Someone threatened me

Options

Replies

• DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have never spoken a word to this man. I was taking pictures and he thought i was taking a picture of him. Thats when he spewed all that crap to me. I have seen this man trying to break into my neighbors house before. Those are the only times I have seen him.

1. I cannot move. I cannot afford it
    2. I did nothing wrong. Wrong place at the wrong time.
    3. There are only 4 patrol cars in my town. Since I live in a **** neighborhood they are around but sometimes it takes 30+ minutes to get them to my house.
    4. I haven't had much luck with police officers. The one I spoke with today was one of the better ones.
    5. I can't afford the gun or classes. I am unemployed.

How do you afford a house, phone or internet if you are unemployed?

Are you kidding me?? What kind of question is that?? Ever hear of unemployment compensation??
  • KHoiriis
    KHoiriis Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Seriously can not believe that guns are just an everyday thing in america...it's scary!! :noway:

I thought the same thing. It's sounds so weird. And please, I"m not insulting Americans. But a Canadian wouldn't even have that option. We couldn't even buy pepper spray. The best we could do is go to an outdoors/camping store and buy some bear spray.

Well thats how we became Americans now isnt it. We are our own militia. I can not imagine waiting for a police officer to arrive to protect me. The crime would be over and done with by the time they show up. Where I live we have one cop and he goes home at 10pm. The coyotes and bears get too close to my house, saying shoo wont make them go away. I need protection. There are parts of America where guns are not allowed, but I live in NH and our motto is Live Free or Die! God Bless.

I agree with the last comment. America is based on individual rights and the freedom to bear arms to protect ourselves. That is what makes us American. I once called the police and it took them 45 minutes to get to my house. So I bought a gun. If the police can't protect me, then I will protect myself. To me, it is taking responsibility for protecting oneself.

Many women deal with physical and verbal abuse in this country. As a nurse, I see the results of that abuse - rape, beatings, etc. Women need to realize that they are the weaker sex as far as strength. They also need to realize that they are worth something and do not need to put up with this crap. The police not filing the report is like the good ole boys letting the pervert get away with abusing a woman. They probably got a good laugh from it for an hour or two. "Yeah, stupid ..... can't even deal with someone calling her names." "Yeah, she probably did something to bring it on."

You know, I was a paramedic for several years and it really irked me when I would be called to a domestic and the police would ask the woman what she did to cause her spouse/boyfriend/whatever to slap her around. The truth is that the woman probably did nothing more than serve dinner two minutes late or maybe put the gravy on the potatoes and he didn't like that. Men who abuse do so because they can get away with it, because the woman won't report it or the police won't file a complaint and arrest the abuser. The woman most likely did nothing wrong. To the OP, you did nothing wrong. You need to call the police and make them file a report. Chances are, this guy will eventually harm someone - maybe a woman or a child. If a trail of abusive behavior is established, there is a better chance the guy will get the help he needs or be put in jail.

APPLAUSE..... my hats off to you!
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    Did you mean there's 4 cops in your neighborhood or 4 cops in a town of 95,000 people? I don't see how 4 cops could even cover the shifts reguired for 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I live in virginia and I've gone to some pretty small towns and they had more cops than that. Is it possible that there is overlapping law enforcement in your area? Example... town/city cops and then Deputies or State boys that have additional jurisdiction. Call your local state police office and tell them your situation and ask if they can assist you or advise you. Also to my knowledge you have the legal right to file a complaint yourself so their is documentation of the incident. This is imperative in situations where harrassement is involved. You have to have documentation for a restraining order so that if you need to go before the magistrate or judge they have something to work with. Restraining orders are only paper though..if you get one YOU have to follow the steps to have it enforced.

As for the gun... if you buy one be prepared to use it. NEVER pull out a gun to "scare" someone. You have no way of knowing how they will react or how you will react. Everyone thinks they will pull out a gun like in the movies and the bad guy will just run. If you point a gun at someone be prepared to pull the trigger. Firearm training is a responsibilty of gun ownership for your own safety. Also verify what the laws are in your area are regarding this as well. Dont assume that you can just pull a gun out in front of your house and point it at someone because they yell obscenities at you or they act crazy. You could be the one going to jail instead of them. Pepper spray is a good alternative in the meantime till you decide whether you want to go the gun route. Self defenses classes as well...
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a gun permit and start to carry. You cant rely on anyone else to protect you but yourself.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Get some police-strength mace (I like Sabre or Spitfire). Make sure it is the kind with dye. I get mine from Quartermasters. Get some that fits your hand well and get a few test canisters so you can get comfortable using it. Also keep an eye on the expiration date on the canister so you replace it when it expires. Mace is no use if it won't spray. Also carry a tactical flashlight (I like Coast). They are small and fit your hand and you can blind the hell out of someone and at least give yourself time to get away. Blind with the flashlight, spray with mace and run like hell. The dye will color the person for a few days so the police will know it's the right person and they can't deny it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Check the laws in your area before you buy a taser or pepper spray or mace. Some areas do restrict what you can carry.
  • jamies76
    jamies76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'd like to preface my next bit of advice with this: I think it's absolutely disgusting that I even have to give it. :(

When you DO approach the police department about this, be calm and diplomatic. (Because yeah, like it's really your responsibility after you've been victimized.) :( Say something along the lines of: "YOU are trained to defend yourself and are armed but had this guy been threatening to come shoot YOU, you would not have simply blown him off as being 'boisterous'. I am NOT trained defend myself or am armed, so why wouldn't you take it seriously when he's threatening to shoot ME?? What if I had been your girlfriend/wife, mother, sister, or any female in your life? Would you have blown it off THEN??"

Because people unfortunately being what they are, if you anger or humiliate them when you pursue the matter they might end up holding a grudge against you and be of even less help than they already have been. :( It is ridiculous that you have to use psychology and tiptoe around fragile egos to get someone to do their job when you're the one who's been wronged.
  • jamies76
    jamies76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh, and OP, I'm sorry I missed the bit about not being able to afford classes.

However, some places offer free classes. If there aren't any then try approaching a studio, explaining what happened, and ask if there's some sort of trade you can make with them such as cleaning, etc...
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Forget the CCP.
    You are in California and the cost is absolutly stupid.
    However, you CAN buy a shotgun for home defense.
    Obviously it won't do you any good outside of your homw but, if the dirtbag decides to break in, it will be the last mistake he ever makes.
    Load the first round with birdshot for a gaurenteed hit. The rest are slugs.

You can pickup a used 12 gauge on the cheap.

That is what I am talking about a shotgun... it's hard to miss with one and they aren't very expensive....
  • jsmith0644
    jsmith0644 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you decide to buy a gun then I'll tell you what I told my wife, "be ready to use it with with little notice or reservation". I'm sorry this happened to you, I really am. We can all offer you solutions but we aren't there. Heres how I learned it in the Marines, you live, the rest is just a matter of paperwork.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have never spoken a word to this man. I was taking pictures and he thought i was taking a picture of him. Thats when he spewed all that crap to me. I have seen this man trying to break into my neighbors house before. Those are the only times I have seen him.

1. I cannot move. I cannot afford it
    2. I did nothing wrong. Wrong place at the wrong time.
    3. There are only 4 patrol cars in my town. Since I live in a **** neighborhood they are around but sometimes it takes 30+ minutes to get them to my house.
    4. I haven't had much luck with police officers. The one I spoke with today was one of the better ones.
    5. I can't afford the gun or classes. I am unemployed.

How do you afford a house, phone or internet if you are unemployed?

i know this was just a question, but if it is not an inquisitive question and more of an attack, you are totally ignorant. people in poverty, or underemployed, or unemployed, can acquire benefits from the government and/or have assistance from their family, or savings.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    So a man threatened me today.

This is what he said
    "I'm gonna show you my c**k you stupid b**ch. You don't know me. I have a gun. I'll shoot you. Go call the police you b**ch" and that is when the cops showed up.

However, the cops said that since he wasn't affiliated with a gang I shouldn't worry. They didn't even bother filling out a police report. Now, as a female when someone says they are going to shoot me, I consider this a threat.

I feel like I should have done more. Should I have gotten in his face? Should I have made threats back? This man lives in my neighborhood and I fear he is going to try something. Whether it be poisoning my dog, hurting me or destroying my property.

What could be done about this?

I'm not pro-gun, but I say learn to shoot and get a weapon. Next time he comes on your property, ventilate him.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Forget the CCP.
    Obviously it won't do you any good outside of your homw but, if the dirtbag decides to break in, it will be the last mistake he ever makes.

That is what I am talking about a shotgun... it's hard to miss with one and they aren't very expensive....

That works.
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options
    A gun is a bad idea. Unless you have training you are going to miss and maybe get shot. Depending on the state there are lots of options. You can try giving the Guardian Angels a call. http://www.guardianangels.org/chapters.php

This and talk to other neighbors. Def let the police know you saw him trying to break into neighbors. They should know that for sure.

No restraining order is useless. It gets you into court and judge will determine IF you deserve one. Most judges say no.:sad:

Also carry an ink pen on you. If you are ever attacked USE it! Go for upper like the face. It is NOT a weapon and cannot be classified as such. - I got that from a cop when I had a serious stalker. No like I said restraining order doesn't work. They will just disappear by the time you call cops and they actually arrive.:grumble:

Yes be smart always know where you are and avoid any dangerous places or times.
    sad we're the ones locked up and damn criminals allowed to roam free! :noway:

Also put camera away! This guy is a criminal. Sounds like from reaction he done something criminal and doesn't want to be identified.:devil:

Be careful and stay safe:flowerforyou:
  • Hartbeatak
    Hartbeatak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Dude, seriously?! A .38 in her bra? How about a S&W .500 in your shorts...
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Get some police-strength mace (I like Sabre or Spitfire). Make sure it is the kind with dye. I get mine from Quartermasters. Get some that fits your hand well and get a few test canisters so you can get comfortable using it. Also keep an eye on the expiration date on the canister so you replace it when it expires. Mace is no use if it won't spray. Also carry a tactical flashlight (I like Coast). They are small and fit your hand and you can blind the hell out of someone and at least give yourself time to get away. Blind with the flashlight, spray with mace and run like hell. The dye will color the person for a few days so the police will know it's the right person and they can't deny it.

This.
    I sell both Spitfire and Sabre at my store. They are 3-in-1, which means they have UV dye, pepper and OC gas. Even one burst and unless homie is on PCP, he will go down. They usually are good for 5 years but don't leave them in your car if its hot.
    5.11 has a few different small flashlights that fit easily in our hands...sometimes what's small for a man is large for us. Try the PLX or one of the ATAC lights. The PLX is pretty economical, less than $40.
    I live and work in the Stockton area. This is the murder capital of Cali. I have to walk three blocks from my parking structure to my store. Its in an extremely bad part of town. Often I am alone, though at night there are two of us. I don't walk like I'm scared (though I am). Don't look like a victim.
    I've never had problems other than guys trying to get my number, and these guys just aren't any loser. Usually they're parolees or 290's (sex offenders) that live in the halfway homes around my store. I just say no, firmly. They dont f uck with me anymore. It really sucks out there. I'm also shopping around for a gun.
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Forget the CCP.

I'd discourage slugs for use indoors. 00 buck shot would be very effective and wouldn't be as likely (hopefully) to shoot the neighbors too.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Check the laws in your area before you buy a taser or pepper spray or mace. Some areas do restrict what you can carry.

while this is true, you can always get bear or dog spray, it is relatively the same thing.

i would rather be charged with carrying a weapon than be assaulted. thanks.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A gun is a bad idea. Unless you have training you are going to miss and maybe get shot. Depending on the state there are lots of options. You can try giving the Guardian Angels a call. http://www.guardianangels.org/chapters.php

He recommended getting a concealed weapons permit...this would require a minimum of an eight hour class (pending which state you're in) in which you are educated on gun safety and tested on your ability to shoot. I'm all about one's right to bear arms....although I will say more states should require background checks on persons taking permit classes/purchasing firearms.

Thank GOD I live in NH. Wet to the PD grabbed the application filled it out, turned it in with my check. Following week had my permit. Took classes on my own and practice when I can. 11 miles from my home a woman was brutally murdered by a bunch of teenage punks. LIVE FREE OR DIE

I'm not sure how I feel about this...I really do feel like there should be some training and testing. I mean, if all you do is go get an application and are granted a permit without any proof of your ability any idiot could just go get a handgun permit. AND I am in no way, shape or form implying you don't know how to handle a handgun (kudos for following up with classes on your own)...just saying that there are some people who could and probably would get their handgun permit just because they can and they think it's cool.

Well you do have to pass a background check. But here hunting is a way of life and that trade is passed down generation to generation. Fathers teach their sons and daughters. Here in NH we have a very low crime rate, so there arent too many idiots with guns. In Washington DC where guns are banned, there are more gun related crimes and deaths than anywhere else in the country.

I guess i am talking more about hand guns. Hunting is a way of life in Canada too. My husband ownes several guns for hunting. It's just culture shock, I guess. Getting a permit for a hand gun in Canada is pretty involved. We aren't even really allowed to defend ourselves. There was a restaurant owner in Toronto who threw hot pepper flakes into the face of an intruder and he is being charged for assault............seriously.
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that this male failed to treat you the way a woman should be treated. He isn't a man, he is merely male.

Here is my advice.

1. Do NOT confront this person on purpose.
    2. If you are forced to interact with him, don't act like a victim.
    3. Awareness and Avoidance are your best friends to keep you out of trouble. Do you best to steer clear of this nut job.
    4. Alex Haddox has an excellent FREE podcast called Practical Defense. I'd suggest listening to it for ideas/reassurance. You can even start by choosing the most relevant episodes first. You can listen to it here http://www.palladium-education.com/practicaldefense.shtml
    5. Alex also teaches self defense classes in Southern California. You can review the course offerings here http://www.alexhaddox.com/training.shtml
    6. Some EXCELLENT firearms training can be had at Front Sight. It isn't terribly far from you (outside of Las Vegas, NV). They reportedly train more folks than any other school in the U.S. combined. If you watch, you can get a LIFETIME membership for their classes (for around $500) which include empty hand defense, edged weapons (knife), handgun, shotgun, rifle, etc. Their instructors are knowledgeable and very helpful toward students. I've attended classes there and can't recommend them highly enough. You can find out more at www.frontsight.com
    6. Feel free to private message me if you have additional questions.