Any other single parents deal with this?

Options

Replies

• YaBoiMUGS
    YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
    Options
    Im up front with them. In fact, my son is often bait.

just kidding, he picks up chicks just for me

My uncle used to take his daughter to Hooters as "bait." Worked like a charm.

Going to hooters with a $20 bill works like a charm too lol
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Im up front with them. In fact, my son is often bait.

just kidding, he picks up chicks just for me

Oh hell yeah, I've used my son to help me pick up chicks at the beach, but that's only when I'm trying to smash. I put dating on a whole 'nother level though lol.

This doesn't work the other way around...I fail to see the fairness of this...

Lol that's because women find being a great father to be a "sexy" quality. I've noticed younger girls have no problem sleeping with a single father, but dating them is a different story.

and by younger girls I mean above drinking limit.

Ok...I'll give you that one...being a good father is definitely a sexy quality :bigsmile: But, then, so is being a good mom :wink:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    When I met my ex husband I had one child and he had two - obviously it never put either of us off.

When i met my husband I had three children including one special needs and I was always honest about it. I did date a few guys who did not understand that my children came first and they quickly went by the wayside.

If anyone is worth keeping they will accept that you have a child or children.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Only men have run....or maybe it´s just my personality or looks....some people just don´t want to handle other peoples children
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I suppose it happens to me sometimes, but I really dont care... because if they were not willing to accept my daughter than I dont want them around... we are a package deal, you cant have me without her (and some men have tried).

I always mention my daughter up front, and if I am online dating it is on my profile... no secrets here, take it or leave it... I dont want to waste my time with someone who is immature or who doesnt want kids.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Constantly! I raise my kids alone (their dad lives across the country and is barely involved). My boys are only 3 and 4. Doesn't seem to matter that I got married, then had kids and ended up divorced. I would think the divorced thing would bother guys more than the kids. Oh well, the guy isn't worth it if he walks away over me having kids.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Young women aren't that accepting of it. Understand, most of the woman I date, or smash, still live with their parents. :/

You must be young....lol

If they can't accept your children, they're not worth your time.

I was going to say something like this...OP is either pretty young...or has a ittle growing up to do.

If you are smashing a chick...The hopefully you learned from the past and jimmy up...a true Smasher would have no problem SMASHING while have a kid and not run a chick off because well....You are just smashing...

now if you plan on make a girl wifey material...then hopefully you have some respect for her to tell her you have a child before smashing?

I personally never had a girl run when I disclose I have a child...in fact I have women want to know more about me...and have become closer to me.....

I don't know your issue
  • MadeInDR022
    MadeInDR022 Posts: 260
    Options
    Young women aren't that accepting of it. Understand, most of the woman I date, or smash, still live with their parents. :/

I'm 24 years old. And I would never turn down a man because he has kids. To me, its beyond idiotic.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    My daughter is front and center in my life, so it's really one of the first things any man ever finds out about me. I understand that some people choose to not mention their kids in the first couple of dates to be cautious, but my idea of caution is that I do talk about her, but I don't mention her name for a while, or little identifiers that will keep her safe. I also don't let anyone meet her until I (and she) are VERY comfortable with the idea.

I wouldn't keep your child from them, put it right out there so you don't waste time with people that scare easily, but don't tell them anything personal, just say I have a child from a previous relationship and I'm not ready to talk about that with you yet, but I just wanted you to understand all aspects of ME and know where my priorities and obligations are coming from. If we go any further, I'll be ready to talk about it more indepth with you.

That's the only advice I can give.

Lauren
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I think they don't want to deal with baby-mama drama. Or maybe they feel they're too young to come second to someone? Just my thoughts. I haven't been single in 7 years but if I met a guy I liked and he had a kid it wouldn't bother me.

Well that's what i say, but who knows?
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It's happened once or twice. I try to make a point of mentioning my kids fairly quickly so I don't end up wasting my time. I've been fairly lucky that a lot of the guys I meet either have kids of their own or really like kids so don't mind that I have them.

Hope you find somebody like that, everybody deserves that happiness.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    That is because a single mother has her children around 24/7 and their children are the biggest part of their lifes.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

I'm 24 years old. And I would never turn down a man because he has kids. To me, its beyond idiotic.

Idiotic might be a bit harsh. Not everyone wants kids, and if that's the case they're not likely looking to potentially raise someone elses. Not necessarily a bad thing.
  • ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always tell them up front. I'd rather them find out right away. I'd rather cut my losses at the begining without having any feelings.
  • samairon
    samairon Posts: 46
    Options
    I've been a single mom to two boys for over a year, no dates so far, but I would defiantly bring it up first just so I don't waste my time with someone who can't handle kids.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    It never gets to a date if they don't like the fact I have two daughters. I offer that info up first and foremost.

The main problem I have is with guys when I tell them I don't WANT to have anymore kids. Some guys have waited until their 40s to decide they want a family and.... well, I'm done.

THIS!! What IS that!?!?
    I swear, 90% of the guys I meet are all "I'd like to have kids."

Dude....I'm 39. This baby factory is closed!
    (sorry, off topic) LOL
    ^^ This! was my issue. My baby factory got shut down at 30 though.....By choice. Dating someone now, who has no kids and loves mine.... Makes me wonder though if he really is ok with not "reproducing" so to speak

Though to the OP I never had an issue as guys pretty much knew from the get go I had children. ei: want to go out Staurday Night?...Me: Sure, I have a sitter on stand by ......voila, they know instantly. This is never something I would keep private about. Perhaps revisit the type of ladies your chasing?
    In any case dating when your a single parent is never easy.
  • MadeInDR022
    MadeInDR022 Posts: 260
    Options

Idiotic might be a bit harsh. Not everyone wants kids, and if that's the case they're not likely looking to potentially raise someone elses. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I suppose I may have been a bit too harsh in my choice of words.
  • YaBoiMUGS
    YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
    Options

You must be young....lol

If they can't accept your children, they're not worth your time.

I was going to say something like this...OP is either pretty young...or has a ittle growing up to do.

If you are smashing a chick...The hopefully you learned from the past and jimmy up...a true Smasher would have no problem SMASHING while have a kid and not run a chick off because well....You are just smashing...

now if you plan on make a girl wifey material...then hopefully you have some respect for her to tell her you have a child before smashing?

I personally never had a girl run when I disclose I have a child...in fact I have women want to know more about me...and have become closer to me.....

I don't know your issue

Trust me, I've done enough growing up. No, when I'm smashing, I don't care if I even catch their name. Now when I'm trying to wife up a shorty, like I was planning with this one, I bring it up usually on the second date, because let's be honest, if I'm giving you a first date, then I see potential in us growing together, let alone a second one, cause it's something she should now before we go further. Sometimes though, it scares them off. Like I said, I'm still in college, but I went back after I got out of the Navy, so I'm around younger women, 20-25, a lot. A lot of single girls around that age have no intentions of dealing with someone else's "baggage." They don't care about smashing because all they get is me, and I'm cool with that, but if I'm trying to talk to you, get to know you, then it becomes an issue.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options

So let me get this straight...most the women you date/smash still live with their parents (you're 26 so I'm assuming they too are in their early 20's), don't like men with kids and don't show up to dinner dates you take the time to prepare???

I do believe you need to change your taste in women...stated in the nicest way possible :flowerforyou:
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You meet somebody, hit it off perfectly, then when they find out you have a kid, it scares them off. It's probably about to happen to me again, but has it happened to you?

Women are created to have babies! If you meet a woman and she wants nothing to do with you after finding out you have a kid, you're probably better off! Esp if you are looking for something long term!