit. I have been able to keep calories down that way. Usually do a 6'' turkey on flatbread with veggies, and mustard. I have also went to Jimmy Johns and got the turkey in a unwhich (lettuce wrap) I don't usually want to take the time to stop and eat so it is on the run (happens when you have 150 to 550 miles a day) So far Subway is working, but like everybody says a bit on the salty side!