Does myfitnesspal work?

Options

Replies

• ShadowSP7
    ShadowSP7 Posts: 53
    Options
    ok I feel miserable... weighed myself today and after eating the right amount of calories and working out every day I gained 5 lbs... Im about to give up!

You shouldn't only be counting your calories you should also be watching what kind of food you eat, such as McDonald or Burger king, pretty much any fast food restaurant.

Also you should watch how much sugary drinks you have and alcohol consumption, if you eat packaged food pay attention to how much saturated fat is in a serving, if ti has more than 5 grams I wont eat it. Also You should never eat trans fat, it is the worse kind of fat for you poly and mono unsaturated fats are good fats.

Like people on MFP say its not really a diet but more of a lifestyle change.

Don't give up, just figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it.
  • paulatara
    paulatara Posts: 4
    Options
    I just wanted to say Way To Go!:bigsmile: on your weight loss to date!!!!!!! I know it is not easy but I will get there too!!!!!!!
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I lost 28 pounds on my own. Then I started using MFP and haven't lost a single pound. I don't think the calories from food or calories burned from exercise is very accurate. I am going back to the way I did it before this website.

You just have to do whats best for you.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    MFP "works" - if you do the work.

It is a great tool for tracking your food and exercise and learning about how much is the right amount for YOUR body. You can read every single article about "how to lose weight" but at the end of the day, all you can do it get started and see how you respond.

I lost 22kg (nearly 50 pounds) last year and have kept most of it off (3kg back up).

Right now my focus is not on losing more weight but on maintaining my weight loss and keeping up the habits that will help keep me healthy. MFP is helping there too - I use it to plan my meals now so I can keep an eye on how much I'm eating each day and continue to learn what is right for me.
  • jdstathopoulos
    jdstathopoulos Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Using myfitnesspal, I've been able to keep track of my calories. I have the ipod/iphone app and always enter what I eat. If I'm not sure of the exact name of the item, say a burrito since there are so many kinds, I go for the one with the highest calorie content. That usually makes me want to workout more because I feel like I have more work to do. I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months using this app. I also work between 9 and 12 hours a day, 5 days a week doing a somewhat physically demanding job as well as go to the gym at least 3 times a week for 1-3 hours each time. Before I had myfitnesspal, I was losing much less weight because it's hard to keep track of! If anyone wants someone to friend, hit me up! I'm a competitive person so I'll work harder when others can see the results - and I hope my results motivate you.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    For me committing means engaging with the process. I think it is personal but MFP works because you can let it be people powered. Get friends (Add me if you want) and log everything you do. The best bit though is working with others - comment on all of your friends exercise and diet entries and give support if they ask for it. Likewise open your diary to let your friends see what you are up to so they can comment. For me it is important for two way dialogue - their comments help me, mine help them - but also me commenting on other peoples entries help me as much as their comments to me. Also I am becoming selective of friends. I had a load of friends to start with but a lot of people don't write or share their diaries. Since things need to to balanced I am just deleting these people - by doing this a few times you can get a good network going. MFP isn't a fad diet - its real and will offer real results but it mainly a community of people which is the big difference between this and other diets you can find.

If you are motivated and want to engage please add me, comment on what I do and I will to you :-)

Good luck
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Yes it works! I couldn't have lost weight without it. You do have to be totally committed though, decide to do it and stick with it EVERYDAY.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    First off, this isn't a diet. It's a lifestyle change. If you commit, then you can do it. You just want to want it. No one is going to do this for you, YOU have to do it!

Annnd, I'll toot my own horn and show pix. This is what mfp did for me.

small.jpg

Wow! You look great! Nice job :flowerforyou:
  • TheOperaGhost
    Options
    "Train like your stronger fitter evil twin is plotting to kill you."

That's a great avatar.
  • TheOperaGhost
    Options
    I started two and one-half weeks ago, and I've lost about 12 pounds.

MFP works for me because it shows me how many calories I've consumed in a particular day, and I know that if I don't go over my limit, I'm going to lose weight.

And it's pretty cool to see that I can eat what I want (just not as much as I used to), and if I do any sort of exercise (even housework), I can eat more and still lose weight. :)

One day at a time. Enter everything, and be honest. You'll meet your goal. :)
  • TheOperaGhost
    Options
    The success just feeds on itself, doesn't it?

(And I'm not even exercising!)
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've lost 3 stone, just over 2 stone before joining MFP.

Before someone told me about MFP I was logging all my calories on a spreadsheet. The principle was the same although it was unsophisticated and I didn't make allowances for exercise calories.
  • NewJay12
    NewJay12 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You have to be dedicated - the one thing that worked the most for me was just realizing how many calories are in what I was eating and allowing me to moderate the amounts. It works if you stick with it. I'm proof.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    FitnessPal works because we support each other which is one of the most important factors in weight-loss.

I used to weigh 70-plus and now I'm about 55 - 60kg.
    Just stay active and we will be there for you!
    Also, keep an eye on your calorie counter. Its a powerful tool.
  • MissLucyDee
    MissLucyDee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Slow and steady wins the race. It helps to have such a huge supportive community who are doing the same thing as you, and achieving their goals. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • hollye31
    hollye31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've lost 44lbs in 4 months as of MFP. Its a lifestyle change in which allows you to see what you are putting into your body. It influences the healthy choices and is the best thing I've ever done with my life. Diet pills and fad diets are NOT the way forward, you can do it on MFP easily, just read all the success stories, proof :)
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I lost five stone (70lbs) and have kept if off for five years. I'm now back to lose weight to get to a healthy BMI. No MyFitnessPal last time but I'm finding it a great help this time to work out what it is best 'value' when I'm out and about. For example, in a restaurant with work I was able to search for the restaurant name and make good choices. I've also got a FitBit which I love.

It really is a lifestyle change rather than a short term fix. I haven't counted calories in the five years just kept an eye on whether my clothes still fit.
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    I think if you're ready to really commit to a new lifestyle MFP will work for you. I have been really overweight for all of my life that I can remember and joined MFP to "go on a diet and lose weight" but after being on here a bit the switch flipped; this isn't a diet. This is how I need to eat/exercise in order to not only be "skinny" but HEALTHY. In the beginning I strictly used the app and just tracked calories but after visiting the forums a few times I'm now addicted; I don't post often but I get on to read every day. There is so much you can learn from other members on here it's wonderful to have not only the resource but the support! As for how much weight I've lost? 41 lbs in a little over 6 months :)
  • IcassI
    IcassI Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal works just like any other program. It's really not the program that fails its the person. Any diet will work if the person follows it minus any medical issues that could come in the way.

I started MFP on January 23rd and I have lost 31 lbs so far. I'm currently at my goal weight and I am working on strengthening my body and becoming strong. MFP will only work if you are dedicated to really losing weight. Your mind has to be in it, if its not, you will not be successful. Think of the reasons you want to lose weight and focus on those when temptation strikes. And if you fall into temptation tomorrow is a new day, just keep plugging away. You can do it! :happy:
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool. We all have to make it work ourselves.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!