Replies

• chelley_79
    chelley_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    :smile: Yup...
  • vkruithof
    vkruithof Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes, but as a former food service worker I don't believe they should be tipped. They get minimum wage or more for a really simple job. It isn't like waiting tables where you do hard work and are paid below minimum wage.

That's only the case in some states. In WA waiters/waitresses are paid minimum wage + tips.

I would. Think of it. They come to your home with food for you, when you're not willing to drive in whatever weather there might be going on. I used to have deliver pizza in snow storms! :)
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Do you tip a cashier when they check you out at the grocery store?
    Do you tip your accountant when they do your taxes?
    Do you tip a police officer when they give you a speeding ticket?

Where is the fine line? ... no pun intended, heh, heh.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I delivered pizzas years ago on a military base and believe me it was a hard job. I would always tip all food service workers at least 20%. If you can't afford to tip, then you should really eat from places where tipping is not expected.

This too, I'm not in food service but I do work for tips. If the service is half decent I tip 20% or $5, whichever is more.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Do you tip a cashier when they check you out at the grocery store?

No but you should tip the bag boy
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I always give the tip
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hell no. I've paid for my pizza and the delivery, that's all I owe.

But then, I live in Australia and we don't have a tipping culture like the US does.

I'm sorry, but this is why every server's worst nightmare is foreigners. Our livelihood is dependent on tips and I get that other cultures may not be the same, but if you are in someone else's country, you should respect their customs. I have had French customers that don't tip because in France, gratuity is usually included in the bill. Chinese are also bad about this (I once got $1 on a $25 bill which isn't even acceptable for the worst of servers). Not that every person from that culture is guilty of this, but you can't help but have a feeling of dread when certain groups are sat in your sections... =/

Fair point.
    I was referring to what I do here in Australia where tips aren't expected - we do occasionally tip at a restaurant if the food or service is particularly good, but it's not an expectation like it is in the US.
    When I travel, I make an effort to find out about the local culture and follow the local rules, so you would get a tip - but I'd still probably be a lousy tipper, just because it's not a habit.

I worked in fast food for 7 years (in australia) and whenever we got tips we were not allowed to keep them and had to report them to the manager
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Of course! I usually tip 4 to 5 bucks. If you don't tip, you are a cheap *kitten* who should go pick up their damn pizza.
  • rlynnie
    rlynnie Posts: 2
    Options
    Where do you get that Pizza delivery is not hard work??

There is alot to do besides just deliver your pizza. Prep, cleaning, walk in customers, answering phones etc. Some of these people put alot into their work and they also have to deliver in the rain, fight off dogs, women coming to door with hardly anything on (not exactly nice looking and a nice body) wear and tear on their personal vehicles and don't get me started on how much gas and tires cost!!! My Husband does make a good living delivering pizza but he is a hard worker and is very conscientious. He works 40 to 60 hrs a week and from 2004 to now he has put 250000 miles on his vehicle.
    So I say YES you do tip for Delivery of Pizza!!
    This was in reference to Rumpusarel's post
  • sacorner
    sacorner Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes, but as a former food service worker I don't believe they should be tipped. They get minimum wage or more for a really simple job. It isn't like waiting tables where you do hard work and are paid below minimum wage.

As having worked a delivery job...I did not get paid minimum wage AND had the added expense of insuring my car And paying my own gas. Not to mention the so called delivery charge, in most cases, does not go to the driver. I've worked for 3 different companies as a driver over the years and they pretty much all operate the same.

Just saying...
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I just give them all really big bear hugs and thank them for their speedy delivery.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

As the wife of a former pizza delivery driver, let me tell you that they should be tipped. They usually pay for their own gas and tips help offset the mileage and wear & tear to their vehicle. Yes, they make more than waitresses, but they also have to deliver to unsafe locations (and I know several who were robbed at gunpoint) and are usually still responsible for duties at the restaurant too.
  • PatByrne82
    PatByrne82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i miss pizza
  • reservoirjack
    Options
    "He just convinced me... Give me my dollar back!"
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The tipping culture is really different here in the UK. I always leave a tip when it's expected though, like in restaurants. I hate the attitude that you're entitled to a tip though, just because you're on a low wage. If I get good service, I leave a tip. If my server is friendly and goes the extra mile, I leave a big tip. If you're miserable and rude, then no tip for you.
    I've done waitressing and bar-work, and certainly didn't expect a tip because I didn't earn much. Where I worked, the customers weren't generally tippers (it was more usual to be told to get yourself a drink) but the times I was tipped, it was always because I'd been super polite and friendly, or had done something extra to be helpful.
    I know the service industry absolutely sucks, but it's a job. If you're doing it well, you get rewarded. If you're not, why should you be?
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    no cozz they always take forever lol

Hmmm...I thinks I know why they take forever to get you your order :frown:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You ALWAYS tip the poor schlub working these crumb jobs.
    My God!
    You want him "finishing" all over your pepperoni next time? :smokin:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Mr. Pink
    I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's f*cked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government f's in the @ss on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullsh*t I got two words for that: learn to f-in' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big f-in' surprise.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Mr. Pink:
    I don't tip becausesociety says I have to. If they really put forth the effort,I'll give 'em somethin' extra. But this tipping automatically,it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned,they're just doin' their job. These ladies aren't starvin' to death .They make minimum wage. I used to work minimum wage,and when I did... I wasn't lucky enough to have a job that society deemed tip-worthy.

Waitresses get paid about $2.00 an hour and many times has to split their tips with some of the help. Educate yourself.

If the amount they earn / claim is below minimum wage then they are bumped up by the restaurant.......If they earn 2 + 2 in tips.....they are given more to bring them up to minimum wage......educate yourself.

Um ... what restaurant does that? Never one I or anyone I know ever worked in.
    Technically, thatis what they are supposed to do.