Do you tip a pizza delivery man when..

Options
14567810»

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Anyone who doesn't make the majority of their money through wages is the people you should tip.

Maybe that will clear it up a bit....

This!

Though I'd rather have employers pay a living wage. I'd happily pay a bit more a meal to know that the employees are paid a living (not minimum but actual able to live on) wage.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever have a smokin hot pizza delivery girl...like in "those" movies?

No, but one time I got a smokin' hot delivery BOY.... I tipped him double.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I TIP.

However, devil's advocate - Why is it the customer's responsibility to make up for the lack of salary that the driver/waiter gets?

At a guess - because you have fundamentally flawed employment regulations in the US?
    In Australia, if you take a low paying job then you know up front how much you will earn. You aren't dependent on people choosing to tip, not to tip, how much to tip etc. If you get a tip, that's a bonus not an anticipated part of your wage.

On the down side - I don't think our service is that great overall, I've had much better service when I've travelled to other countries including the US. There are some people who provide fantastic service here but it's not uncommon to get a waiter (or other service person) who clearly doesn't care about the job or the customer. There has to be more incentive to give a rats if you think you'll get a good reward for your actions.

It's a great example of different culture, different outcomes - and of things that are ingrained and REALLY hard to change.
  • sshook990
    sshook990 Posts: 284
    Options
    i try to tip like my waitress about 15% or a little more if the delivery man is awesome, like when i lived in erie i loved my pizza place and they only had one driver and he always brought an extra order of breadsticks or something because he was awesome like that! he always got big tips from me at least 15% sometimes if i was short i would tell him i would get him next time and he was always cool with that! (BTW i did always get him the next time.)
  • sshook990
    sshook990 Posts: 284
    Options
    I TIP.

However, devil's advocate - Why is it the customer's responsibility to make up for the lack of salary that the driver/waiter gets?

Because you have the option of going to pick it up. They are providing a service for us to sit back and have food brought to us. :smile:

Dentists, Doctors, Fast Food employees, Mail-men/woman, UPS/Fed-ex, Paper boys/girls. Just a few examples of people who also "provide a service for us" but we don't tip them. Like Resevoir Dogs says, who gets to decide why we tip one group and not another.

Again, I TIP, just playing the game of curiosity here...

Paper boys/girls/men deliver before the Roosters are even awake so how would you tip them? UPS/FED EX and Postal workers not only get compensated extremely well but also do not deliver in thier personal vehicals. The last time I checked Dentists, Doctors, and Fast Food employees do not deliver thier services to you and afford you the luxury of stayng home, not wasting your gas and putting wear and tear on your vehicle.

Paperboys go to collect for their money in the afternoon/night. I was a paperboy for a couple years. We had to get the weekly due for our customers. It was so horrible doing this, because people would not answer their door and not pay up! We would have to keep coming to their houses each day.

that is true about the paperboy thing except i was a papergirl in high school and i do have to say that i even saved an old lady when she fell and broke her hip she waited about 18 hours for help and i came to collect and i heard her and called 911 and saved her life! (true story) and she was an excellent tipper and also left her dues outside her door in a can for me to pick up
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    its pretty sad when you have to dodge a 12 year old boy after $3.50....
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had a delivery driver tell me he considers a "good" tip to be roughly the price of a gallon of gas, so I tip that or better most of the time. The only times I don't tip are when the delivery person (or wait staff for that matter) are being rude, inept, or inappropriate. For example, I once had a driver leave my food on my neighbor's porch, then call me and say 'you weren't answering the door, but since it was charged, I left it on the porch. When can I come back for my tip?" When I went to get it, I checked the delivery slip and my address was correct on it. And he obviously had my correct phone number. And it was raining and the box got all wet...I didn't tip him.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I had a delivery driver tell me he considers a "good" tip to be roughly the price of a gallon of gas, so I tip that or better most of the time. The only times I don't tip are when the delivery person (or wait staff for that matter) are being rude, inept, or inappropriate. For example, I once had a driver leave my food on my neighbor's porch, then call me and say 'you weren't answering the door, but since it was charged, I left it on the porch. When can I come back for my tip?" When I went to get it, I checked the delivery slip and my address was correct on it. And he obviously had my correct phone number. And it was raining and the box got all wet...I didn't tip him.

He is a moron. If there is no answer, you bring the food back to the place.
  • bbhartsu315
    Options
    My husband is a pizza delivery driver and if he didn't make tips we simply wouldn't survive... Minimum wage doesn't cover all of our home expenses, gasoline, and car maintenance... We appreciate every bit of his tips and all of his customers
  • Abrowe313
    Abrowe313 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My husband is a pizza delivery driver and if he didn't make tips we simply wouldn't survive... Minimum wage doesn't cover all of our home expenses, gasoline, and car maintenance... We appreciate every bit of his tips and all of his customers

this^^^ people tip a waitress no questions asked, and some restaraunts have automatic gratuity added onto bils for large parties, but a pizza guy uses his own vehicle and gas as expensive as it is these days and you are seriously asking if you should tip him or not? i used to deliver pizza and the delivery charge? none of it goes to the driver
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Waitress, baristas and pizza delivery guys barely get minimum wage (not even that in some states that assume they make the bulk of their living through tips and tax them as such regardless of whether they make that tip money or not). I worked food service for a time (though not pizza delivery) and you don't make any money at all, plus pizza delivery drivers have a good risk of being robbed, beaten or murdered. And think about it, you were too lazy to make your own food or even go out to pick it up yourself and had it hand delivered to your door. That deserves a tip!