Favorite things to do with an Avocado

Options
BobsLittleBird
BobsLittleBird Posts: 28 Member
Although high in Calories and to be enjoyed in moderation one of my favorite foods is Avocados.

I just tried avocados for the first time this year so any recipes would be awesome.

List your favorite way to use Avocado or your favorite recipe for them.

As Guacamole

-1 Avocado
-1/4 to 1/2 cup salsa
-juice from 1/2 a lime
-some cilantro if you like it.

Avocado Fun Fact: A medium avocado has about 12 grams of fiber. Wow! To get that much fiber you would have to eat 3 cups of blueberries, or 3 cups of broccoli, or 1 cup dry oats.

"Get me an avocado, an ice pick and my snorkel"

Replies

• BobsLittleBird
    Options
    Are there really no other Avocado lovers out there?
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocados!

My favorite way to eat them is avocado, almond milk, and agave or honey or some other sweetener, and sometimes I'll put protein powder in it. Just mash it all together and put it in the freezer in ice cube molds. I like to keep it in my freezer and eat one whenever I want something sweet :)
  • BobsLittleBird
    Options
    That sounds sooo nummy!!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I love avocado too. I can eat it just by itself with salt! Or I make my own guac: just avocado, diced red onion, diced tomato, lime juice, fresh cilantro and salt. Or I'll slice it up and put it on sandwiches.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I live in a town that used to be the largest avocado producer in the world before large-scale commercial production began in Mexico, so we have avos coming out our ears most the year. I love them, you can use them in all sorts of ways. I mostly eat them plain with a little salt and pepper, sometimes some hot sauce. They're good on sandwiches, in burritos, on top of rice and beans (or pretty much any Mexican dish) or I love them on omelets. You can even make ice-cream or fudge with them. Here's a common recipe used for fudge- http://vegetarian.about.com/od/desertrecipes/r/avofudge.htm
    They also make a good moisturizing hair or face mask. It's a pretty versatile fruit.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Avocado Salsa!!!

Avocado
    Tomatillo
    Onion
    Garlic Clove
    Salt
    Cilantro
    Jalapeno

Blend together. Enjoy with whatever dinner you make. Yum!!!
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    One of THE most perfect foods!! I eat a half an avocado almost every day!!! Love it just sliced with a small sprinkle of salt and some chopped cilantro. Love it on any and all salads. Love it mashed and spread in a sandwich (but don't eat bread now but recommend it to this that do). Great in omlets. Mix in a blender with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and hummus for a wonderful salad dressing....I could go on and on!!!! Dang, now I'm hungry!!!! Enjoy!!
  • BobsLittleBird
    Options
    I would have never thought to put it on omelets!! I gotta try that this week.

I haven't graduated to eating them straight out of the shell yet but I have a feeling it is coming soon.
  • BobsLittleBird
    Options
    OMG Avocado Fudge!!

whoever thought of that was a genius. If I would not have just made tofu chocolate mouse I would be making this today!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I prefer it plain or on a sandwich.
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    peel it and eat it...yum....yum...
  • PAZlady
    PAZlady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just smash up a third of avo and use it in place of mayo on sandwich.
  • lenema
    lenema Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love it in my protein shake ! plain greek yogurt, frozen strawberries, handful of baby spinach, almond milk, 1 T. of chia seeds, and anywhere from 1 to 2 ounces of avocado. So creamy, good, and filling!
  • igsalem
    igsalem Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like to have just slices of avocadoes but I don't usually want to eat the whole avocado at once....my problem is keeping it to stay fresh...it turns brown really quickly for me. I've tried to leave the pit in the other half...I heard that helps it. Anyone like to share their suggestions??
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I love avocados:)
    I use them:
    in omelets,or on top of scrambled eggs
    with tuna and shredded cheese(then scoop with tortilla chisp!)
    in or on top of any mexican food
    in salad

Love the idea of replacing mayo with it!...im not the biggest mayo fan anyways..and since ive cut out mayo...ive been having dry bread when i do have it(gluten free)
  • jul6768
    jul6768 Posts: 2
    Options
    Avo with tuna. Esp the flavored tuna in the pouches.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Half it, remove pit amd fill it with Salsa, or hummus. I like it right out of the shell plasin as well. It's the perfect food. We just planted two Mexicola Avocado trees, can't wait for them to produce.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Tuna
    avocado chopped
    tomato chopped
    red onion chopped
    cilantro
    lime juice
    Hand mix together and....

scoop with homemade tortilla chips...yum
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I just eat the avocado LOL, love them plain or sliced for avocado sandwiches
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    I love avocado! I can not be trusted to make guacamole because I will eat it all but I do eat it in my salads some nights.