Do you weigh yourself everyday? Why or why not?

Options

Replies

• CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Every day and just because - I am at least as much interested in making sure I am hydrated for cycling purposes than in my weight. Also, I do like to see the fat percentage below 10.
  • roi58
    roi58 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Like many others I weigh everyday but record on Friday mornings. That way I have the week to correct any weekend over indulgences.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I did at first, but it wasn't helping me. So now I weigh about three times a week, first thing in the morning in my pjs. I only log it when my weight goes down.
  • sexy_RN88
    sexy_RN88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, after using the facilities but before eating or drinking anything. I only record it on my home tracker once per week, but I can't stand not getting on the scale. I get anxious if I don't.

In all honesty, I probably need to think about putting the scale in our storage room and only bringing it out to use once per week. I tend to get really fixated on seeing those numbers go down, and if I can't see progress (or if I only see a little bit), I get depressed...but I'm very impatient and have caught myself having unrealistic fantasies of dropping 5 or even 10 pounds in one week. Probably not setting myself up for long-term success by doing that.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    i weigh myself every morning. i use it as motivation to make positive food, exercise, and sleep choices every day. i don't get upset if numbers don't go down each time and i can anticipate blips but as long as the overall trend is downward, i am pleased with that and consider it progress. to me, the scale is just another tool to measure progress :)
  • ShadowChaser16
    Options
    Every morning just because I'm curious. I also like weighing after workouts. But I don't put too much thought into it or I would go crazy. Somedays I weigh 5 more pounds than I did yesterday haha! Or 10 more pounds when it's TOM! But as long as the number on the scale is decreasing month by month I'm happy.
  • bea10989
    bea10989 Posts: 5
    Options
    yes! every morning... i have a slight addiction to a number that means nothing.

if anyone would like to help me though i would love it and it's not about how many times i way myself. it's about what i eat. i'm under my calorie goal everyday but i feel like thats so much food to eat if i do hit that 1200 goal. what do i do!? (and is that the reason why the number is not moving?)
  • mommiejohnsonof6
    mommiejohnsonof6 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I way myself every single morning . It really motivates me to either do better that day or show me how much of a great job I am doing so it really helps me I dont beat myself up if I see a gain i just keep on going in the right direction :happy:
  • dub73
    dub73 Posts: 70
    Options
    Dr. Oz says that it is ok. I agree with the others who gave their input.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, right after getting off the toilet first thing in the morning. I only log decreases, however, because I'm eating at a known deficit and any increases are obviously going to be things like water retention from excess sodium intake or a little extra "used food" in the colon.

Weighing daily helps keep me accountable.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I do, just to keep myself accountable. Sometimes, I get off track and before I stray too far backwards, that number helps to get me back on track!
  • rachelblair09
    Options
    i weigh myself all the time im nuts 8-)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the mornings everyday to keep myself motivated. I always tell others to do what's best for them because some might and some might not.
  • bailuna
    bailuna Posts: 56
    Options
    I do not. I weigh myself once a week. If I weigh myself every day, I will become obsessed with the number and find myself discouraged if it's not the number I want it to be. So I eat healthy, exercise, and at the end of the week, I see how I've done.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    if anyone would like to help me though i would love it and it's not about how many times i way myself. it's about what i eat. i'm under my calorie goal everyday but i feel like thats so much food to eat if i do hit that 1200 goal. what do i do!? (and is that the reason why the number is not moving?)

It might be. I'd experiment with the following:

1. Make sure your macros (carbs, protein, fat) are in balance and that you're getting all the micros (Vitamins, iron, calcium, etc) daily. If you're not going to feed your body all the calories it needs, at least feed it reasonable proportions of everything it needs.
    2. Eat more calorie-dense foods to try and get your calories up.

As I get closer and closer to my goal ("healthy" BMI is now 4.5 pounds away), I'm finding that I have to increase my calories and lower my expectations as to a pace for weight loss in order to keep losing weight and keep my energy up for my exercise. I'm now eating at a weight loss pace of 1 pound a week, eating back all my exercise calories, and I'm starting to find that weight loss is only happening when I overeat based on that, not when I undereat. I may be adjusting my weight loss pace to a half pound a week pretty soon.

But there is no "right answer" I or anyone else can give you - you have to experiment for yourself. Personally, if you're struggling to meet such a low calorie intake, I'd concentrate on increasing your calorie intake with good quality foods in proportions to feed your body better, and see how you feel (and what you weigh) in three to four weeks.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but only to keep myself accountable and I don't freak out over every little gain,but I only log once a week unless I'm part of one of the challenges on the forum.I've learned it's not all about the number on the scale to and more about how my clothes are fitting and how I feel.
  • ksun10
    ksun10 Posts: 76
    Options
    no. i weight once a week (on monday mornings). your weight varies too much from day to day to weigh on a daily basis. in order to get a good idea of actual weight loss and not the size of the previous day's bowel movement, its better to weigh less often.
  • carolinesmiles
    Options
    Ugh, I do. I wish I didn't, but the scale is just so tempting! I take the number with a grain of salt, though; because my scale sucks. The one at work and the one at the gym are much more reliable, so I usually have an "official" weigh-in on one of those scales on Friday.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    No way!!!!! It would drive me crazy to weigh that often. My weight will fluctuate throughout the week and level off (and hopefully drop) at the end. Even though I know this it is very depressing to see it go up during the week. Once a week works best for me!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself today and according to my WiiFit I had gained 0.6kg since about a month ago.

Now, according to conventional wisdom I should be freaking out and wringing my hands in despair. Possibly heading for a tub of ice cream for emotional help if I were that way inclined.

Given my clothes detinitely fit better and my belt is tightening I choose an alternative reaction .... Woo hoo!

Weight? Schmate ...