Annoying statements made about area of residence

Options

Replies

• KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    "There's nothing in Indiana but corn"....

That's not true!

wait....

yeah it is :grumble:

"There's more than corn in Indiana,
    it's the best part of Americana,
    and it's right within your reach...
    it's Indiana Beach!"
    "CAW CAW"

You might be too young to remember that commercial. lol
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    "they don't call it hotlanta for nothin'"

First of all, I don't call it "hotlanta" ever
    Second, aww nevermind

JUST StOP sAYING It!

Me and a group of my friends call Atlanta The Hellmouth (Buffy) for reasons too long to type and too sordid to bring to the public *laff*
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    The UK isn't a country :-)

Your former PM's website described the UK as four "countries within a country": http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page823

If it's not a country, what would you call it?

Its a kingdom, they try and sell it as one country to try and stop separate parliaments springing up- except wales and scotland have their own now anyway. Not that I talk a word of politics :-) its actually really tricky; did you know there is a difference between Great Britain and the UK too? :-) (I couldnt tell you but I know its something about various islands being included too- and I live here! :-)

How do you expect us outsiders to understand it, then?!? :laugh: This Wikipedia article is all I know about the political structure of the UK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

But at least I now know that Ireland isn't a part of the UK. Gosh, I feel dumb. :happy:
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    S.F.. do NOT call it "Frisco"
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    From someone in Michigan State:

"You're from Canada? It must be cold up there."

For those who aren't in the know: Most of Michigan state is further north than most of Southern Ontario!

I doubt the person that said that was from Michigan. I am from Michigan - where, yes, I do often have just as much Canadian change in my pocket as American. No, I do not work for the Big 3 - although 90% of my family does or did at one point. I grew up in a small town - where, yes, pretty much everyone does know your name. I've experienced the weather of all 4 seasons in one week. I have used my furnace and a/c on the same days (honestly). I live in the lower peninsula, so to our great northern UP residents, I am a troll because I live under the bridge. They are Yoopers. ;) Driving coast to coast is Port Huron to Muskegon. The list goes on....oh - and yes, it is POP. Not soda.

ETA - and yes, for the record, construction is an official season here.

Love construction season! Not!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Oh, you live in the desert? It's 115 degrees? But it's a dry heat...

Yeah, just like turning my blow dryer on full blast in my face is a dry heat...

I KNOW RIGHT?! I hate people saying that! Who the hell cares that its a dry heat?! It still just SUCKS! Lol.
    Anything in triple digits is just slightly differing degrees of misery. Dry or humid, it still sucks.
  • SFbarmaid
    Options
    Jamaica

"Say something in Jamaican" ...:huh: Jamaican is not a language dumba$$ it's called "Patois'!

Try watching The Harder They Come as an American-English speaker. Trust me, it's a different language! :bigsmile:

See what I mean. My point is we don't speak "Jamaican" just like you don't speak "American", our native language is called "Patois" not "Jamaican"...

I LOVe this!! I love "the harder they come" but Dancehall Queen"...now that's a favorite.
  • skpstone
    skpstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options

But just like Canadians, you do say some words kinda funny...
    What words!? :indifferent:

Fush and Chups?
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many times people think Rhode Island is Long Island.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    "they don't call it hotlanta for nothin'"

First of all, I don't call it "hotlanta" ever
    Second, aww nevermind

JUST StOP sAYING It!

Me and a group of my friends call Atlanta The Hellmouth (Buffy) for reasons too long to type and too sordid to bring to the public *laff*
    I think the Atlanta airport is The Hellmouth.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    California.....everyone thinks it's always sunny and hot here.........ummmm NO!
    Guess on that it depends on where you are from.. for me, it will be hot as I am used too half cold half hot... my resistance to hot is low.. lol If you come here, maybe you'll think it's cold ahahah

North of Big Sur is the same kind of climate as England in general.
  • MFPBrandy
    Options
    San Fran? :)
  • marvelscale
    marvelscale Posts: 135
    Options
    "Oh so you're from Washington? So you get a lot of rain then."
    No, I live on the East side.

"Washington? So you're on the East coast." :explode:
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    LMAO! I'm from "Hot"-lanta too! I always thought that sounded dumb!

I'm from Atlanta as well.

I hate whoever came up with that.

My husband is from NH, though....whenever we go up there, we'll sometimes run into old pals of his who ask where I'm from, because I guess it's obvious to them I'm not from NH.

And then I get treated like I don't have the brains God gave a gnat because, y'know, southern women are naive and fragile.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: [
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    YOu lived in Alaska for 5 years??? Wow, do people live in igloos? Is it dark all year long? Is it light all day long? Is it really cold there? (yes...it IS really cold! haha...other than that pretty normal!)
  • RunandRecover
    Options
    "You are from Oregon? It rains a lot there!"

You're kidding! I never even noticed...
  • SFbarmaid
    Options
    San Fran? :)

If you must. It's better than calling it Frisco. you can tell when people are tourists or bridge and tunnel. they say either of the aforementioned.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Iowa...Oh thats where they grow potatoes. Or Iowa do you eat anything other than corn?

Haha I grew up thereand was going to say the same thing. Or some comment about pigs and cows.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Oh! You are Irish.

No Leprechauns aren't real

No I do not drink like a fish (not anymore anyways lol!)

And no... we do not have a donkey in the kitchen and I don't know Liam Neeson personally. (Wouldn't mind if I did though!)

and my pet peeve heheh (well not really a peeve more of an amusement)

IM IRISH TOO ! (usually meaning my grandfather's uncle's wife's cousin 3 times removed by marriage and aliens was Irish) hehehe