Tanning ?

Options

Replies

• enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    << um, what do *you* think my opinion is? LOL!

My friends sometimes playfully urge me to get a tan, but I refuse. I used to tan a lot, but quit "cold turkey". I don't want to look like a leather couch when I am older. Cancer doesn't sound nice either.

And there is no such thing as a "safe tan."
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Pale is the new tan. :wink:

Seconded.
  • bridgettegarzonie
    bridgettegarzonie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I work at a dermatologist office. Excessive tanning causes skin cancer. Tanning in a tanning booth is MUCH WORSE FOR YOU THEN NATURAL SUN TANNING! Always wear some sunscreen, I promise you will still get color, but less likely to get skin cancer. Do yourself a favor and don't tan at a tanning booth. Do spray tan if you want a lot of color.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I embrace my pale.

I wear sunscreen (SPF 100, yes, it exists) whenever I'm outside. I

I like the look of being tan but to me it is not worth the risk.
  • JayJayUGW110
    Options
    I've use to tan until I heard you're 75% more likely to get cancer! :( I never go anymore even though it's free at my Gym. I get the fake tanning lotions to give me a little color. Victorias Secret also has a tinted body lotion shimmer called Beach Sexy that i'm in love with! :))
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I tan because I have psoriasis and it helps, my skin is not leathery and I don't have any wrinkles yet (I'm 32).
    My dermatologist says I'm at low risk of skin cancer because of my complexion. (I'm naturally pretty dark because I'm part native)
    He told me that the lighter you are naturally, the higher the risk is.
    I think if you are smart about it and don't overdo it you should be fine. 5-10 minutes once a week.

Yeah, and my dad didn't have to have any melanomas removed until he was 50. You're not immune just because you're only 32.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    "just because people tan DOESN'T mean they will get cancer! Your statement is ridiculous!"

I agree!

I do try to get some sun WITHOUT using sunscreen. I have a mole on my leg that gets checked every year when I go on for a physical. During the winter, yes, I will use a tanning bed 3-4 times a month to help keep my severe eczema under control. Yes, my dermatologist is aware of this and he has no problem with it. No, I do not use sunscreen because of my eczema and it actually burns and makes it worse. In addition, my dermatologist says that anything above SPF 30 is a SCAM and that you're wasting your money. Just because the SPF states that it's higher, doesn't mean you're going to get the protection from the sun that it says you're going to get.

FYI--sunscreen is not entirely fool proof in preventing skin cancer. I do know someone who religiously uses sunscreen and is now battling skin cancer. In addition, studies have found that by blocking ultraviolet rays, sunscreen limits the vitamin D we produce.

Vitamin D deficiency is getting to be a problem now and your body does need SOME sunlight (WITHOUT sunscreen).
  • Elle_45
    Elle_45 Posts: 43
    Options
    I love the tanning bed around March to get my base tan, and the best 20 minute nap ever, but this March I was having a pre basal cell cancer removed so needless to say I didn't go. I miss it, it was therapy but not enough to go back and have another skin cancer taken off. It was painful while it was healing. I had to use a cream afterward in case there were any remaining cells left and it made my joints hurt.

I can still tan with SPF 50 on, but I have all kinds of lines on my chest and I hate that.
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    One day I will die. I will live my life enjoying it in whatever way I find appropriate. The odd tanning bed for 99.9% people won't change a thing.

Too much of anything kills you, everything is toxic at a certain level.

Do what you find appropriate for you and allow others the same virtue! :)

*like*
  • morganalex
    Options
    I've always believed everything happens for a reason and as long as you're okay with it do what you what. I've not been on the sunbeds yet for different reasons but I plan to during the winter, the lack of sun we get in Scotland it might do me some good haha!

Not wanting to start a debate over pro-sunbeds or not just simply stating my opinion :)
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options

So, what you guys are saying is that instead of dying from natural causes, you would be totally okay with dying from cancer. Wow. I hope you guys don't have family to watch you suffer from making horrible decisions. You might as well pick up smoking and go play with some asbestos if you really think cancer is a good way to go.

No offence... but strange to read this from you when I look at your profile pic... :huh:
  • babyshambles11
    Options
    Use fake tanner.... Tanning beds will age you like crazy.
  • LaLouve_RK
    Options
    Ok, guess I'll have to talk seriously on the subject.

Fact 1: 1800s-1900s - working outside all the time, no sunblock - Highest cause of death in adults: Pulmonary viruses. I read a lot and never saw "CANCER" yet.

Fact 2: My old friend's brother was 14 years old when he got a skin cancer. Never tanned, he couldn't has a red hair he would simply burn.

Fact 3: At normal dose, there is benefits (normal is not like tanning mom) http://www.healthiertalk.com/sun-really-so-dangerous-0597

Fact 4: Sun or not, some will age awfully, some will never hydrate the skin a be beautiful at 90 some not. Hydrate, sun or not... mostly when sun bathing.

Fact 5: I will NEVER stop going in the sun, with a lil sunblock or a tanning salon once or twice per weeks during winter time. I need it to get my "vitamins".

If we listen to everything, we would be drinking purell, and walking in the streets in big bubbles.
  • morganmay92
    Options
    It's up to you
    Me myself I prefer to be pale...I like fair skin actually...most people would tell em I need to tan but I tell them to **** off.
    I mean sure it looks dull but its better for my skin...I will age better, I have a high risk for skin cancer anyways since I'm pale, and plus some people over due fake tans...they looks bad.

My mom actually went to the dermatologist and he said people with fair skin, blue eyes or green eyes, and freckles....have the highest risk to get skin cancer some point in they're life so I'm cautious!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would never go in a tanning bed. I am mega pale (I do go outside without sunblock for a bit everyday, gotta get some vit D, plus sunblock itself is full of chemicals so I try to only use that if I am going to be out for long periods where there is no shade to avoid burning) but I am not a big sun worshipper. I am scared of that spotty neck that all the sun worshippers get. LOL

I do think looking tan looks a little better so if we are going to vegas or something, I do the Sun FX spray tan. It's not bad chemicals and it looks good/even. You have to get naked and have a person spray you but whatever. LOL
  • morganmay92
    Options
    Pale is the new tan. :wink:

agree
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Fact 1: 1800s-1900s - working outside all the time, no sunblock - Highest cause of death in adults: Pulmonary viruses. I read a lot and never saw "CANCER" yet.

Don't think people lived long enough back then for cancer to be a big issue...
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First of all, I just have to say to all of you saying tanning causes cancer, do any of you smoke? Talk about buying cancer!

Now, onto tanning. I am super pale, and we go on vacation to the Caribbean at least once a year. I always tan for a month before we go because otherwise I would roast! I start going for 3 minutes every other day for a week, then 4, then 5. By the end of the month, I am normally up to 8 or 10 minutes. I have a little bit of color to add some protection from the sun. I am not saying tanning is really a good thing, but it is far better than burning!

And, I know there are arguments that tanning doesn't keep you from burning, but in my own personal experience, it absolutely does! I tanned before we went to Jamaica, and my shoulders and my cheeks got a little pink, but not bright red. I went to a water park with my neice for a day with 60 SPF on without tanning, and my face, my scalp, my shoulders and my chest burned to a crisp!

So, I don't just tan for fun, but I think it's a good idea if you're going away to some place super sunny.
  • LaLouve_RK
    Options

Don't think people lived long enough back then for cancer to be a big issue...
    I saw 50-60s on average.
    Still. Skin cancer is not age related, just said that my friend's brother got it at 14!!!!!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't tan in a tanning bed, but I am outside a lot in the sun. I use sunscreen if I am going out for a long time, but you still get tan. I think it's fine to get a little sun (my opinion) I just try not to overdo it. You can most definitely tell on older people if they have been lifelong tanners or not. And those women that aren't even that old, but their skin is orange and looks like an old baseball mitt, nasty. If you can't get out in the sunshine, I think a little time in a tanning bed is ok.