Do you think it's okay to not wear a bra in public?

Options

Replies

• MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Not if your nipples are showing.

THIS! A hint of nipple is very hard to pull off without looking cheap, especially during the day (unless you're on the beach of course).

Agree. Any overage of boob or sight of a nipple looks trashy.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what we think. And apparently it doesn't matter what you think, either, if you're going to let your boyfriend decide what you can and can't wear in public.

Really? Aside from the overreacting a bit by her BF, I don't think he was in the wrong to not want his GF publicly displaying the goods like that. All guys want to see boobs, but from my experience, it's different when it's your woman. I think in a healthy relationship, it's respectful to acknowledge that the boobies.... are not for sharing. Just my two cents. As for it being taboo, not really. If done properly, it can look very nice. If not executed properly, it's a sight no one wants to see.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think it's OK if you wear no bra but with the shirt you are describing, I would say no. White and silk?! You need a bra, honey.
  • demningoreilly
    Options
    When you are young and perky, it is definitely okay. However, I'm older (47), big tatas (38D) and have had three children - NOT OKAY. No one wants to see that.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If your tits are as big as mine.. hell no its not ok.
    But you seem to have nice little perky boobies. And I think it would be ok.
    He threw the *****-fit because he didn't want other men looking at you and picturing said boobies.
    Men are like that. You didn't do anything wrong, he's just possessive of what is his.
    But I say if you can get away with it, do it. I wish I could go braless :(
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think it should be a personal comfort choice. Maine state law allows for everyone to go topless, if they so choose. So there is nothing to say you can't go bra-less if you so choose. If more people went bra-less then there would be less of a stigma associated with exposed breasts and women that are breast feeding their babies in public would feel a little more comfortable. In countries where it is more commonplace, there are less gawkers and topless and/or bra-less is more socially accepted.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I have small-ish tata's and i'd be worried about my nipples showing or something along those lines. I don't know, I've seen big-chested and small-chested women from time to time who are braless and it's...not a good look IMHO.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    BURN THOES BRA'S GIRL WOMEN POWER (US MEN DONT MIND AT ALL LOL)
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If the ladies of Walmart can do it so can you!:tongue:

In all honesty it would depend if in the dailight you could see anything. (White is a tricky colour.)
    If you can't, then go for it, it is your body after all.
  • DaGsGirl
    DaGsGirl Posts: 194
    Options
    I do care if it is or isnt, lol, if im not in the mood to wear one, I dont, lol.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    ummmmmm:ohwell: well obviously he can see them (nipples) no matter what-its a guy thing and he knows how they think, i think that was his point. you could have been covered and nipple free- its just how a mans mind works lol
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Being of the age from the original bra-burning generation, I was braless for a good 20 years! I see nothing wrong with it at all. I don't think my daughter (age 28) even owns a bra. LOL. Now that I'm older, I still occasionally do so just not when I run. :wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it should be a personal comfort choice. Maine state law allows for everyone to go topless, if they so choose. So there is nothing to say you can't go bra-less if you so choose. If more people went bra-less then there would be less of a stigma associated with exposed breasts and women that are breast feeding their babies in public would feel a little more comfortable. In countries where it is more commonplace, there are less gawkers and topless and/or bra-less is more socially accepted.

Dude! It's about fashion, not prudishness!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    as you can see in my pic, I just got this tat yesterday....I had no choice but to NOT wear a bra if I didn't want to ruin the ink or irritate the tat. Problem was , I had to go to work.....but the luck of it was I also have to wear a thick cotton apron....the girls were free and no one knew but me, lol...

I have to work again today, gotta make sure I wear that apron again or I'll be breaking store policy.:happy:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am small chested and I never wear a bra. If I feel the need to wear one -- if I think a shirt is too see through or I'm a bit nipply that day -- I'll put a tank top on beneath the shirt I'm going to wear.

I did buy a couple of bras for those occasions where I would actually need to wear one. I hate them though.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I've started buying clothes with the express reason I don't have to wear a bra with them. I'm flat chested so it doesn't look that different. I just tape the nips :)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Acceptable. Definitely.

^ Don't trust him, he's probably a dirty old man. :laugh:

If nothing shows, how did your boyfriend know you weren't wearing a bra?

Besides, I thought it must be a fashion statement to wear bras that show. I see a lot of exposed bras on young women. Actually, I think that looks tackier than going bra-less if you can't see nipples or outlines of nipples and the breasts aren't hanging and bouncing. Do you pass the pencil test?

On the other hand, I've always thought it unfair that it's often acceptable for men to go shirtless, but seldom acceptable for women. A lot of men have larger breasts than me, unfortunately. There have been many hot days when I wanted to shed my shirt, but social norms held me back.

I saw a research report recently which indicated too much time wearing bras increases the risk of breast cancer. That sounds like a good excuse to me if you can go bra-less without it being obvious. If it's not noticeable, it's not a problem.
  • GabrielleZelda
    GabrielleZelda Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with it!
    I mean as long as you're not bursting out of it or anything.

Unless you are quite busty, in which case it has more chances of looking inappropriate and not offering enough support - totally fine.

I'm a 34B and I don't wear a bra at least twice a week. It's great!
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am quite small, and spent my twenties and half my thirties not wearing a bra. When I see photos of myself now I am quite sorry! Sure, I "got away with it" and some people might have enjoyed seeing me whenever I got cold, but NO! It makes the whole look of an otherwise cute outfit look unpolished. It just doesnt work. UNLESS you have the hippie chick look going on...unshaved armpits, no make-up, natural, long loose hair....then ok.