Protection from dogs.

Options
reese66
reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
Out walking today I was bitten by a pitbull, not the best walk ever but I survived it and will carry on. For the future what would you suggest? Pepper spray or something like https://cbgsafetyproducts.com/dogchaser.htm, both say the don't work on all dogs so maybe both? Opinions?

I don't want to hurt an animal but I don't want to be hurt either...

Replies

• reese66
    Options
    No one?
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Did you call the authorities about the dog?!? Any dog that is vicious should not be allowed to roam free off a leash.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

You should consider speaking to an attorney.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    you seriously need to report that to the police! and you have to check with them anyway to see if it's legal in your area to use pepper spray or mace on a dog.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Steel tipped boots and a good kick in the ribs will usually do the trick.
  • lissymae11
    lissymae11 Posts: 71
    Options
    I've never used it, but my dad used to cycle a lot, and I know he carried around pepper spray. He did use it once, and from what he says it was pretty effective.

Though in some states (like here in Mass) you have to get a gun license in order to carry pepper spray...
  • CMB1979
    Options
    you seriously need to report that to the police! and you have to check with them anyway to see if it's legal in your area to use pepper spray or mace on a dog.

Safety trumps legality. You have a right to defend yourself from wild animals no matter what the "law" says.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    We saw a show the other day and they were using "Bear Spray" (not on dogs, but on bears and showed it being sprayed on a guy) and it's tons more effective than pepper spray. I'm not trying to be mean.. but no matter what bread of dog if it is coming at me, I would want to have the best thing possible to make sure I don't get bitten

I have 2 dogs myself and love them, but if (heaven forbid) they ever got loose and attacked someone for any reason I would expect that person to protect themselves.. so not hateful posts about being a dog hater because I'm not.
  • earthtoemilyy
    Options
    pepper spray will help if that happens again. i'm sorry that happened to you.

i do own a pitbull who would never hurt anyone, but i'm not going to stick up for the breed in general because so many things do happen. i also would never let mine roam free--sounds like a bad dog with bad owners, and i do hope you notified the police! both for your sake and for the next person this dog tries to bite.
  • CMB1979
    Options
    Maybe you can carry a bag of cayenne pepper in your pocket and break it open when the dog shows up.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I've never used it, but my dad used to cycle a lot, and I know he carried around pepper spray. He did use it once, and from what he says it was pretty effective.

Though in some states (like here in Mass) you have to get a gun license in order to carry pepper spray...

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Pepper-Spray-Laws-Restrictions-sp-6.html This site might help with knowing what you can have in your state, OP.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    WOW.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Dog mace. My aunt runs with it everyday (she has a lot of dogs in her neighborhood). I don't use it because there aren't really any loose dogs around me, but she says it works extremely well.

Also, if you got bit, you really should find out who the owner is. You need to tell them you got bit. It may not be a first offense and if it isn't the dog could be considered dangerous.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    We saw a show the other day and they were using "Bear Spray" (not on dogs, but on bears and showed it being sprayed on a guy) and it's tons more effective than pepper spray. I'm not trying to be mean.. but no matter what bread of dog if it is coming at me, I would want to have the best thing possible to make sure I don't get bitten.

Thank you! ANY dog can be dangerous... not just pits. I'm not going to go on a soapbox about how unfairly pit bulls are criticized, but I will say that even a Jack Russell Terrier can hurt you if it wants to.

That being said, I carry a 3-inch long knife on me at all times. Helped me defend myself against a robber (or rapist, I didn't stay around long enough to find out). Pepper spray is another great idea. But dog or person, if I feel the need to defend myself, I don't want it getting back up for awhile.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

You should consider speaking to an attorney.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

The Breed is not all bad and should not be judged on a whole by some inbred bad apples!! I have a friend who raises Pits and they would lick you to death before the bite, unless you were to physically threaten or harm them or their family! I agree there are ones who were never abused that just have issues this is usually due to MAJOR in breeding, which again is not the fault of the animal, but of the breeders! There are bad apples in the human race too, that we just don't understand why they are the way they are, should we as humans be banned too??

Sorry for the soap box, but it just gets my goat the way this breed is so often villianized and that half the time,a "Pit" is not even a pit bull. There are many breed mixes that look like pit that are not... OK... Off the box now!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options

Its not the breed. Its the animal. Any dog, even a mini poodle can bite when not properly trained or kept on a leash.

To the OP - Definitely carry pepper spray, and make sure you report that bite. You were lucky, but if this dog is often out, the next person (or child!) might not be as lucky. Who ever owns the dog should be more responsible. Never run from a dog, it will only make them chase you.
  • reese66
    Options
    The dog was reported but allowed to stay because the owner had the shot records. They will take it if it attacks again between now and the court date in September.

I was so scared and just imagine if it was a child instead.

I didn't run, I really wasn't sure what to do honestly. I only began walking again after the owner had control of the dog.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The dog was reported but allowed to stay because the owner had the shot records. They will take it if it attacks again between now and the court date in September.

I was so scared and just imagine if it was a child instead.

I am looking at the site I posted earlier and the stun batons look interesting and might suit your needs
  • retriev00
    retriev00 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Was the dog unleashed and attacked you? Did you have to get stitches? How severe was the injury?
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    N/V..
This discussion has been closed.