How do you people stay at 1200 a day??

Options

Replies

• amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of veggies....lots of tuna, cottage cheese, egg whites. I do slip a little, yesterday was a crap day for sodium. My diary is public if you want to view it. Rarely do I get hungry. I do think I need to lower my sodium a bit more. My sugars are usually a bit high, but that happens if I eat too much fruit, so I don't stress that too much.
  • tytso
    tytso Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't stay at 1200/day; for me at least, I couldn't keep that up sustainably. I hit the gym a lot, and I use a walkstation at work. So I tend to have about 2000-2500 activity calories burned per day (tracked via FitBit). That plus a basal metabolism rate of just under 2000 calories/day means that I can eat 2500 calories a day, still have a 1500+ calories/deficit, which is enough to lose 3 pounds a week.

The exercise for me a key part of my program. It means, too, that I can tell myself --- sure, I could have that 200 calorie cookie. But it would mean an extra 15 minutes on the elliptical trainer, or an extra 45 minutes or so on the Walkstation. Sometimes I might decide that's a worthwhile tradeoff, often it's enough for me to say, "not this time". But since it's a tradeoff I made, it's incredibly empowering.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    and if you're still having trouble try out some negative calorie foods. For example, apples, bananas, cantaloupe, and many other fruits take more calories to digest than they actually contain. Good luck! :)

This may be the most absurd thing I have ever read on this website.

She isn't completely wrong. The phrasing is a bit off, but that IS a good mindset. Apples, Bananas, and Cantaloupe's don't actually offer what she's suggesting, but celery, for example, does. It isn't so much for the calories you're losing while ingesting them, but for the calories you aren't taking in. You could eat as much as you want, enough for a snack that'll keep you satisfied for at least three hours, and not have to worry about calories!

Here is something I found from the MAYO Clinic. I would say they are pretty reputable.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/negative-calorie-foods/AN02040/

According to the original post, in theory, I can eat 47 pounds of apples, cateloupe, and the rest of those magical NEGATIVE Calorie foods per day and still lose weight. It is just not feasible.

And the phrasing isn't a BIT off, it is totally out of line and should be removed. Statements like that are just setting people like the thread starter up for pure disaster. Becasue she will read that and think that she can eat all the apples, canteloupes she wants.

Like I said in an earlier post in here: Instead of people trying to tell a MORBIDLY OBESE person how to stay under 1200 calories, SOMEONE should be telling her how to use the site properly to change her lifestyle. Becasue it seems kind of obvious that a morbidly obese person should be eating a tad more than 1200 calories a day. She obviously thinks she should be eating ONLY 1200 Cals a day and is obviously frustrated.
  • Unwritten88
    Options
    Hey - I'm at 1250. I have 3 regular, balanced meals a day - check out my diary for ideas! I'm a veggie which helps in some ways and not in others.

I do find it hard some days - but I just take one day at a time and most days I don't feel hungry at all (until someone waves a chocolate bar in my face!)

Haven't lost as much as I would have liked :( But will keep at it - could do with some motivation to be honest!
  • dinoring
    dinoring Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually hit around 1200, sometimes more and sometimes less! Here is a typical day for me:

Breakfast: Chobani Greek Yogurt (I like to switch up the flavors each day so I don't get bored with it!), sometimes with a little granola sprinkled on top

Mid-morning Snack: Almonds

Lunch: Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge, 1 portion whole wheat crackers, cherries and as many baby carrots as I want.

Afternoon Snack: An apple and some homemade almond butter

Dinner: Lean Chicken sauteed with garlic and chopped onions (with lemon, whatever herb seasoning im in the mood for and a little salt and pepper) and brown rice; Or: baked salmon with quinoa and broccoli; Or grilled skewers with chicken, green peppers, onions and mushrooms!

Evening Snack: Weight Watchers Chocolate Ice cream bar or some fruit
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I stay around 1200 a day and rarely go over except on days when I exercise really hard and even on those days it is hard for me to go over. The Keys are eating low calorie foods. Think fruits and vegetables and lean protein. I also cook every meal I eat. I hardly ever eat out at a resturant. Not only does it save me money it also allows me to control my diet and what goes into my food. I also exercise everyday. If I can't make it to the gym I run at least 3 miles.
  • phatycake
    phatycake Posts: 216
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary, I feel satisfied each day. =]
  • llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    Options
    Well i must say that most of us who eat a maximum of 1200cals a day are basically eating a majority of protein. It's very filling and takes a lot of energy to digest therefore you feel full longer. You’ll notice that for those who do eat all day at 1200cals, we are almost all on the Dukan diet (high natural protein, no shakes). The Diary is full of food but the total is super low ( I get an average of 950cals a day sometimes ). If you eat 1200cals of meat I can guarantee that you won’t be able to get close to that amount let alone go over.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    The key is eating OFTEN and small portions!!!!!!!!! I stick to around 1200 a day, and I am not hungry... the first couple of weeks were rough, but it's become habit now that I'm 2 months in. In the morning I drink my coffee and eat egg beaters, yogurt, or lowfat cottage cheese. I have a morning snack around 10..usually a slimfast snack bar, kashi bar, or piece of fruit. Lunch is a protein shake. Afternoon snack is fruit, veggie chips, snack bar.... and dinner is a lean meant and vegetable!! It's all in WHAT you're choosing to eat. The healthier you eat, the more often you can eat, and the more you're able to eat at a time!!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    No (to the above poster) I KNOW I"m not supposed to be eating 1200 a day. My goal is set at 1700. I was just lashing out at that number because so many people talk about that number. I should not have done that. I mispoke. My apologies. I should have just asked how people stay within THEIR goal without going over. I am just having trouble staying under my goal and get frustrated that even when I DO stay under I can't seem to lose.

Thank you to all who have responded. It has been helpful.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I can only stay at 1200 if I exercise alot. Today after lunch I had only 344 calories left. I did a two hour walk, and now I have just over 900. So I can eat a good dinner:-)

I always go over on days with no exercise... But it all balances out if I look at a the calories and exercise for the whole week.
  • ruksha123
    ruksha123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is a must (approx300-400cals), Lunch is usually quite light (a shake, yoghurt and some fruit approx 300-400cals) and then dinner (i try to keep it light but it is difficult). For dinner i usually plan the night before or on the morning what and how many calories it is and stick it in to MTF and i need some spare for snacks (fruit).

If I'm having a particularly heavy dinner then I may skip my shake at lunch (230cals) and save this for dinner instead.

It can help to put your food for the day into MFT in the morning and then its already planned for you and I generally stick with it. Otherwise exercise and that can also add calories to your daily allowance:happy:

'Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a Queen and dinner like a pauper'
  • Williamsrus
    Options
    I definitely think food choices and staying hydrated is key as I do think the body will confuse hunger for thirst. As others have said-whole grain everything, egg whites, more protein, get rid of processed foods. I try to add protein to every meal which means adding egg whites to my morning oatmeal. For me I find that if I have bad night cravings, it is usually a result of not eating enough or not eating the right things over the course of the day. On the nights when you binge-take a look at your diary to see if there is anything triggering it or a pattern. I also think it is a good idea to not eat a few hours before bedtime. I replaced my late night in front of the tv snacking with pots of herbal tea.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I was literally starving on 1200 a day. I felt tired, freezing cold, shaky, my skin was saggy. It made me feel and look ill. Even eating "all the right things"

I am on 1500 to maintain now and I am still hungry most of the time, but it's bearable.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm set for 1400, and I eat small meals, not meals like I used to. I eat plenty and a lot, it's all in what you eat to keep under your calorie goal. Also, if you exercise more, even just go for a 20 minute walk, there's your snack for later, ya know? Get up and move, every little bit helps!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I went from eating about 2400-2800 a day down to 1700. I am doing well so far keeping it under 1700 and not being hungry. I had only 565 so far today because I didn't bring enough food to work with me, and I am starving! I really hope I don't pig out too much at dinner. For me, three sensible meals and a couple of healthy snacks seems to do the trick.
  • sofia0586
    sofia0586 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    a lot of fruits / veggies and protein.
    try to stay low on carbs but throw in a bit to keep me from feeling deprived.

i eat about 3 meals at 400/each, and maybe some baby carrots / cherries / snap peas for snacks.

if I workout, I let myself have more.
  • patleb67
    patleb67 Posts: 1
    Options
    I eat alot of fruit and veggies....especially the lowest calorie ones. A BIG salad before meals helps me fill up and I use only 1 tsp oil in the salad dressing If I have a special occasion and plan on eating out, I compensate by eating only low cal fruits and veggies and a very lean protein during the day of.
  • Davis1818
    Davis1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I find it verrrrrrrrrrrry difficult to stay at 1200. 1400-1500 seems doable even if I loose more slowly.
  • jmiller1960
    Options
    What do you mean by 'clean foods"? i would like to friend you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!