300 - 600 Calorie Daily Intake

Options

Replies

• NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest it. It's just not enough. And particularly with Ramadan falling in the summer with the long hot days, I don't think it will be good for you.
    This!!
  • danielledimedio1985
    Options
    is this serious??

Did you not read she was doing it for a fast? It's for religious purposes. Lets try to not be so rude.

some people are so ignorant, aren't they?! you're right, so rude!

to the OP- such low calories is not good for you at all. the lowest you should ever go is 1000 and that's pushing it! you will throw your body into starvation mode and it will f-ck up your metabolism. perhaps you can include something else with your shakes, like hummus and vegetables or apple/pear and peanut butter? best of luck :)
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I did something like this last year...I would consume about 2 gallons of water a day and eat one large chicken breast in the evening after my workouts. I Lost 69 lbs in 60 days. I was around 310 at the time and ended about 240. I have to add though, every 10 lbs lost i treated myself to a good meal. which averaged out to about every 8 days or so.

I also ran like crazy, was doing swim training and cycling, burning crazy amounts of calories.

When i got to my goal weight, i went back to eating normal.
    Thank you very much - this is exactly the kind of info I am seeking. I am asking for experience from people who have tried this before, not the ignorant opinions of those who never tried this. I am fasting for religious reasons but for those people who are familiar with this fast, dusk is after 8PM and I really don't want to consume 1200 calories and go to bed a couple of hours later. Again, I am considering this. I don't appreciate being called stupid, especially from people who haven't tried this before.

You're not going to lose weight anywhere near as fast as he did. Also, unless you make the changes to your diet and exercise (like him) you will just put all that weight back on. But this time you'll have to lost a lot of muscle and replaced it with fat.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I did something like this last year...I would consume about 2 gallons of water a day and eat one large chicken breast in the evening after my workouts. I Lost 69 lbs in 60 days. I was around 310 at the time and ended about 240. I have to add though, every 10 lbs lost i treated myself to a good meal. which averaged out to about every 8 days or so.

I also ran like crazy, was doing swim training and cycling, burning crazy amounts of calories.

Thank you very much - this is exactly the kind of info I am seeking. I am asking for experience from people who have tried this before, not the ignorant opinions of those who never tried this. I am fasting for religious reasons but for those people who are familiar with this fast, dusk is after 8PM and I really don't want to consume 1200 calories and go to bed a couple of hours later. Again, I am considering this. I don't appreciate being called stupid, especially from people who haven't tried this before.

I know you don't want to eat a big meal right before going to bed, but maybe you can look for some higher calorie options? Almonds, peanut butter, etc. doesn't feel too heavy or big of a meal but still helps you get those calories.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i eat 800 or under each day and im fine, i eat healthy foods 3 or 4 meals a day. ive lost 6 and half stone plus in 18 months and im ok. my diary is open. i do get sick of people telling me to stuff my face , thats how i got fat.

and your entire profile screams "Troll"
    EXCUSE ME. YOU ARE SO RUDE.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

So you chose to ignore the posts that say they have done this and had terrible experiences (including the one who destroyed her metabolism) and listen to the only one who was for it. Ok.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    i eat 800 or under each day and im fine, i eat healthy foods 3 or 4 meals a day. ive lost 6 and half stone plus in 18 months and im ok. my diary is open. i do get sick of people telling me to stuff my face , thats how i got fat.

and your entire profile screams "Troll"
    EXCUSE ME. YOU ARE SO RUDE.

Yes, I am.
  • EClutchey
    EClutchey Posts: 6
    Options
    Why would you limit yourself before sunrise and after sunset? IMO it sounds like a silly plan.

This is because during Ramadan the practice is to fast while the sun is up .... however, only consuming 600 calories between sunset and sunrise sounds dangerous and unhealthy.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but you're 64. Your nutritional requirements are going to be vastly different from the OP.
    YES I PROBABLY AGREE THERE, AT 64 IM NOT AS ACTIVE AND OLD PEOPLE DONT EAT AS MUCH.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I think the majority of people commenting were very respectful of your religious beliefs. I don't think anyone would need to fast through Ramadan to understand that a VLCD for an entire month is not a healthy approach.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

What are you reasons for not wanting to eat a big meal before bed?

Where are your fats and protein on this diet?
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're getting such bad responses from everyone. This for her religious believes, guys.

The only thing I've heard about such an experience is that your breath gets awful. Awful, awful, awful.

I know the Muslim faith - and yes Ramadan is the month long fast during daylight hours to make us appreciate all God (Allah) provides for us. Having said that, I think this calorie goal is way too low and it will only mess up your metabolism. I think you should still strive for the calorie goal you would normally follow. Many of my Muslim friends are awake more during the dark hours during Ramadan - maybe you could adjust your schedule as such somewhat for that month.

Asalam aleikum.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Your better off doing it the healthy way by watching calories
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

Okay see this concerns me because your first and only response to this entire thread has been to selectively pick out one post that can enable you to eat sub 1000 calories needlessly. Which tells me that you are wanting to lose weight fast and easy during a period where you feel like you can get away with it.

So, I understand you don't appreciate being called stupid, but I don't appreciate people pointing out when I am blatantly wrong either, I like to just skirt by and see if nobody notices. That's dumb too by the way.

Very low calorie diets are not something to mess with, and in this case the guy was obese, over 300lbs. From the look of your pictures you are far from obese. I've done this as well; eating 600 calories for about a week. It is absolutely pointless and does not work as a long term solution for 90% of people who do it.

Eh whatever, you'll likely do what you want and then try something else when you screw up.
  • Timalein
    Timalein Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think you have given the most concrete response of all of us! I appreciate what you have written & I think for today…you are the most brilliant person! :smile:
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Why would you limit yourself before sunrise and after sunset? IMO it sounds like a silly plan.

This is what Ramadan is as per religion and calling is silly is disrespectful.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I did while I was anorexic and I nearly died.
    Editing after reading the 'religious' reasons for starving yourself..... why can't you get up earlier, before sunrise and eat food to nourish your body? It wouldnt be that hard to prepare something in the evening that you could easily reheat in the morning. That way the previous night's food isnt sitting in your stomach all night. Also, how long does that period of fasting last?
  • Timalein
    Timalein Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ramadan is a lot like intermittent fasting, lol...

Now, I'm not trying to be one of the people who immediately dismisses this as stupid, but, I will tell you why I would never do something like that if you're anywhere near a normal weight.

Your body will always move towards 0 net calories. For example, lets say you're eating 600 calories; lets also say that at your current weight and activity level you burn 1600 cal/day. You would be netting -1000 calories. Your body will lose mass until you're only burning 600 cal/day (0 net cal), which is extremely low. Of course, you probably won't get to the point where you're only burning 600 cal/day. If you net -1000 cal/day for 40 days, that's -40,000 calories which is about 12 pounds of fat. Unfortunately you'll also be losing muscle, so perhaps you end up losing 15-20 lbs in 40 days. Once you lose that weight, if you go back to eating like you used to and your exercise and diet remained unchanged your body will continue to move back up in weight (packing on mostly fat, not muscle if you don't work out) until you're burning 1600 cal/day again. Which would bring you right back up to your previous weight. That's why people yo-yo diet. And at this point, you've managed to lose a lot of whatever muscle you had and replaced it with fat.

Now, I think there is actually a situation where doing a diet like this for a short time could be semi-helpful, and someone touched upon it earlier in this thread: When you're severely overweight. Fasting like this could help shed a lot of pounds if you're someone who is very overweight. Mainly because it takes a lot of calories to maintain 300+ lbs of body mass. Most people who weigh 300 lbs or more are going to be burning around 2500-3000 calories a day just from living. At that rate, if you restrict caloric intake to 600 you will be losing close to a pound a day. It's not such a bad way to get rid of some of the extra mass which is stopping that person from being able to exercise frequently. However, once the fast is done you have to change your exercise and dietary habits. If you go back to what you were doing before, your body will move back up again until you're netting 0 net calories.

So, if you're significantly overweight fasting can help to kickstart a lifestyle change. However, if you're anywhere nearly a healthy weight then it's mostly a waste of time. You'd be a lot better off if you eat better/exercise.

Number one, most of you say you want to be successful, but you don't want it bad you just kinda want it.
    -Eric Thomas (lol?)

Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide.

I think you have given the most concrete response of all of us! I appreciate what you have written & I think for today…you are the most brilliant person!
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    :facedesk:

Ramadan or not, 600 calories a day is not safe for anyone over the age of 2.

Amen. This sounds dangerous... that's not even enough calories to support life. And OP, people aren't being rude by telling you that. I understand you're doing this for religious reasons, but the added undertone of your desire to lose weight quick, isn't justified by religious reasons. You can still fast during the day and consume enough calories at the allotted time. 300-600 is dangerous, unhealthy and foolish. Period.
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    Off topic but I'm floored at the number of people who don't know what Ramadan is. :noway:

This. Sheesh folks.....

Anyways, to the OP...while I don't think it is necessary to consume such few calories (especially if you plan to work out)...give it a couple of days and see how your body reacts to it. I tried a very low calorie diet and was extremely tired, weak and *****y.....
This discussion has been closed.