Do you weigh yourself everyday? Why or why not?

Options
This morning I decided not to drive myself crazy weighing myself everyday but it's so tempting!

Replies

• BrookeOB777
    BrookeOB777 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weight every day, but I only log once a week. If I weigh in on Thursday, I'll do an average of wed/thurs or tues/wed/thurs just to be sure I'm actually losing! I can't resist the scale temptation!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i do!! i just like to see how my body is doing. it helps me stay on track. i don't beat myself up too much but it's good to know where i am so i can plan accordingly for the day.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I read that weighing yourself everyday is a good idea if you're trying to lose, but somehow i find it to be frustrating. Your body naturally fluctuates at least a pound or two, so after being good for a few days and i see the number go up i just get mad. Once a week might be better
  • QuietImperfections
    QuietImperfections Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every week. I don't think I could weight myself everyday, it'd drive me nuts. :laugh:
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself whenever I'm in the bathroom! But not because I'm obsessive about weight loss, I'm still trying to lose some but I just feel so good about the weight I've already lost I like the reminder!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    No, weight fluctuates and I want to be fit and healthy, not obsessed with a number on the scale.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    The scale motivates me! I get on it just about every day.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Once a week on the same day at the same time in the same conditions (nude after the shower).

If I did so every day, I would be frustrated with oddities such as water weight (which can fluctuate 1 to 5 lbs!) and muscle gain.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do. It helps me stay motivated and helps me understand the effect that certain foods or situations have on my body. Yesterday, for example I did a ton of yardwork and was fairly sore this morning, and sure enough, that soreness had a couple pounds of swelling water weight to go with it. I find it a great way to receive feedback and adjust my behavior patterns as necessary.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I try and weigh once a week. I don't mind seeing it during the week to make sure I'm on track but if I start getting obssesive about it(which I do), I make hubby hide the scale till Friday morning :) I only log once a week though. And during my TOM, I try not to weigh at all because I retain water really bad and don't want to get discouraged. I know as soon as I'm done the water weight will come right back off, so I weigh in after :)
  • ces25
    ces25 Posts: 3
    Options
    same here - don't think it's bad if you do weigh yourself every day but you may find that between day 1 and day 2 the difference can be 5 pounds! def. take the average and only log it once a week. I suppose it also depends as long as you understand that your weight will fluctuate and if it goes up slightly not to be too hard on yourself.
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I can't go a whole week without checking in, but I try not to weigh everyday because it can get frustrating!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning but only record it on Saturdays. I find it very helpful rather than discouraging (as many people experience) because I have more information about the daily fluctuations in my weight and how my daily choices/activities affect the number. It also helps me see problems at the start rather than when they've become harder to deal with. If I only weighed once a week, I might not notice an increase or issue for several weeks when I'd finally collected enough data, but since I see what's happening each day, I can see things sooner rather than later. Also, it actually prevents me from getting upset. If I weighed only once a week, and the number was up, I would probably be really discouraged. But since I weigh every day, I can tell when it's just holding water from too much sodium or a hard workout because I may have seen a loss just the day before.

However, you can't put any meaning into those numbers or you'll drive yourself crazy. See it, record it, move on. That's the key, for me anyway.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    every time i walk in the bathroom.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but only use Wednesday as my official weigh in day to track progress. I like to see what I ate the day before does to my weight loss and make sure I don't get too far off track.

I also take pictures and measurements every 30-90 days depending on how much work I've put into it recently.
  • Turmoil4
    Turmoil4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It really depends. If I feel as if I have had a good day (diet and exercise) I will weigh myself. However, for the most part, I try to do once a week at the same time (Monday mornings - right after getting out of bed).
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'll log for life, so it doesn't matter.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I decided to go once a month. I'm at a stage where most of my "progress" will be visual changes with little to no coloration to the scale. I would think I look and felt better and the scale number would make me think I'm wrong. Now that I don't weigh I just look and feel better and nothing tells me I'm not.
  • kumitekg
    kumitekg Posts: 61
    Options
    I read that weighing yourself everyday is a good idea if you're trying to lose, but somehow i find it to be frustrating. Your body naturally fluctuates at least a pound or two, so after being good for a few days and i see the number go up i just get mad. Once a week might be better

This ! Although... couldn't you have the same effect weighing once a week, if you happen to weigh yourself on one of those "fluctuating up" days ?
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I weight myself about 2 times a week to log-in. Sometimes I'll weight throughout the day (like in the afternoon or evening) to see how my weight fluctuates.