"you have such a pretty face"

Options

Replies

• BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    I get called 'cute' but not pretty and nobody has ever called me beautiful.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I don't want anyone to take the LOL in my last comment as an insult. I'm 6"3 and 315 pounds. If anything I don't carry it well. I just think it's funny how people try to be nice when they insult you.

I didn't take it offensively!
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It is not easy being this damn pretty. It is a blessing, and a curse... lol
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I hate that phrase.
    At my most annoyed stage, I've replied: "I know." (with a serious, not-amused-with-you face)
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Women get told they have a pretty face. Guys get told "you carry your weight well." I guess it sounds better than being told you don't look fat. LOL!!
    I hear that one a lot too :(

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "You carry your weight well" or "You carry your weight proportionately".

Seriously?

The truth - I've just gotten REALLY good at picking out clothes that hide my "problem areas"!
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    It is not easy being this damn pretty. It is a blessing, and a curse... lol

haha I can imagine!
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I hate that phrase.
    At my most annoyed stage, I've replied: "I know." (with a serious, not-amused-with-you face)
    Something tells me I've given that same face quite a few times.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    Women get told they have a pretty face. Guys get told "you carry your weight well." I guess it sounds better than being told you don't look fat. LOL!!
    I hear that one a lot too :(

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "You carry your weight well" or "You carry your weight proportionately".

Seriously?

The truth - I've just gotten REALLY good at picking out clothes that hide my "problem areas"!

me too- for examples: SWEATS AND A BAGGY T SHIRT. (My favorite)
  • parisiantwyst
    Options
    I get told this.

I also get told (only by women) that I have pretty makeup. Feels like a slap.

yikessssss.....that would probably make me cry inside. :(

Do you think there is anything I can say to this? Its pretty darn subtle, in a way. It ticks me off, and I've probably heard it 4 times in my life. Usually from women who wear little to no makeup. It like they have to judge me for wearing makeup rather than talk about something else. Lots of people think I look pretty darn it! With or without... its so annoying that so many people wear make up but then I go and get insulted as if I'm not pretty without it :(
    To be honest, I think the best come-back is a "Thank you! I like what you've done with your... (pick something they haven't done anything with ex: hair) I totally love the bedhead look" etc. one backhanded compliment for another.
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    :laugh:
    I get told this.

Do you think there is anything I can say to this? Its pretty darn subtle, in a way. It ticks me off, and I've probably heard it 4 times in my life. Usually from women who wear little to no makeup. It like they have to judge me for wearing makeup rather than talk about something else. Lots of people think I look pretty darn it! With or without... its so annoying that so many people wear make up but then I go and get insulted as if I'm not pretty without it :(
    To be honest, I think the best come-back is a "Thank you! I like what you've done with your... (pick something they haven't done anything with ex: hair) I totally love the bedhead look" etc. one backhanded compliment for another.

LOVE IT!!!!!!
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I get told this.

Good idea. Funny thing is I don't pay attention to peoples faults unless they are really obvious. But now I have inspiration. Next time I'll pause, bite my lip and zero in on something they probably hate and tell them "I love your big nose!"...lol

LOVE IT!!!!!!
  • helencita13
    helencita13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I get called 'cute' but not pretty and nobody has ever called me beautiful.

aww because kitties are soo cute :flowerforyou:
    lol but in all seriousness...I get the cute thing too. I want to be drop dead gorgeous damn it! Sadly, this one has nothing to do with weight...even when I was skinny, I got the cute comments. It used to bug me a lot more when I was younger, but I've come to embrace my cuteness. It doesn't matter what dirty thing comes out of my mouth even, I'm adorable. Sheesh. So lets go get sexy so we can be at least 'hot' AND cute :)
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I get told this.

LOVE IT!!!!!!

Good idea. Funny thing is I don't pay attention to peoples faults unless they are really obvious. But now I have inspiration. Next time I'll pause, bite my lip and zero in on something they probably hate and tell them "I love your big nose!"...lol
  • ilovemybuggy
    Options
    I get told this.

LOVE IT!!!!!!

lol- big nose!?!? I just laughed so hard!
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I get told this.

I honestly don't get why someone telling you your makeup is pretty is an insult. I love when people comment on my makeup lol. I mostly get comments on my eye makeup and eyebrows. It takes time and effort to put on some of the stuff I do and I think it's awesome when someone besides my husband notices lol.
  • Bamberly15
    Bamberly15 Posts: 18
    Options
    TOTALLY know that feeling. I get told it quite often, even by my own mother that I have such a pretty face and its like, hello??? I'm more then just that ya know!!! Us women gotta stick together and make it through this to be everything else pretty too! :)
  • LelaYang
    LelaYang Posts: 43
    Options
    Have you ever heard the "Oh, you're just big boned." Um...really?? No I'm not. When I die and someone comes to dig up my grave, trust me...they won't find "BIG" bones.
  • thejonperry
    Options
    People just call me "a"hole so you are doing so much better than I =D
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I actually remember saying the "you have such a pretty face" line to someone. I was young (18ish) and obviously a complete idiot. At the time I had no clue that it could be insulting. I didn't mean for it to be insulting at all. I'm nearly 20 years older and wiser now, the conversation has popped back into my head from time to time and it makes me want to die every time I think about it.

So, I would like to apologize to anyone who has been told this. The person who said it was probably a clueless jack hole like I was.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I honestly don't get why someone telling you your makeup is pretty is an insult. I love when people comment on my makeup lol. I mostly get comments on my eye makeup and eyebrows. It takes time and effort to put on some of the stuff I do and I think it's awesome when someone besides my husband notices lol.

I agree. I've been told since I was in high school that people like the way I put my make-up on. I never once took it as an insult.